What's new

The question of dubbing (The Passion of the Christ, and others) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Back on the subject of subtitles...

I'm surprised at how well Hero did this weekend, considering it's subtitled. Maybe Crouching Tiger... paved the way for more acceptance on this one, but at least one person I know was surprised it was subtitled, and although he enjoyed the film he admitted he will watch the dubbed version on DVD.

Oh, and two more foreign films that put their US counterparts to shame

La Femme Nikita (Point Of No Return)
The Vanishing

...just saying.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
quote:I prefer to experience a film in its own original language and I'll always choose subtitles over dubbing. But having said that, I do have to admit that sometimes your eyes are so busy reading the bottom of your screen that you're not "really" seeing the acting/facial expressions/events on the screen

I agree, although I still wouldn't have it any other way. My girlfriend reads WAY faster than I do, which I imagine allows her to enjoy the visuals more, but it's still not too much of a problem.

Some of our favorite foreign films are largely visual films, so even if I miss some dialogue the film is still very enjoyable. City Of Lost Children comes to mind.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
quote:I am not a fan of *any* foreign film. IMO, if a film is good enough, it will eventually be made in the USA.

Unfortunately, that's true, and the day that some Hollywood director attempts to remake a film such as Jean de Florette or The Bicycle Thief then I may just boycott the local multiplex for the rest of my natural life.
wink.gif

quote:Everyone else can stop arguing with Mr. Walker, and get back to the original topic(s).

Okay...I agree that's probably wise. Back to topic...
smile.gif

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Joking aside, we all (??) know intelligent and/or educated people who won't watch a movie with subtitles, in B&W, or with black bars. I think it doesn't mean anything, strictly a matter of taste, and it's pointless to force somebody to endure something that annoys them during what should be an enjoyable (film) experience. You can try to "educate" them, but that's like talking about how good eating a liver and tofu casserole is...

Anyway, I think Woody Allen pretty much covered my opinion of dubbing in What's Up Tiger Lily.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, I know them, but I think less of them for it. Freedom of opinion is a two-way street. ;)

M.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
quote:we all (??) know intelligent and/or educated people who won't watch a movie with subtitles, in B&W, or with black bars

Not intelligent and/or educated about film and that's what we talk about here at the HTF. They could be brain surgeons or rocket scientists but that says nothing about how I perceive their comments about film or how seriously I take their opinions. MOF, I would expect an "educated" person to better understand the reasons for appreciating subtitles and/or B&W films and would think lesser, not more of their opinions if they say they "will not watch them". Ignorance is more easily accepted among the stupid, that's my motto.

quote:I think it doesn't mean anything, strictly a matter of taste

Yup, bad taste.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I don't choose to dislike my friends just because they choose not to learn a tiny bit about film appreciation. That's all it means. I certainly don't much listen to their opinions of movies though, something I just realized while typing this up...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I see, better a million 'ignorant' people not see the latest French tearjerker as it was intended i.e. in it's original tongue, than one person watching and enjoying it dubbed. Right?

If one day you catch your parents watching a dubbed film on the telly, your immediate thought is what "uneducated, ignorant, stupid" people?! Say it isn't so.

If the only way some people would get anywhere close to a foreign language film is if it was dubbed into English, let them I say. At least they are making an effort to see films from a foreign country, even if the voices do sound suspiciously like Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks