What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Lubitsch touch is on full display in this 1940 masterwork, with its clever script brought to life beautifully by a cast headlined by James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.

The Shop Around the Corner (1940)

Released: 12 Jan 1940
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 99 min

Director: Ernst Lubitsch
Genre: Comedy, Drama, Romance

Cast: Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Frank Morgan, Joseph Schildkraut
Writer(s): Samson Raphaelson (screenplay), Miklós László (based on a play by)

Plot: Two employees at a gift shop can barely stand each other, without realizing that they are falling in love through the post as each other's anonymous pen pal.

IMDB rating: 8.1
MetaScore: 96

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Beautiful review, Josh. I'm really looking forward to picking up my copy today, along with five other new Warner Archive Blu-Rays I've ordered that have arrived all at once. Ever since "The Shop Around The Corner" came out on DVD, it's been on regular Christmas rotation at the Matychuk home, not just because every time they say "Matuschek" our ears perk up like Asta's, but it certainly adds to our fun.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I just watched the wonderful Blu-Ray. What a fantastic thing it is to be able to watch such a movie as this with such a quality and at this price it is such a bargain. I may be expressing myself like a character from "The Shop Around The Corner" for some time. Just call me Matuschek, for now.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I actually had never seen this movie before but it was recommended to me this holiday by one of the streaming services I subscribe to (HBO?). Thoroughly enjoyed it...my first thought was "hey a much better version of You've Got Mail" lol. And it was nice to see Jimmy going after an age appropriate woman (through no fault of his own, I'm sure, Hollywood loves to pair older men with younger women).

Just got my copy from Amazon and can't wait to see it's PQ. It looked very good on streaming, so I can imagine it will look better on disc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got this disc too! I knew of it from the Tom Hanks film and I’ve not seen either film! So I look forward to finding a good time to watch it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m extremely happy with the quality of this and Warner Archive’s other two recent holiday releases, It Happened On Fifth Avenue and Holiday Affair. They didn’t have original negative for any of them, and I really had to go from my 55” TV to my 106” projection screen to begin to notice. The audio tracks were all significant upgrades from the DVDs. They actually added bonuses for the BDs, which isn’t something they always do. And despite (understandable) mailing delays resulting in the discs not arriving until after Christmas, I quickly lost myself in the films and felt the Yuletide cheer. I don’t think I’ve ever had reason to give out three 5/5 ratings in a row and this time it was an easy call. These discs will get played every December in my house, but they’re too good to wait until then to get.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I’m extremely happy with the quality of this and Warner Archive’s other two recent holiday releases, It Happened On Fifth Avenue and Holiday Affair. They didn’t have original negative for any of them, and I really had to go from my 55” TV to my 106” projection screen to begin to notice. The audio tracks were all significant upgrades from the DVDs. They actually added bonuses for the BDs, which isn’t something they always do. And despite (understandable) mailing delays resulting in the discs not arriving until after Christmas, I quickly lost myself in the films and felt the Yuletide cheer. I don’t think I’ve ever had reason to give out three 5/5 ratings in a row and this time it was an easy call. These discs will get played every December in my house, but they’re too good to wait until then to get.
I'll happily second that. Last week, when I picked up a stack of 6 Warner Archive Blu-Rays (The Shop Around The Corner, Holiday Affair, It Happened On 5th Avenue, Mister Roberts, The Curse Of Frankenstein, and Tex Avery Screwball Classics Volume Two) and Gremlins 4K from my local retailer, Videomatica, I quipped to B.J. that I was getting more Warner Blu-Rays than there were Warner Brothers. I know, ouch, but Christmas II has that effect on me.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
My disc came today, and I watched it tonight. I was captivated by the video quality. Looked like it was shot yesterday. I love this movie so much, and I am so happy to have it looking so beautiful now.
Mine arrived from Amazon today after BB cancelled my early December order. I didn't order it from Amazon until Thursday night at about 9:00 p.m. and got it today less than 72 hours later which is kind of a miracle considering how my discs have been arriving the last month or so.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mine arrived from Amazon today after BB cancelled my early December order. I didn't order it from Amazon until Thursday night at about 9:00 p.m. and got it today less than 72 hours later which is kind of a miracle considering how my discs have been arriving the last month or so.
Yes, I didn't order until Amazon dropped the price to what I'm accustomed to paying for WA discs from them. WHen they did, I ordered immediately, and it came THE NEXT DAY! I waited six weeks for The Pirate after I ordered it! The mail right now (as well as availability of WA discs from Amazon) is completely unpredictable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvin christ