What's new

The Offical Fox Title Cancellation Notice Thread ( Q3/4 07 edition (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Same story, different day... :frowning:

It's impossible for me to believe anything they say now. Fox is clearly in my running for worst studio of the year. Congratulations to them!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered Amityville for my annual October horror-fest...damn!

Was going to pre-order Master & Commander when I cancelled my pre-order for David Gilmour when that got pushed back 6 weeks...damn!

At least my import of Carpenter's The Fog arrived today...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Master and Commander was going to be one of the first titles I purchased when I finally jumped into Blu-Ray this fall. That's a very big disappointment. :thumbsdown:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That's another one on my list. I hope it doesn't get the ax, but I'm sure there's a good chance it will. :frowning:

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Master and Commander is a major title for me. But I wasn't really expecting it, so I am merely having my pessimism validated with this news.

Too bad.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I've had Master & Commander on pre-order since early September. That title's cancellation/postponement/whatever you wanna call it is bad enough, but the Die Hard trilogy being bumped to a quadrilogy is MOST annoying for myself. I'm going to have to find a killer deal, combined with a decent selling rate on Half.com for the fourth one to get the box set.

When the wave of Fox/MGM titles was announced, I had a vision of BDA members literally kicking Fox execs out of bed. Looks like it's siesta time again (or at least a post Thanksgiving dinner nap).

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
this does not really surprise me either. I do remember that M&C was very heavily java related. perhaps they are still having some problems. or the BD+ is not working. I wonder if the fly remake will get delayed? that has some java related stuff.

Jacob

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Fox is a complete joke.

Only when I actually see their supposed up-coming titles on the shelves will I ever believe them.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Well they have some MAJOR competition from Warner Bros., who- although they actually release title after title on Blu-ray- don't optimise their releases to take advantage of Blu-rays higher bit-rates!

DOWN WITH WARNER BROTHERS!

;)

Vincent

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'm still trying to understand why on the first round of releases, Man on Fire was listed, then cancelled, and in the second round never announced. Argh.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

The reason that some people make a joyful noise after these kinds of announcements, is in response to the regurgitating cesspool of chest thumping, press releases, and various other propaganda that flow endlessly from the Sony / BD camp. After hearing a certain amount of the "already won" self-proclamations of superiority, you just want to grab the nearest stick...all the better when the stick gets handed to you by the captains of Blu.

I'm done now. Sorry I blew up.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think most of us on this forum are just disappointed more than anything else. I'm not going to buy any of these catalog titles anyway as a private protest to Fox's pricing structure for catalog titles, but I can understand why some HTF members are generally pissed off at Fox for jerking their chains regarding BR releases. This has happened more than a couple of times now. Who's to say which titles are next on the cancel list?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'm starting to wonder if this is more of a Sony problem than a Fox problem. Is it possible that Sony has been unable to deliver the features that Fox wants? Is it possible that BD+ doesn't work? Are they unable to produce the discs because there are too many other big titles being pressed at the moment?

I'm thinking this is more of a systemic problem than Fox just dangling a carrot and then taking it away. I can't imagine that Fox would announce titles and then cancel them just for the fun of it.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If so, you can bet Sony won't publicize any of it. You can also bet that you won't hear about it from certain people who like to say how much inside information they have.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I honestly don't think this is Fox just being capricious.

You don't just go canceling things going into Q4 (especially when you have had 6 months of downtime to crunch numbers and to get your ducks in a row) unless there were some fundemental technical issues forcing you to cancel them.

And a year and a half in, when you have supposedly already won the war multiple times, there shouldn't be any fundemental technical problems of this magnitude.

And while seeing the chest thumpers get a comeuppance does have some pleasure factor I'll admit, I'm not thrilled that it implies that my $500 purchase 3 months ago might have been a big mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks