What's new

the new dd series from velodyne (1 Viewer)

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Was wandering if any body heard them perform yet. My dealer told me their the best out there. The dd 12 is about 2400 dollars. is it worth it Ive been using a svs 20-39cs for about a year now.

Matt Cwieka

Auditioning
ive heard the DD 12... let me tell you that it's a really good sub for the size, it's really incredible. I cannot compare it to an SVS because I never heard one, nor do I really believe it is worth the price difference (I don't see how a sub that small could compete with the volume of a tube, but it does have a fairly large amp, like 1000w max i think)

- matt

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Scot,

I don't know how much cost and/or space is a concern, but you're already familiar with SVS quality. For $2,400 you're talking the price (roughly) of a *pair* of PB2+s! I haven't heard it, but can promise you the dd12 is one darn fine sub. It may even be the best single driver 12" sub out there, but if money is an object, I doubt it can compare to 4 plus drivers, almost 2,000 watts of power, all that enclosure space, and that port area...

-Robb

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the reply but size of the sub does matter in the room it will be placed the dd12 or a cylinder sub from svs is all i can fit in the corner.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Those DD series subs promise to be fantastic. If size is a factor, and cost is not, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it in the slightest. These things are replacing the HGS subs which I have heard, and they rock.

-Robb

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I think i will go pick one up today my dealer has one in cherry that matches the B&W nautilis 804s i have pretty close. thanks for the help.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I'll be curious as to what you think of it compared to your current 20-39. I can certainly understand the cherry concern -- it's what is pushing me over the edge to go with the PB2-Ultra over the PB2+.

-Robb

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
I think it blows the 20-39cs out of the water when it comes to very musical bass. with movies it sounds just as good if not better. plus i can dial it in to the room perfect.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
technically speaking, your comparing a sub thats 400 bucks to it...I'd like to hear that velo, but I have a hard time believing it "blows it outta the water" ...again, its 2400+tax vs 429 bucks +25 shipping...for 2400 bucks, I'd grab a B4+ (as I have) and never have to upgrade again...ya, it is nice having something flattening out responses in your room, but the tweakers love doing this, so its no chore. You throw a 2039 pc+ in that corner for 1600 less, and you may not need anymore... Just a thought...take that 1600 bucks, and fill out your dvd library:)

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
TommyL,

You have a really good point -- the PC+ and Ultra are steps up from the CS unit Scot was running. I'm guessing Scot is more interested in the appearance and footprint than cost, though, and in cylindars that leaves the SS line. Remember that Scot could not fit a PB2+ in his space, however, and that would certainly rule out the B4 (though I'd bet the B4 and DD12 are not fair comparisons in more than just size, to the B4's advantage). The PB1+ will be shipping some time soon, though, and it has a choice of great stains, and should be roughly the same size as the DD12... In the end it's Scot's money, so he's the one who has to be happy. Would he be just as happy if not more so with a different SVS offering? Probably (I personally lean toward yes) but that's his call.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Andrus_R,

Any of the subs mentioned in this thread will produce big SPL numbers and have great sound quality. When I talk about sound quality of a subwoofer I think of accuracy. That is, how low, how flat, with how little distortion even higher listening volumes. That, to me, is a "musical" sub -- when a standup bass is being played, it needs to sound like a standup bass. Many people do prefer subs to add something or remove something not in the original recording in order for it to be "musical", and I would say an SVS or Velodyne DD series sub is not for those people.

-Robb

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The DD12 is a good sub but it will not match the output of the even the SVS CS. The new eq system they come with is very handy and easy to use but one can get similar results with a $120 BFD or a $399 Rane PE-17, you have to manually set them up though(not very difficult). Since you can obviously fit a cylinder sub, I'd upgrade that(if you're looking for more), something like a 20-39PC Plus or a CS Ultra with one of the eq's I mentioned would be have more clean output than the DD-12.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Scot, you said:

with movies it sounds just as good if not better.
Think about that. Your $400, bottom-of-the-line, old-technology SVS is neck-and-neck with a $2400 middle-of-the-line, state-of-the-art Velodyne!! At least when it comes to HT.

And with music? Have you checked the frequency response you're getting with your SVS? I'm guessing here, but it sounds like you haven't had any flexibility with sub location and you haven't EQ'ed. So, who knows, you may have a very inaccurate ("unmusical") in-room response. You may not yet have heard what an SVS sounds like with music.

But don't make your decision based on internet discussions.

In your situation, you would be best served by ordering a CS-Ultra and an equalizer (either the ART-351 from SVS or a BFD, either for around $120). Get your sound dialed in. Then, sometime over the following month, bring home the Velo, and do a head-to-head. Send back the loser.

Scot Pritchard

Stunt Coordinator
Im not quite sure if i understand how to use the eq with a sound meter. some input would be nice im not a patient tweaker.my b&k ref30 has all kinds of bass adjustments. i am really considering a pc plus 2039 instead of the velo dd. i still really like my svs 2039cs but thought spending more would give me better results.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Scot,

That's the big advantage online only retailers have over other companies. It's simply amazing how many people take their hunks of flesh (and big ones) out of you when you buy at a B&M.

If you are not a patient tweaker, the dd does offer that nice advantage (but at quite a price). If you would like to save some cash, and quite possibly have better sound, try the SVS/EQ combination. Since you said you weren't very patient, you might want to go with the Art 351 over the BFD (the art is much easier to use). Get a disk of 1/6 octave sine waves (you can make one from freely available wav files on the Web) and play them through your sub. Caution: do NOT play them too loud, or for more than a few seconds. Give your sub a moment to cool down between each sine wave, too. Measure the response with your SPL meter, and adjust your EQ until you have relatively flat response on all frequencies with your sub. The point is to tame the peaks of your in-room response, not boost the dips. It takes a little work, but will probably offer a better sounding sub, and will definitely save you quite a bit of cash.

-Robb

Ned

Supporting Actor
If appearance and size matter, the PB1-ultra should easily match or exceed the new Velodyne. It will probably come in around $1k, add an ART or BFD and you've saved 50% over the Velo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks