What's new

The Ongoing Wal-Mart $4.88/$5.50/$5.88 Bargain Bin Thread (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Mute Witness has been available for some time, but it's never been easy to find for a decent price. I've had quite literally given up hope of getting it for a good price, or finding it used (in both cases because it's a great film, but not a popular one), so I felt a great sense of relief in finding in the Wal-Mart bin. If only more people were aware of what a great little thriller this is.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
I always thought there was nothing but old crap in those bins and so never even bothered to look until today. In two seconds I picked up The Freshman, one of my favorite movies.

It's two sided, and I'm not sure if I've ever even watched it in widescreen before. And for only $5.50!

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Craig
I'll see what I can do. When I was over there last weekend, they had quite a few in the bin. However, the first time I found it and bought it, I went back exactly one week later to grab one for a friend out west and not only were they all gone, but the bin was half empty (this was back in early January). I kinda figured it was the price and not the fact that Port Huron, Michigan is crawling with Mute Witness fans. Nonetheless, it's a vastly underappreciated film and it's director, Anthony Waller, has yet to top himself.
I'm going over on Friday, so if I spot copies, I get you one.
I really wish Wal-Mart Canada would start doing this. Our under $5 discs are almost always that public domain crap. $6.88 sometimes gets you some decent catalogue stuff, but only at Boxing Week or for about two weeks in spring/summer when they have another "blowout," and even then, they're selling some titles for $11.66 and $14.66 and $17.66 that ALL goes in the US bins at $5.50. WE ARE GETTING RIPPED OFF UP HERE!! And at a store, no less, that seems (at least locally anyways) to be the paragon of quality for every piece of trailer trash we've got 'round these parts (perhaps yours has a little more class).
For a good deal, though, no amount of fat pants and hair dye can stand between me and the bin! :)
Anyways, I'll keep you posted on Mute Witness.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Brian. They just started these bargain bins at the local WM's last week, and in fact only installed the "bins" (troughs?) proper this week. I was thinking I would pick up a few titles for traders, but by last night all the better stuff was gone and there was almost nothing I'd ever heard of in the bins. There were *lots* of guys looking through the bins, and we were all talking and recommending this and that, so I did get a couple titles I knew nothing about. I guess the women have more self-respect than to dive into the bins, got the impression the guys were looking while their wives were shopping. The nearest WM is one of those that almost can't sell full screen DVD's, definitely WS country here, very surprising to me in some ways, I certainly don't consider this a "sophisticated" area by any means! But the customers I have talked to about DVD's at WM over the years are certainly pretty knowledgable about DVD's, like the people here.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
New stuff I saw in the bin today:

- Strange Days (very good movie, LBX-only)

- Raising Cain (thriller, mixed reviews, 16x9)

- Kull the Conquerer (fantasy, poor reviews, 16x9)

I threw down for Raising Cain only (already have SD).

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Well, the bins haven't reached as far south as Sarnia I guess, as I didn't see one in there last night. Maybe soon. Is everything $6.88 Craig? That's not bad, except for the retarded Ontario sales taxes.

Also have to keep my eye peeled for Raising Cain when I'm over the river. Thought that was a pretty decent movie, but never would've bought it for much more than the bin price as it wasn't a collection essential.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Brian: Yes, the titles in the bins are $6.88. The bin is about 4' square and maybe 2' deep, and the discs are just dumped in there. Next time (tomorrow probably) I'll go to a different WM farther away and this time take my memo recorder so I can keep track of what's there, JIC anybody wants anything...lousy memory.

I'm sure you'll be getting a bin soon.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Dipped in and grabbed a few more titles. The pickings were slim, but they had some titles I hadn't found before:

Freeway

The Hitcher II

Raising Cain

Kull the Conqueror

Jaws the Revenge

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Has anybody seen The Last Seduction from the WM bin? I've heard that the dvd is very poor quality compared to the vhs version. I've seen the vhs and it's definitely worth having. But if the dvd sucks, I'll skip owning that one.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I couldn't believe "Quills" and "Smilla's Sense of Snow" were in the BB bin similar to this!

On the other hand, I could believe "It's Pat" was there. At $4.99 and a widescreen transfer, who could resist??

At $4.99 and a widescreen transfer, who could resist??
Just for the record: Me.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
Point Of No Return ~ WS

Freeway ~ WS & THX

Both $5.50

ps, I owe the WM naysayers an apology. My WM was filled to overflowing with "dregs" today. Apparently, they only mostly come out on Saturday afternoons. God, I sound like one of those pretentious bastards. Oh well, I always say, "if they can't take a joke - f**K 'em!

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Sorry, Craig, no Mute Witnesses in the US bin this weekend. No Raising Cains either.

Lots of dregs, though. You're right, Larry, they seem to come out on Saturdays. I imagined the nearby trailer parks were quiet that day. Even better was the inebriated woman who was talking to me for nearly 30 seconds before I even realized it. She saw a Bozo the Clown DVD in the bin and proceeded to reminisce ad nauseam about how her friend went on the show and “they had this bean bag toss? and she won it? and she won a case of Orange Crush? you remember Orange Crush? and so she won that and she took it home? and she didn’t want to share it? and I remember the Bozo show do you remember the Bozo show? boy that was a great show for kids in those days they just don’t HEY look, honey, The Sicilian that was a good movie remember that one? I don’t know any Sicilians I’m Irish, you know?”

I’m not embellishing here.

Luckily her husband, also tight, made some reference about getting back to the motel for sex and that got her giggling and telling him how he wasn’t gonna get if he didn’t behave and on and interminably on.

Man, the things we do to save a few bucks. On top of that, The Sicilian seems to be the only title that has been in the bin in mass quantities since the first day.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
Grabbed Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and Kermit : The Swamp Years for $5.50 a piece in Elkton, Maryland on Friday.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Picked up 'Buddy Holly Story' (16x9) in the bin.

Only saw one copy.

Checked some reviews, looks like it's worth $5.

Also saw 'Dudley Do-Right' (1999), looks like junk.

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
Went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they had restocked the bin, some things new were.

Whipped Columbia Tristar

John Ritter movie where he plays a priest, something lie Man...I Can't recall the title and DVD Empire or Planet does not list it. Might be a TV movie or something.

Chances Are

That TV Movie about the Battleship turret explosion.

Fortress 2

History of Harley Davidson

Frank@N

Screenwriter
New in the bin:

Best Men (1997, 16x9)

Unfortunately, it's not suppose to be that great.

Awkward mix of black comedy, drama, & action.

Think I'll pass.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Got Hitcher 2 in the bin on the weekend. What an absolute piece of dumb. The only saving grace is I can probably get $5 for it at the pawn shop so it only cost me about $1.75 CDN. What were they thinking in making a sequel to one of the great horror thrillers of the 80's? This suspenseless, actionless log makes you think almost constantly about its contruction, which is frustratingly weak and requires nearly all the supporting characters to be helpless morons in order to support the predetermined course of events. Also a real shame to see Steve Railsback reduced to cameo appearances in dreck like this. Skip it.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Just adding my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I love this bin. I can pick up some kids stuff really cheap and break out "A Brand NEW DVD" on a rainy day. It will keep the kids occupied for awhile. If they only watch Babar of Pippi Longstocking a few times, then the few dollars is worth it. Then, just pass them on to some other kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks