What's new

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection '32 - '55 (May 16th) (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A&C MEET THE MUMMY (1955) looks startlingly good in this set in widescreen, which makes it all the sadder for me that the movie just seems to get stupider with each viewing. The dialog is amateurish, the acting (especially by Richard Deacon and, yes, Bud Abbott) is terminally dull, and the editing simply sloppy. Jokes that aren't amusing the first time are repeated ad-infinitum ("The meat's on fire!" the cobra in the basket, etc.), and continuity goes out the window when there are three mummies meandering around, and even the "real" one looking as threatening as a post-shower rainbow. And A&C's timing was way off here -- they weren't spring chickens anymore. If I had to attribute any praise to the film of (as opposed to the Blu-ray of) A&CMTM now it would be that it's better than their next and final film, DANCE WITH ME HENRY (1956), which bored me to tears even as a kid at a matinee.

Nonetheless, I can't say I am sorry to own a copy of this as part of the Mummy set, and will probably re-watch it sometime down the road, as I tend to do with many godawful films. Masochistic tendencies run in my family. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A&C MEET THE MUMMY (1955) looks startlingly good in this set in widescreen, which makes it all the sadder for me that the movie just seems to get stupider with each viewing. The dialog is amateurish, the acting (especially by Richard Deacon...
It's not a great movie but the image of Richard Deacon wearing a pith helmet saves the entire thing for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My Mummy set should arrive tomorrow. I already have the day blocked off for its viewing. :)

At my grandkid's elementary school they have the grades broken up into the continents of the world. In the 4th grade they study Africa and make Egyptian masks. The kids get oil put on their face and a cutout of a traditional head unit (looking like Tut's sarcophagus image) goes around their face. They get nose and mouth holes and the teachers start layering cheesecloth strips followed by paper mache over their face (sorry about the small photo - it's all I have). When they've dried a bit they remove them from the kids faces and when fully dry the kids decorate them.
upload_2017-5-19_12-53-22.png

So... she brings hers home, puts it on, and comes into the den making "Arrrggghhh" sounds. I look at her and say "Hello Mummy! Where's Daddy?" Yeah... I know... really bad... but she thought it was funny and that's what counts, eh? :)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
My Mummy set should arrive tomorrow. I already have the day blocked off for its viewing. :)

At my grandkid's elementary school they have the grades broken up into the continents of the world. In the 4th grade they study Africa and make Egyptian masks. The kids get oil put on their face and a cutout of a traditional head unit (looking like Tut's sarcophagus image) goes around their face. They get nose and mouth holes and the teachers start layering cheesecloth strips followed by paper mache over their face (sorry about the small photo - it's all I have). When they've dried a bit they remove them from the kids faces and when fully dry the kids decorate them.
View attachment 38224
So... she brings hers home, puts it on, and comes into the den making "Arrrggghhh" sounds. I look at her and say "Hello Mummy! Where's Daddy?" Yeah... I know... really bad... but she thought it was funny and that's what counts, eh? :)

That's pretty elaborate for an elementary school, but I'm sure it engages the kids. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My set arrived a couple of hours ago. I ordered the Fandango Movie Cash version - of course it came with none so now I'll have to hassle with Amazon over that omission. Just finished The Mummy. There's a scene with a couple of frames missing at ~32:45 that's not been fixed. Otherwise it's a excellent transfer. Up next, The Mummy's Hand.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, these films work well as double features, I shall be having a horror double bill late night Saturday nights this summer, using the Frankenstein/Mummy legacy sets plus the Universal 8 film Hammer set & the Arrow Vincent Price box set...plus the odd bottle of wine.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My set arrived a couple of hours ago. I ordered the Fandango Movie Cash version - of course it came with none so now I'll have to hassle with Amazon over that omission. Just finished The Mummy. There's a scene with a couple of frames missing at ~32:45 that's not been fixed. Otherwise it's a excellent transfer. Up next, The Mummy's Hand.
That's because it is still the "old" 2012 version. ;)

One possibility could be that it's a post preview jump edit. Those weren't very smoothly done back in the '30s.

As far as I know, the Fandango Movie Cash was never advertised on either of the versions being sold on the Amazon Canada website (Even though there were 2 different price points, and my picks were the lower priced ones!), so I suppose I don't have any recourse, in that regard?

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A&C MEET THE MUMMY (1955) looks startlingly good in this set in widescreen, which makes it all the sadder for me that the movie just seems to get stupider with each viewing.
It's not a great movie but the image of Richard Deacon wearing a pith helmet saves the entire thing for me.
If I recall correctly, Richard Deacon also had a bit of a "tan" in that film!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's because it is still the "old" 2012 version. ;)

One possibility could be that it's a post preview jump edit. Those weren't very smoothly done back in the '30s.

As far as I know, the Fandango Movie Cash was never advertised on either of the versions being sold on the Amazon Canada website (Even though there were 2 different price points, and my picks were the lower priced ones!), so I suppose I don't have any recourse, in that regard?

Probably not, but you could use camelcamelcamel to get the UPC and then look that up to see which version you ordered.

I ordered as soon as they went up. I got the versions (Mummy & Dracula) that advertised (at the time) BR/Digital/Movie Cash. I also ordered before Amazon started collecting sales tax for my state and those never had it applied. They wound up being less expensive by ~$2 each so I kept them and cancelled the other two. I'm not too upset over the missing DC or "movie cash" as I don't use DC (give them to my son and he's not a monster movie fan) and don't particularly care about "the theater experience." I ordered both versions with the intention of keeping the one that had the lowest price prior to ship date.

I've seen previews for the new film and didn't see anything that makes me want to make a special trip to the theater, even for "free." Now... If I should get MC with both Dracula and the new Brendan Fraser Mummy sets I'll likely go to a matinee and take my grandson. Otherwise I'll complain just to see what Amazon does.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd planned to watch the first half of the Mummy set yesterday and the last 3 films today. The quality of the newly remastered sequels was so good I kept going and watched everything but A&C Meet The Mummy yesterday. It was great fun! I'll watch that one later today.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
A&C Meets The Mummy has an excellent transfer and it's a joy to not have to zoom the image to get it in WS!

The only negative thing I have to say about that disc is there's no true disc menu. The film plays automatically upon insertion and then goes into an infinite playback loop. The "menu" slides in from the left side when the 2nd run begins. It has few options. I don't get why they couldn't have done a basic, static, menu and just present the options there rather than do an overlay while the film plays. Oh well... at least it's finally in true anamorphic WS.

For what I paid ($25.35) this package is a superb bargain, especially if you're a fan of classic horror films! 6 superbly restored classic Universal horror films at just $4.22 each. Wow!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I also ordered the movie cash and got the one without it. Returned and replaced with same results. Called Amazon and got an $8 credit as I remember that's what the value of the cash was. Hope I was right.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Probably not, but you could use camelcamelcamel to get the UPC and then look that up to see which version you ordered.

I ordered as soon as they went up. I got the versions (Mummy & Dracula) that advertised (at the time) BR/Digital/Movie Cash. I also ordered before Amazon started collecting sales tax for my state and those never had it applied. They wound up being less expensive by ~$2 each so I kept them and cancelled the other two. I'm not too upset over the missing DC or "movie cash" as I don't use DC (give them to my son and he's not a monster movie fan) and don't particularly care about "the theater experience." I ordered both versions with the intention of keeping the one that had the lowest price prior to ship date.

I've seen previews for the new film and didn't see anything that makes me want to make a special trip to the theater, even for "free." Now... If I should get MC with both Dracula and the new Brendan Fraser Mummy sets I'll likely go to a matinee and take my grandson. Otherwise I'll complain just to see what Amazon does.
It's not a big priority with me, either. I'm not quite sure how to use the camelcamelcamel site, as I've never tried it before.
I'd planned to watch the first half of the Mummy set yesterday and the last 3 films today. The quality of the newly remastered sequels was so good I kept going and watched everything but A&C Meet The Mummy yesterday. It was great fun! I'll watch that one later today.
I'm not quite there yet, as I've been mixing in the BATMAN "King Tut" episodes, plus have had other distractions. So far, I've burned through the first 2 Mummy discs, and the 2 BATMAN seasons with the 2 part "King Tut" episodes. High quality visuals are another shared trait for these sets.

Incidentally, Bob Furmanek might recall my not being in on the running joke about the "missing" pebbles on the "The Pharaoh's In A Rut" episode? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks