The Night That Panicked America

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ric Easton, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Does anyone know if this 1975 TV movie will ever be made available? It was based on Orson Welles' radio broadcast of "The War of the Worlds". I'd love to see it again.

Or maybe it's time for someone to do a remake.

2. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I remember it as being pretty good. My dad and I watched it back in the 70's and he was telling me that his aunt bought the Welles drama as real and panicked and took off...

[​IMG]

3. Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F Stunt Coordinator

According to the IMDb, it's not available either as DVD nor VHS.

Yea, I remember seeing it too and it's one of the pieces that will make a War of the Worlds marathon complete.[​IMG]

Bonnie

4. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Last night I listened to the Orson Welles radio broadcast that's on the 1953 WotW dvd. That's what made me think of that old TV movie. Funny how only the first half hour of the broadcast was the faux radio reports. I guess everyone was already running for the hills before they got to the second half!

Just watched the film tonight and now I'm enjoying the first of the commentaries with Gene Barry and Ann Robinson. It's pretty cool that they are still around to give us their thoughts.

I also picked up the 2005 version of WotW (which I liked very much), but this '53 version still holds up very well!