What's new

The Police: Every Breath You Take- Nice!!! (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
So I was in BB taday after work and I was intent on getting Daredevil but I happened into the music area and saw this:
[url=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008LDZ0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg] [/url]

picked it up to look at it and BAM! SOLD! Came out in March and it presents every(?) Police video from 1978 to 1986 and then some. Fantastic collection. This DVD is a corner stone of a great rock music DVD collection. And it's extra good on a Friday afternoon.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Btw I put Daredevil back. I could have afforded them both easily but for some reason I didn't feel like getting both. I think I'd like to wait for a used copy of Daredevil for like $15. The Police DVD was labelled $17.99 but when I got to the counter the girl charged me only $10.81 so maybe it was on sale. :D

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
what bit rate is the DTS track is it 768, 1.544 or open rate like the DTS CD?? Thanks for the info I'll prolly go pick this up.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Sorry I have no idea as far as the bit rate but this is a mandatory purchase. I can watch this over and over. I'm taking it to a friend's house tomorrow for show and tell. :D

The Old Grey Whistle performance of Can't Stand Losing You is excellent. Andy has an amazing solo.

Off topic but this is my next music DVD purchase when it comes out later this month. :emoji_thumbsup:

Then the Pink Floyd classic albums DVD... it's a great time for this stuff!!

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
It's a pity that the M/C mixes by Bob Ludwig suck when compared to the David Tickle mixes ported from the DTS CD. This is one of the first, but certainly not the last, case of Electronic Unwrap encouraging laziness in the mixers.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
1 little nitpick... At least on the DD trk. "Every little Thing" is different! (Actually, it sounds like an entirely different alternate take...)I play drums, know the trk. and all it's drum fills VERY well, and it's DEFINITELY a diff. trk. The famous fill at the end is gone. If you watch the same video on the "Documentary", it is the proper original trk... Do an A/B, you will be surprised. There's also some cheesy delay added to "Can't stand losing you" that's not on the album...(Listen to the opening drum fill...)

Minor quibbles... but still....

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Check out the 2-channel track too- parts of some songs seem to be missing (listen to "Wrapped Around Your Finger" and you'll see what I mean.)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
1 little nitpick... At least on the DD trk. "Every little Thing" is different!
When the DTS CD came out I had read that they couldn't find any of the original stems for Every Little Thing so they had to redo it from scratch.

Edit: Or was that Don't Stand So Close?

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Nope - it was De Do Do Do that was redone (on the DTS CD and SACD M/Ch). There is ongoing debate as to whether it was a demo used or a tape from the '86 sessions

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Well, The take they used for "Every little Thing..." at least on the DVD is inferior to the original. And it isn't just a case of the original tracks being remixed in a different way. The vocals are different, the guitars and especially the drums. The famous snare fill near the end, da da da da, da da da da da, da da DUM is gone. What's funny is watching Stewart playing it in the video while there is now no fill. Watch the documentary version instead. It might not be in 5.1, but it still sounds MUCH better....

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
The first couple of times I watched this DVD it sounded awkward. Some songs just sounded plain weird, different versions etc. Then finally it dawned on me that I don't have a DTS receiver and that if I push the audio button on my remote to change the audio on the disc- walla! Traditional versions of the songs I love. Or at least it sounded a helluva lot better for me and my setup. :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Ok I'm confused. I thought audio 1 was DTS while audio 2 was normal 5.1. So audio 1 is 2-channel while audio 2 is really the DTS track? Then when you get to the Special Features section there's an audio setup area that I believe has DTS, 5.1 and 2 channel stereo.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That's the order it's listed, but the audio tracks are actually:
1- Dolby 2-channel
2- Dolby 5.1
3- DTS

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
At least on the 2 Dolby trks. Every little thing is a completely different take. Not just missing instrument trks. or a new mix. Different tracks. Diff drums, Diff. vocals, and diff gtr. licks... Play Every little thing on the Jools Holland documentary and compare. THATS the orig. Notice the big snare fill at the end. It is non-existant on the "Video"...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Every little thing is one of my favorite Police songs, actually one of my fav songs period. Oh well, I'm gonna go get this. Somene sent me some links to some police stuff on youtube the other day and I've got some Best Buy money to spend.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Listened to the stereo track (both 5.1 tracks sounded like crap).

After one listen/viewing at lower-than-I'd-Like levels (wife) I'd say there are possibly only 3 or 4 videos/songs that have the original audio. The differences range from that sounds different to WTF!? Very bizarre.

At first I was pissed. Then I thought it was kinda cool. I already have the orig. music so now I have some different versions. Now I'm somewhere in between. The bogus versions are cool but it'd also be nice to watch the videos with the 'real' music.

Dave Mack is exactly correct. It appeared to me that all videos (not just Every Little...) on the Montserrat feature have the orig. audio (but poorer video).

Regarding Don't Stand... '86; I had heard and seen it years ago and was able to block it from my memory. What a horrendous miscalculation. The nightmares are back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks