What's new

. . . "The Rookies" - Season Two . . . (1 Viewer)

TvCopFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Gail
Shout! Factory doesn't appear to be releasing Season Two (in 2012) as earlier indicated.
Releasing "S.W.A.T." - Season Two - before "The Rookies" just doesn't make sense, especially given that it was a spin-off of the series (its 2-hr. pilot was a "Rookies" - Season Three episode).:confused:

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I think it's still coming, sometimes companies pay no attention to running orders like that. Timeless also recently jumped to Season 9 of The Virginian, when they're really at Season 6. Network in the UK's done similar spin-off series relation jumps, like Yus My Dear before Romany Jones, etc.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I am also waiting and wondering about the rest of this series. I think it is one of the more dated shows that came out, lelating to the social issues of the time. However, the beautiful Kate Jackson is reason enough for buying the show.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
dhammer said:
I am also waiting and wondering about the rest of this series. I think it is one of the more dated shows that came out, lelating to the social issues of the time. However, the beautiful Kate Jackson is reason enough for buying the show.
That was the main reason I watched the show originally when it was on ABC.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I bought season 1 as a blind-buy, but could not make it thru all the episodes. The show played out more like a soap opera, than a good old fashioned police drama.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
jim_falconer said:
I bought season 1 as a blind-buy, but could not make it thru all the episodes.  The show played out more like a soap opera, than a good old fashioned police drama.  
I think the sub plot lines which include kate jackson and her tv husband and the two batchelors may appear to be a soap opera, but imo i think it was just way to add a personal touch to the show.. The stories were very good, especially officer had their own issues to deal with as part the stories. I still like the show just because it was very good cop drama as it follow recruits through the police academy to their first assignment. I really like Gerald o'Louglin as the Sargeant, especially with providing guidance and instructions to the rookies. There many police dramas in the 1970s like starsky and hutch or police woman or SWAT or Police Story or Hawaii Five-O or Adam-12, etc. You could say the 1970s was overran with police dramas and that would be true statement. Each decades seem to have certain genre as its focus for its viewers!!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I enjoy the show and want the other seasons however, This is one I have to be in the mood for. I own many police/detective shows from the 60's and 70's. Some stand the test of time better than others. The Rookies is one of the shows IMO that is stuck in that period. The themes and attitudes of the time make it less relevent today. Racial issues, social justice, anti-establishment, anti-war, etc. The idea of young people trying to make a difference where the older generation couldn't was kind of done with the Mod Squad.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by dhammer /t/318497/the-rookies-season-two#post_3908686
...I own many police/detective shows from the 60's and 70's. Some stand the test of time better than others. The Rookies is one of the shows IMO that is stuck in that period. The themes and attitudes of the time make it less relevent today. Racial issues, social justice, anti-establishment, anti-war, etc. The idea of young people trying to make a difference where the older generation couldn't was kind of done with the Mod Squad.
I certainly have to agree with this. I was just recently discovered Naked City, and will be pulled into the drama unfolding in each and every show. While watching "The Rookies", I just never had that same feeling.

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
Hi all. I just got the 2nd season in the mail today and was surprised to find that the packaging said absolutely nothing about the pilot movie being included. Season 2 had 23 eps and they're all listed. I even checked the menus on the first and last discs to see if either one had the pilot on it-they did not. Did Shout Factory decide to hold back on including it? Last I heard it was supposed to be included and I did not see anything anywhere about the pilot movie not being included. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
For some reason it is not included on this set. I went to the Shout Factory page to see if there was anything about it, but their forum page is down due to overwhelming spam posts. It won't be back up for a few more days. I suggest emailing tvshowsondvd.com to find out the scoop.

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
Brian Himes said:
For some reason it is not included on this set. I went to the Shout Factory page to see if there was anything about it, but their forum page is down due to overwhelming spam posts. It won't be back up for a few more days. I suggest emailing tvshowsondvd.com to find out the scoop.
I think I will do that. Strange how the pilot seemingly disappeared without any warning. Being a Darren Mc Gavin fan I wanted to see how he compared to Gerald O' Loughlin as Lt. Ryker- the latter did a great job in the role.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And yet another chapter written in the saga of Shout screwups........

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well, this is strange. Considering the pilot TV movie was mentioned in the Shout! Factory fact sheet for The Rookies: Season Two (posted on TVShowsOnDVD's website back in mid-May), this is baffling why it's not been included in the set.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
vnisanian2001 said:
The day Shout Factory goes bankrupt will be one of the best days ever.
Sorry, I don't think losing one of the few companies who give a rat's pattooty about older/classic tv shows would be a good thing. All they need is someone with some clout who will put the customer first. Maybe some lessons from Mr. Timeless would help (who, despite fiscal limits, generally delivered decent, reliable goods to a niche market)....

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Oh come on. Ever since Brian Ward made the heartbreaking news that they were going more mainstream, they started screwing up more than ever before, with little care in whatever they put out. The more they piss off fans, the more revenue they lose.
Anytime a once respected indie label goes mainstream, it is the kiss of death.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Look, I think it's silly to wish for Shout to go bankrupt. Let's not damage legitimate arguments against the company by crossing into that territory.
Shout does, however, have to get its act together because the more these kinds of PR gaffes happen on their part that result in substandard DVD releases, the more its only going to create apprehension whenever word of a new release comes out.
Rookies is not one of my favorite 70s cop shows but I was prepared to get it because of the pilot's inclusion after it's non-inclusion by Sony in the S1 release. It has now become a big fat emphatic NO SALE with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks