What's new

Pre-Order The Old Dark House (1932) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The thing that really ties those together, though, is Gloria Stewart's commentary on the former, not just her presence on screen. Unless I'm not following...

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
The thing that really ties those together, though, is Gloria Stewart's commentary on the former, not just her presence on screen. Unless I'm not following...

It's seeing an actress in a leading role across a wide span of time —
1932 to 1997 releases.

Does not happen often

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's seeing an actress in a leading role across a wide span of time —
1932 to 1997 releases.

Does not happen often

65 years... That got me to thinking what the longest movie career "bookends" I could find are. The best I could think of after Gloria Stewart is Kirk Douglas at 58 years.

EDIT - Norman Lloyd is at 73 years (Sabateur and Trainwreck, anyone?) but Mickey Rooney is at a whopping 87 years, although I doubt his first films are available for viewing. If we can get Sofia Coppola to act at a ripe old age that would be the ultimate ;)

Last edited:

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
65 years... That got me to thinking what the longest movie career "bookends" I could find is. Best I could think of after Gloria Stewart is Kirk Douglas at 58 years.

Lillian Gish's credits go back to 1912 and run through THE WHALES OF AUGUST in 1987. And, unlike Gloria Stuart, she worked sporadically in films through the decades in between.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Liza Minnelli technically has a 64 year gap.
(probably 69 after next year's Arrested Development)

And Rooney appeared in 10 different decades.

Charles Lane had 65 years of appearances

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Would someone please post a review as soon as it goes online. They already have a review of THE LOST WORLD (1925) on DVDBEAVER and it looks terrific.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I wonder what the "widest span of time" award would be if you scored it not on just duration between first and last significant leading roles, but on time period pretty much "at the top," meaning not the very top but as a household name, movie star level actor getting good roles?

I think John Wayne and Tom Cruise are up there with 30+ years on the A-list, but Gregory Peck had a pretty long run as a working, serious, famous movie star (say, 45 years). Burt Lancaster was up there in that ballpark. Tom Hanks seems well on his way with about 33 years and no signs of fading.

If you count Kurt Russell's career as starting with the Disney films as Dexter Riley (and ignore the lag before he transitioned to adult actor with Elvis and Snake Plissken), he's going to give everyone a run for their money. He's at about 48 years and counting.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I still would put Mickey Rooney at the top
Starting either at A Midsummer Night's Dream '35 or Andy Hardy series '38 through Black Stallion '79 (Oscar nominated) through Black Stallion TV series '90-'93, that's over 60 years of top roles.

And if you consider Night At The Museum '06, that's about 70 years

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
But Mickey Rooney was only with a mule in Francis in the Haunted House.

Gloria Stuart was with KARLOFF in The Old Dark House

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
In 1937 Mickey Rooney made a short film called Cinema Circus. Co starring in that short was Boris Karloff. I think Warner Archive has put it out on DVD.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
In 1937 Mickey Rooney made a short film called Cinema Circus. Co starring in that short was Boris Karloff. I think Warner Archive has put it out on DVD.

And in Technicolor. I did not know about this short.

It does seem that Karloff's footage is archive footage.

Still, it's a circus, not a House.
Not Haunted.
Not Dark.
Maybe Old.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's footage of a celebrity circus held for charity. Rooney does acrobatics. Karloff is just in the audience with some children if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks