What's new

The Mummy(Ult.Ed.) and RATM's Battle of Mex... (1 Viewer)

Patrick_L

Second Unit
i saw these at a local used book store yesterday where i also picked up Super Speedway for $5.99! i know a special ed. is soon coming out, but for that price i couldn't pass it up.
anyhow here are my questions:
is The Mummy (Ultimate Edition) worth the upgrade from the first release?
and how is Rage Against the Machine- The Battle of Mexico?
as always any replies greatly appreciated.
------------------
Patrick

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Patrick,
Upgrading to The Mummy: Ultimate Edition from the very good Special Edition would all depend on the price and how much you like DTS. I only picked it up because I got it for 9.99 at K-mart.
As far as the Rage DVD goes, it is by far one of the best concert DVDs out there. The video and sound is very good. Plus the setlist for the show is badass. I would pick it up in a heart beat if you are a fan of Rage Against the Machine, it blows away their 1st DVD release.
-Dean-
------------------
Link Removed
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
Since I am such a die-hard fan of Rage, picking up this disc on the day of its release was a no-brainer. The plus side of this disc is that:
1. The concert, like all of their performance, is extremely intense, and this is conveyed by the camerawork
2. You can put the lyrics on for all of the songs (including Killing in the Name! which you couldn't do on Rage's first DVD release)
3. The sound and picture quality are top notch
4. One of the included extras is an interview by Zack with the brilliant Noam Chomsky
The downsides to this disc are:
1. Certain songs have the profanity edited. For a band that is so big on free speech, they must be plenty pissed at the post-production crew for this! Prior to the discs release, we were promised the ENTIRE concert, completely UNCENSORED
2. They played Bullet in the Head at this show, but it does not appear on the disc. Hello.... I wouldn't call this the ENTIRE concert. I love this song, and that pissed me off to no end!
3. The disc is not anamorphic, but with a 4X3 TV, this is no biggie for me
4. The concert footage is way too overproduced. MTV originally aired some highlights of this concert about a year ago, and Rage fans (me included) were EXTREMELY annoyed at the constant slow motion and other camera effects introduced into the footage. It made things seem more like a music video than a concert. We were promised this would not be the case for the DVD. Alas, I was very upset when i popped in the disc for the first time, and the slo-mo etc. still remained.
Although these gripes seem minor, they are very dissapointing to me. But if you like Rage, pick it up anyways!

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
couldn't agree more about the rage dvd with the post above me. i had the same complaints about the way the camera kept moving in and out and in slo mo. i hope they get things right when they release their last concert of them at the olympic auditorium in L.A. i was there and it was the most amazing show i have ever been to. I would take a live Rage show over sex ANY DAY.
[Edited last by Youssef on August 30, 2001 at 03:17 AM]

Patrick_L

Second Unit
hey guys, thanks for the replies. i did pick up The Mummy (Special Edition). i have the original release and sold it yesterday to a friend for $15. so i'm out $1 +tax because i got the newer version for $15.99 :) i missed the Kmart deal for $9.99 but oh well. as far as RATM's Battle of Mexico is concerned, i think i'll pick it up as well since i do not have any of them on any video format, just cd's. thanks again for your replies.
------------------
Patrick

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
1. Certain songs have the profanity edited.
I'll admit to still not having gotten around to watching the full show, but as far as I could tell it was only the 2.0 track that was censored. They let the curse words fly in the 5.1 mix...

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I was just gonna pitch in what pete just did...but i thought it was the other way around...
oh well it's been awhile since i watched it
either way there is an uncensored version of the concert available in one of the sound formats

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I have the Battle of mexico City DVD and it is great. Apart from a few annyoances(I don't like how the ducumentaries interupt the concert, they should be offered in a separate section). For only a few bucks for than a CD (I got it for $25(Canadian!) you can enjoy a full concert(minus one song I hear)with great quality video and 2 audio tracks. I will have to listen to the dolby soundtrack tonight since it is supposedly uncensored. Or maybe I will wait since I am stuck without a DD reciever so a downmix sounds poor compared to the PCM. One note about the censoring though, it seems that songs that were not easy to censor were left, such as Killing in the Name Of. But lyrics like "Either drop the hits like de-la-o or get the fuck of the commode" become "Either drop the hits like de-l-o or get the (swish) of the commode". I find it isn't too distracting. I also view this DVD alot more than any other I have, mostly because music has a better replay value I think.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Upgrading to The Mummy: Ultimate Edition from the very good Special Edition would all depend on the price and how much you like DTS. I only picked it up because I got it for 9.99 at K-mart.
Same here...a good deal for 10 bucks, but I didn't have the original release anyway... :emoji_thumbsup: from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks