What's new

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection '32 - '55 (May 16th) (1 Viewer)

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I watched my MUMMY set over the weekend and saw something I had never noticed before. In THE MUMMY'S TOMB, when Turhan Bey and the ship steward are removing the cover from the packing case, there is a jump cut. They basically begin removing the cover (for 3 frames or so) and then it abruptly cuts to a later point in the removal. It almost looks like an editing error. Was this always in the film? Haven't had a chance to review my older versions.

Otherwise, the set is very impressive. The films have never looked this good.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I watched my MUMMY set over the weekend and saw something I had never noticed before. In THE MUMMY'S TOMB, when Turhan Bey and the ship steward are removing the cover from the packing case, there is a jump cut. They basically begin removing the cover (for 3 frames or so) and then it abruptly cuts to a later point in the removal. It almost looks like an editing error. Was this always in the film? Haven't had a chance to review my older versions.

Otherwise, the set is very impressive. The films have never looked this good.
Having never viewed any of the prior releases, I have nothing to compare. That said, I believe the jump shot could have been a poorly executed post preview edit.

Regarding THE MUMMY'S CURSE (1944), I did notice a very brief instance of heavy grain right at the 27 minute mark, at the fade in to Princess Ananka being carried to the cafe. Apart from that, the previous outdoor sequence appeared to my eyes, possibly from a slightly lower grade film stock being used, with reduced silver content, due to wartime restrictions, perhaps?

At any rate, none of the above should be cause to not enjoy the Legacy Blu-ray version of this film, which based on what I've read, is much improved over previous releases!

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There are some additional positives, regarding the Mummy sequels, that I feel compelled to add:

The amount of reused footage didn't strike me as excessive in any of these sequels, certainly not enough for me to wish that I had skipped any of the prior Mummy entries. I also thought THE MUMMY'S CURSE (1944) made a clever use of optics in its reused film segment.

Throughout the four Mummy sequels, the look and movements of the title character appeared to remain consistent, even if the required conditions for reviving him seemed to change with each film!:lol:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There are some additional positives, regarding the Mummy sequels, that I feel compelled to add:

The amount of reused footage didn't strike me as excessive in any of these sequels, certainly not enough for me to wish that I had skipped any of the prior Mummy entries. I also thought THE MUMMY'S CURSE (1944) made a clever use of optics in its reused film segment.

Throughout the four Mummy sequels, the look and movements of the title character appeared to remain consistent, even if the required conditions for reviving him seemed to change with each film!:lol:

In Ghost, I thought the reused footage stank of "let's save some bucks." I also thought the movies are consistent, but too consistent. As in the old guy/young guy passing of the baton. Thru Ghost it's been consistent. I think I'm being too picky, but I can't help myself.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
In Ghost, I thought the reused footage stank of "let's save some bucks." I also thought the movies are consistent, but too consistent. As in the old guy/young guy passing of the baton. Thru Ghost it's been consistent. I think I'm being too picky, but I can't help myself.

Yeah, you can...don't post!!! ;) Just enjoy the movies which I'm going to do the next couple of days!!!! :3dglasses:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched The Mummy's Ghost tonight (for the first time ever), and I was rather shocked at the ending which didn't reunite the lovers or end particularly happily. Good for them! Took me completely by surprise.

The transfer was wonderful. It's such a pleasure watching these films in such spiffy condition.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier today, I viewed ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY (1955) in its original widescreen format.

While the visuals certainly look great, I must confess watching this was something of a mixed bag or me. Please allow me to explain!

I first saw "Meet The Mummy" close to 4 decades ago on the Detroit based WXYZ ABC affiliate station, which used to air the Abbott & Costello Features on Sunday mornings. Today's fresh viewing served as a reminder just how extremely phony looking the Mummy in this film was! Having now finally seen the earlier Universal Mummy sequels in which Jack Pierce's superior work is quite evident, it is all too clear to me the near total lack of respect Universal paid to the Mummy in Abbott & Costello's final film for them, clearly donning what was basically a body jumpsuit! I actually found that aspect rather sickening. It's no wonder I avoided the Mummy films for so long!

That said, there were elements of the film that I did enjoy, such as the two main female players. Richard Deacon is also always a joy to see for this fellow folically challenged TV addicted (In the pre internet era, at least!) late boomer! For me, at least some of Bud & Lou's tried and true routines still worked, and I managed to be convinced that Lou was somehow scared of the not at all convincing (To viewers!) Mummy, and the somewhat more convincing Snake/s.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Now I would like to see "Abbott & Costello Meet the Keystone Kops" in restored HD Widescreen.

I think just about everyone feels that Meet the Mummy is the weakest of the 4 A&C meeting monsters movies
(meet Frankenstein, meet The Invisible Man, meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde).

As all wise men and women and children know,
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of the greatest motion pictures of all time.
Nothing else comes close.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mine came today. The packaging is a HUGE improvement over the original packaging for the Wolfman and Frankenstein Blu-ray sets. Does anyone know if they have updated the packaging on those to be like these?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I'm not sure what you're talking about. The packaging on my copies of the Wolfman and Frankenstein sets are the same as the ones on the Dracula and Mummy sets. Standard multi-disc BR case inside a nice, heavy duty, slipcase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
^I'm not sure what you're talking about. The packaging on my copies of the Wolfman and Frankenstein sets are the same as the ones on the Dracula and Mummy sets. Standard multi-disc BR case inside a nice, heavy duty, slipcase.
Mark might be referring to the UK packaging. Their Mummy Legacy set also includes a Bonus DVD of the old Universal Horrors Documentary, which is also on the Frankenstein disc.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Now I would like to see "Abbott & Costello Meet the Keystone Kops" in restored HD Widescreen.

I think just about everyone feels that Meet the Mummy is the weakest of the 4 A&C meeting monsters movies
(meet Frankenstein, meet The Invisible Man, meet Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde).

As all wise men and women and children know,
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein is one of the greatest motion pictures of all time.
Nothing else comes close.

I don't know if I can fully explain why, but I do have a slight preference for "A&C Meet the Mummy" over "Jekyll and Hyde.". Even though it's so late-in-the-game, "Mummy" evokes a sort of Saturday Matinee-ish vibe that sublimely pleases me, despite it's fairly obvious weaknesses. And, "Jekyll" just never quite cut it for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I also ordered the movie cash and got the one without it. Returned and replaced with same results. Called Amazon and got an $8 credit as I remember that's what the value of the cash was. Hope I was right.
I saw your earlier comment about that. Amazon told me to "contact the manufacturer" when I sent a email about mine being missing. I've contacted Universal so we'll see...

In the mean-time - my Dracula set (also the Fandango Movie Cash version) arrived yesterday sans movie cash. My "Mummy Ultimate Collection" with movie cash should be at the house when I get home. I doubt it'll have it either. I'm thinking a huge, single, communication with "come up with the movie cash or I'm returning these for exchange as being defective based on the description" will get some action from Amazon without them passing if off to Universal.

While I really don't care about the movie cash it's now the principle of the thing... it was supposed to be there, is on the description, and they're pretty much trying to ignore the issue. I watched a preview of the new Mummy movie and wasn't that impressed...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw your earlier comment about that. Amazon told me to "contact the manufacturer" when I sent a email about mine being missing. I've contacted Universal so we'll see...

In the mean-time - my Dracula set (also the Fandango Movie Cash version) arrived yesterday sans movie cash. My "Mummy Ultimate Collection" with movie cash should be at the house when I get home. I doubt it'll have it either. I'm thinking a huge, single, communication with "come up with the movie cash or I'm returning these for exchange as being defective based on the description" will get some action from Amazon without them passing if off to Universal.

While I really don't care about the movie cash it's now the principle of the thing... it was supposed to be there, is on the description, and they're pretty much trying to ignore the issue. I watched a preview of the new Mummy movie and wasn't that impressed...
After the replacement didn't fix the problem, I called Amazon, suggested a credit instead of another replacement, and they offered a 20% credit which was less than the movie cash, which I told them. The CSR checked with his manager and I got the $8.

I do think if you had insisted on Amazon making it right, they would have. This does concern me since my experience I described was the worst one I've had with Amazon and you describe them passing the back. Their customer service has always been great, I hope it's not declining.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think a LOT about Amazon is declining...except their profits, of course. And I say this as a long time and current Amazon customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks