What's new

The Party SE and What's New Pussycat? (1 Viewer)

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I just thought you'd like to know that us europeans will be getting these two titles come June, 7th. These have been so far unavailable in R2 and until a R1 announcement comes, these are also exclusive to us because the current R1 edition of the Party is a bare bones release.

Whilst What's New Pussycat will be anamaorphic widescreen with no extras whatsoever (not even a trailer is announced as possible extra), the case is different for The Party. Expect as confirmed features and extras:

- 2xDVD
- Making of Inside the Party
- The Party Revolution: a new Technology
- Profiles of the filmmakers: Blake Edwards, Walter Mirisch, Ken Wales
- TV-Spots
- 1971 interview with Peter Sellers
- Photo Galleries
- Original Theatrical Trailer

Not sure if it's going to have a new transfer. I sincerely hope so. An audio commentary would have been nice too. The covers for these two titles are already available in some european online retailers.

I hope these couple of DVD news made the day for some of you!

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
Got them both today and couldn't be happier (in fact, I could - the Pussycat DVD could have at least the trailer on it...)!

Both are in their respected aspect ratios and anamorphic, and The Party DVD has wonderful (and I mean it!) animated menus and great extras to explore! One extra that I didn't know of is the inclusion of 3 commercials Sellers did for Barclays Bank.

MGM has been doing great things with their Sellers titles of lately and they are to be commended for it!

I got mine from Spain, since the UK aren't getting them until September but they are also available in Germany, so take your pick - the editions are the same in content, the only difference are the outside covers and the 8 page booklet accompanying The Party SE DVD that is written in the language according to the country where it gets released.

Anyway, I just wish I could share my joy with all you R1'ers but I guess you won't be waiting long.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Agh...the Party is my favorite Blake Edwards Peter Sellers collaboration, I must have this, but due to financial constraints I will wait for the UK version unless news of a Region 1 one comes.

Lino Reno

Stunt Coordinator
I had never seen What's New Pussycat and was pleasantly surprised to see that it is in fact a very good little piece of quirky comedy! Being a huge fan of Woody Allen is was gratifying to confirm his early comedic genius was a vibrant one, even though the producers took some (i.e. a LOT!) of liberty with the script causing the author to threat them to abandon the project altogether!

So, it came as a surprise when upon further investigations on my part of the whole deal, I found out that a sequel of sorts had been made in 1970 by the name PUSSYCAT, PUSSYCAT I LOVE YOU (reprising a line of the original's title track sung by Tom Jones)!

Apparently, it was not as good (although some love it!) and has quickly been erased from a lot of memories. Still, as this is a United Artists title, it is bound to surface any time in the near future courtesy of MGM.

Does anyone know anything about this and would care to comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.