What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Picked up Suicide Kings yesterday. Seems like an interesting movie so far as I only watched 1/2 of it and fell asleep (not because of the movie, I was tired)
Seems to have some quality special features.
Was also going to pickup Crush with Alicia Silverstone but I wanted a Digorno pizza instead :)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, the Wal-Mart in my little Canadian city finally got The Bin. Few good titles, many repeat whats in the states, but so far no cool surprises like COMA or MUTE WITNESS or MANHUNTER or the Fox Asian movies that I picked up across the river. I scooped this list from another thread in this forum, and appended a couple of extra titles I noticed, but I saw all of these titles at my local bin last night, so I'm guessing they're pretty much the same across the country.

Airplane!

Fun in Acapulco

Cobra

The Beast

On Deadly Ground

The Butcher's Wife

She's Having A Baby

One False Move

Firestorm

Victory

Night Shift

Solo

MacKenna's Gold

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane

Chill Factor

Pacific Heights

Freddy Got Fingered

Dolores Claiborne

Boys On The Side

Monkeybone

The Mosquito Coast

Final Analysis

Outland

Altered States

Nine Months

The Ice Storm

Titan A.E.

The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Again, no big surprises yet.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What is up with Canadian Wal-Marts getting Airplane! in its bins?!

I just saw Airplane! for sale in a U.S. store (not Wal-Mart) for just $9.99, but the bargain hunter in me has kept me from getting this much-wanted title until I find an even better deal. I have yet to see Airplane! in a Wal-Mart bin...let alone a Wal-Mart store.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
About Freeway, is the one with Kiefer Sutherland?

Yikes, avoid it like the plague. Not even worth renting.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
What is up with Canadian Wal-Marts getting Airplane! in its bins?!
Hey, they gotta give us something if we're gonna cast aside our dignity and wade into the sea of fat pants and hair dye! Besides, we're very nice up here. :b ;)
Besides, the other Paramount titles are crap. Now if they'd just toss Airplane 2 in there.

Jeff Keezel

Agent
New to this thread but a Walmart bin diver for some many weeks now. Brings back fond memories of plowing through the album "cut-out" bins at Woolco back in the 70s.

So far I've grabbed: The Beast, Casualties of War, Ice Storm (Sigourney Weaver with a whip!) and Stalingrad.

Target now has the (nearly) equivalent with a discount wall showing titles for 14.44, 9.99, and 5.99. Eleven cents higher but no wading through a bin - all titles neatly displayed. Picked up the Titan A.E. last night and a new release of Five Easy Pieces last week...thekeez

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen Airplane! at Target lately either.

It's funny. But its one of those titles I've had in my mind to pick up for a long time and I look for it most stores that carry DVDs. And, while I see it for $10 or $15 in different places, knowing it is available for bargain prices keeps me from getting it until I find it for a rock-bottom price.

I'd ask one of my friends to the North to pick it up, but shipping would make it more expensive than $10!

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator
16x9 or not, Freeway was one of the worst Sutherland movies.

At BestBuy's $5 bin, Ground Control is a better choice for Kiefer fans out there.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Just remembered I saw Van Damme's LEGIONNAIRE in the Canadian bin, bare bones version only. Canadian Lion's Gate version of RED ROCK WEST was there too, full frame though (but not mentioned on package).

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Freeway. It received good reviews and the vast majority of feedback I have seen over the years on forums has been positive. Atleast enough that I believe the negative opinion is either the minority or not enough to discourage anyone interested to give it a viewing.

I would provide some links to reviews for anyone curious about it but I'm not worthy. Just check out DVD Basen, MRQE, Berardinelli, Ebert, Salon, etc that those sites list as all the reviews I clicked on were positive.

Jeff Keezel

Agent
From splicedonline: "Freeway" is "Little Red Riding Hood" with a white trash, teenage tramp Red (Reese Witherspoon) versus a serial killer wolf (Keifer Sutherland, continuing his tour de force of great American creeps).

The sheer creativity of twisting a traditional fairy tale into a cheesy B movie might alone make this movie a drive-in novelty, but "Freeway" is much more.

$5.88 sounds just about right. I think I'll pick it up...thekeez

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
My Wal-Mart just put in Jaws Revenge and that Brendan Fraser movie Dudley Do Right, Raising Cane and some others that are new but mentioned before.

The bad thing is that they moved the entire bargain bin about 50 feet down the isle toward the front of the store, near the candy isle. Now it seems that nobody is even going near it. Probably because of two reasons, its more busier where its now relocated and that customers who look through it would be embarrassed and think others would think that they are cheap.

Now the only thing I can do is get there when they first open.

My Wal-Mart has also changed the layout of the DVD section and expanded it into the other side where VHS was.

They also have stocked some of the FOX 2-packs. Going for about$19.00 for 2 DVD's. They also just put on display some Columbia 2-packs for about $16.00. Just thought some would like to know.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Virus (1999, 16x9) has hit the bin.

Looks like a fairly poor scifi flick with some notable Hollywood talent.

I passed on it.

============================

Also of note, Wal-Mart has added alot of newer titles to it's $8.88 and $9.99 racks (look where the Family videos *use* to be).

I'm talking *newer* movies like: K-19, The Hunted, Swimfan, The Core, Dark Blue, NARC, and several others.

I was kinda shocked, since I bought many of these movies for $10 as ex-rentals.

My only pick from the new $8.88 area was a little gem called 'Something to Talk About'.

I also would have bought 'DOA' for $8.88, but they were sold out.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I picked up 2 more from the bin:

Virus

Universal Soldier

I hated Freeway when I first saw it years ago, I picked it up from the bin to give it a second try. I enjoyed more this time, it's rather absurd but it was a decent way to waste some time.

Virus, was pretty bad, but worth the 5.50 to me anyay, sometimes I get in the mood for a bad sci-fi movie and this fits the bill.

Universal Soldier is a good actioner. They had 1 copy of this and I say the clerk walk by me looking at the cover rather intently, I watched to see where he put it then snatched it before anyone else noticed. I know, I'm crazy, but this is one of those movies I kept putting off getting....

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"I enjoyed more this time, it's rather absurd but it was a decent way to waste some time."

Same here. Saw it when it first came out on video way back when(1998 i would assume). Thought it was so so. Then saw it in the bin and had heard everyone talking about how great the movie was. To be honest, and I'm ashamed to say it, I totally missed the Little Red Riding Hood reference the first viewing. The second viewing was TOTALLY different. Laughed my a$$ off in parts, very dark humor if you like that sort of thing. But it is totally a 'B' flick and well worth the 5.50 price tag.

Also stars Brooke Shields(mmm), Amanda Plummer, and a relative new comer at the time Brittany Murphy.

Chet

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I also would have bought 'DOA' for $8.88, but they were sold out.
I was passing another Wal-Mart so I stopped and found a copy of DOA (1988).

I had checked IMdb previously and thought the disc was 16x9, but it's not.

IMdb has a single entry which indicates 16x9, but the listing is for R2.

Usually they list R1 first, but this time not at all apparently.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
16x9 or not, Freeway was one of the worst Sutherland movies.
This is not a lead role for him, he is a supporting character. I'll give you that it's maybe not one of his best roles, but I'd be willing to bet it's not one of the worst movies he's been in. According to IMDB, he has 55 movies, TV appearances, voice-overs, etc.

Opinions anyone?

ps, He does a pretty good job gettin' hit with the ugly stick! See this movie and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks