What's new

The Offical Fox Title Cancellation Notice Thread ( Q3/4 07 edition (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hi Def Digest says otherwise, but I wouldn't be surprised if something like last week's Smallville delay happened. I'm beginning to suspect that the manufacturing problems with BD-50s are actually worse than people thought. That might also explain why Live Free or Die Hard isn't unrated on BD, if the content had to be locked down early to make sure it could be manufactured in time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The other problem is that certain people who like to tell everyone how much "inside" info they're privy to aren't interested in informing people of such problems for some reason.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

I'm not thrilled with the Fox BD pricing. But taking it into perspective for those that were with Laserdisc, it's negligible. DVDs have spoiled us, with releases costing an average of $19 for a nice special edition (or $29 MSRP).

Laserdiscs were always in the neighborhood of $29-$39, while Fox movies IIRC tended to cost in the neighborhood of $44-$49 (wish they'd release "Deadliest Art"). Then there were of course the "Special Edition" discs (Alien, Abyss) that cost $99-$125 (and $150 in some cases).

Again, I'd prefer as cheap as possible, but all things considered, it's not the end of the world in terms of BD pricing. $19 makes me buy without thinking; $39 makes me really think "Do I really want this title" - Fox will learn...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It doesn't matter which video format you want to talk about, Fox has continue that same line of thinking that early adopters will pay excessive prices to own video media during the early stages of a new video format.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Brian, I sure remember those laserdisc prices. Some of the big titles like Sound of Music, Towering Inferno, Oklahoma, Patton, Hello Dolly! and others were $69.95. Some like STAR! were $89.95, I remember well because it took a bite out of my food supply for the week, lol. I think Fox had the highest prices in the laserdisc business. Of course they had some rather grand special editions of these too, with CAV sides, and they always remastered the film for laserdisc which I know isn't cheap either. Those are the kind of titles I would be willing to pay $39.95 for on blu-ray....granted they release their classics with uncompressed sound. Fox hasn't released an older title yet, and I am hoping they keep with the "uncompressed on every disc" theory. We'll see! I've written several postal letters to Mike Dunn at Fox about this before any come out!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I still can't get over that they charge $39.95 for a complete bare bones version of "Rocky" when a full loaded 2 disc SE had just come out.

Brian-W

Screenwriter

Not quite - on D-VHS D-Theater, those tapes (Fox) were retailing for $31.99, and you could find them discounted for $23. I know, I paid $23 for Alien (never got around to opening it, and sold it for untold amounts). And that was high definition, aimed at the early adopter/techie that has to have the best. Universal on the other hand was guilty of bilking early adopters of D-VHS by charging $39.95 for their films on tape.

But alas, Fox has returned to its old nasty pricing ways...and I'll just sit it out unless it's a must have title. Library titles? I'll wait for a sale or used copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks