What's new

The Neverending Story II (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
God, did this movie need to be made? Could it have been any worse?

I watched it on TV a couple of days ago. I heard about how bad it was but I gave it a chance due to the fact that the original is one of my favorite children fantasy movies of all time.

I went in with an open mind, hoping to be entertained (at least a little bit). But I never expected this movie to be this BAD!

The childlike Empress was one little ugly kid. No comparison to the original cute girl. Atreyu looked like a little drug dealer. No comparison to the little cool kid from the original. The acting is awful! The special effects...wait, what special effects? Make up? Yuck! No comparison to the very cool looking creatures from the first. The only redeming value is Falcor, even though his voice is not the same.

Did anyone like this piece of crap? lol.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
You'd be surprised. If you did a search you'd see there was an appreciation thread a few weeks ago.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I did a search before posting this and came up with nothing.

I'd love for people who liked this movie to tell me what they liked about it and how they compare it against the first one.

And those who hated it, tell me why you hated it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The real "II" should have been the rest of the book, which they left out of the first film. I recommend you go read the book, much better than either film, really.

Jason

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Was there a lot more left in the book after the point where the first movie ended?

How close did the first movie follow the book?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The first movie was fairly accurate, but ended when the book really got good. After Bastian renames the Childlike Empress, he is given Auryn and given free reign over the creation of the new Fantasia. His wishes are the basis for the new land. And as he embraces the power, he begins to lose touch with his humanity... To say more would spoil the whole thing. Try to find a copy of the book, it's FAR more rewarding than the films :)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, that kind of sounds similar to the plot of the sequel. The more Bastian wishes, the more he loses.

Gonna have to get me a copy of the book. Sounds like fun.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The premise is similar. It's in the execution that the sequels completely fall apart, whereas the book just keeps getting better :)

Justin Hargis

Stunt Coordinator
Three things, from NeverEnding Story II, that quickly leap out of the screen and punch me in the face are:

1. Falcore has a different voice.
2. Rock Biter has a different voice.
3. I don't buy the new Atreyu.

If only Wolfgang was at the helm of II and III. It could have been a great trilogy.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Agreed. The Neverending Story could have been an epic trilogy, if only they hadn't treated the sequels as cash-ins rather than true continuations of the original story.

Maybe someday someone will get it right...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks