What's new

The Rat Patrol: The Complete Series Re-Release from Shout (1 Viewer)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
So, what do people think of this series? I'm aware of it, but not familiar with it. I like and own Combat and Baa Baa Black Sheep and I'd own Twelve O'Clock High if it were available.

How does the 1/2 hr. format affect the storytelling?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I liked it during the original run and still greatly enjoyed it when I purchased the original season sets. Surprisingly, the half hour format doesn't hurt that much. Sure, there are stories which could have benefited from a longer format but this one is more action/adventure type stuff and they jump in quickly. It's not as deep or serious as Combat but still has some good characterizations and stories. Since you like Combat and Baa Baa Black Sheep I'd say get it. Especially at the $25 price currently at WM.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I did not see this series during its first run but I did catch some episodes on ME TV. I missed the MGM releases of both season so I will probably pick up this Shout! Factory re-release.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow this already had a single season release and a complete series release. So its surprising that they would release this again on DVD. If it was a blu-ray release I would purchase it again.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I would think that Shout has taken on another RAT PATROL re-release with Walmart in mind...good move on their part as it must be a low cost acquisition for them and they obviously believe that there is sales mileage left in it with Walmart's huge logistical reach. Just guessing, but I hope it's a success for them... I have it complete in the original MGM season releases and regard it as an entertaining show with good, and sometimes great, action...not at all in the same dramatic league as the all time great show COMBAT!...but RAT PATROL never aspired to that level...there's no pretense in that, as it succeeded as what it intended to be, just like BLUE LIGHT, JERICHO and GARRISON'S GORILLAS...for me, COMBAT! (strong throughout, especially the phenomenal third season), most of the first season of 12 O'CLOCK HIGH (and parts of the second season), and some of GALLANT MEN represent the best of '60s war drama television...the early Vietnam war era stateside Marine Corps drama THE LIEUTENANT also has it's memorable moments...

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I considered purchasing Rat Patrol recently, but found out that it was out of print, and never pulled the trigger. I'm glad it is available again, and will make the purchase this time.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh, and RAT PATROL has that truly great Dominic Frontiere music too! It's also a colorful and great looking show with some very good cinematography shot in the Spanish desert, Vasquez Rocks, Mojave at Lone Pine, etc...impressive sets, MGM and Spain...and employed the best stunt men in it's many action sequences...good cast of course...Hans Gudegast (Eric Braeden), Christopher George, etc...hope that his later series, THE IMMORTAL, is coming from VEI...

I first watched RAT PATROL as an 11 and 12 year old and was out of my head in excitement...loved it...years later I had a lot of range and maneuver training on the Browning M-2 .50 cal heavy machine gun mounted on an M-113 APC and discovered the true power of this awesome weapon...shows like RAT PATROL and COMBAT! never did it justice...you can chop through walls with it...and using armor piercing incendiary rounds, chop through walls and burn houses down with it...scary, really...

Ya gotta love a show that was shot by a cinematographer named Brick (Marquard)...and had an assistant director named Dink (Templeton)...ha, ha...

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
RAT PATROL also has weird and wonderful things like guest star Jack Jones in season two's 'Do-re-mi Raid' (who was a very popular singer in the '60s) playing the piano and singing 'That Tiny World' to a bunch of Champagne swilling German officers...just before he slaughters them with his submachinegun...

You also get all the great usual casting of guys like Alfred Ryder, Albert Paulsen, Wolfgang Preiss, etc. as sweaty villains of the week...along with the delightful casting of Ed Asner and Milton Selzer as nasty nazis...and Stanley Adams as an Arab...singer Fabian was in another episode...Andy Williams one time girlfriend and soon to be accused murderer Claudine Longet in another... it's a real '60s artifact...

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Has anyone seen this Shout re-release of The Ra Patrol: The Complete Series for sale anywhere (either online or bricks-and-mortar)? The release date was supposed to be November 28th but I have not seen it available anywhere I've looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks