What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Matrix Resurrections (2021) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
New poster:

Matrix poster.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I still don't have a clue what is going on in this movie, but here's a new trailer:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still think it was a mistake not to change Reeves' appearance from his John Wick look. We saw a trailer for this during Thanksgiving football and my Mom said, "Hey, look, a new John Wick film is coming." I think she was disappointed when the Matrix title came up at the end, though I told her that another JW film is coming, too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
More with Reeves and Moss:

I don't know how the filming schedule worked out but I know that pre-Covid, for a very brief time, Matrix and John Wick were supposed to come out on the same day. Obviously, they aren't now, but if the filming of them was back-to-back, perhaps Reeves couldn't cut his hair for Neo. I agree it is weird seeing Neo with a different look than he had in the original, though.

I know that there are probably surprises in this movie, but I don't think the marketing has made clear what the idea of this movie is or what makes it not just another Matrix movie. The Spider-Man trailers have done a good job of showing us the basic premise of that movie (Tom Holland's Peter going up against multiverse villains) without tipping their hand as to how the movie goes. For this one, I really don't understand anything about what makes this one new or distinctive, and I think they are perhaps hiding a little too much. I'm not advocating for spoilers by any means, but thus far the marketing has not given me much of a reason to be excited about this because it just looks the same.

Last edited:

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I assume there will be an in-movie explanation for the "Mr. Anderson's" appearance change. Maybe it's meant to be a "show, not tell" shorthand for him feeling his life lacks meaning (because it's not the real world)?

No matter the reason (or lack thereof) I'm there on release day!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local theater just added showtimes for Resurrections beginning December 22, so it does not appear that there will be sneak previews on December 21. The Cinemark XD premium screen will still be occupied by Spider-Man, so Matrix will just be in a standard screen. Tickets aren't on sale yet (the trailer yesterday said that will happen on Monday) but you might be able to log in and see what showtimes are listed at your theater.

The running time is listed as 2 hours and 28 minutes, which makes this the longest Matrix film by ten minutes. The Matrix was 2:16, Reloaded was the previous longest 2:18 and Revolutions was 2:09.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I assume there will be an in-movie explanation for the "Mr. Anderson's" appearance change. Maybe it's meant to be a "show, not tell" shorthand for him feeling his life lacks meaning (because it's not the real world)?

No matter the reason (or lack thereof) I'm there on release day!
I am having enough trouble keeping it straight as to whether or not the filmmakers want us to remember him as someone who died or whether we are supposed to ignore the 2nd and 3rd movies.

My own theory for his appearance change is that he just felt like growing a beard. I doubt there's any symbolism to it.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I am having enough trouble keeping it straight as to whether or not the filmmakers want us to remember him as someone who died or whether we are supposed to ignore the 2nd and 3rd movies.
The latest trailer has voice snippets and visual snippets from 2+3.

So... I suspect that this is a continuation of the trilogy.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
So much for only in theatres. HBO Max on the 'ad free plan', whatever that is. Never noticed that tag before. Eyes must be getting old.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wasn't everything from Warners in theaters and HBO Max through this year?
Yes.

Some people got worked up because there was a clip making the rounds that said "Only in cinemas," but it was an international version of one of the ads. In markets where HBO Max does not exist, WB films are getting an exclusive theatrical window because there is no streaming service to prop up. Thus, the confusion.

In the United States, The Matrix Resurrections is the final theatrical/streaming hybrid release before Warner Bros. adopts a 45-day theatrical window in 2022.

HBO Max on the 'ad free plan', whatever that is. Never noticed that tag before.
Over the summer, HBO Max launched a lower tier which allows you to subscribe to the service for slightly less money if you will accept advertisements during programming. I think it is $10/month instead of $15/month, but I'm not positive,

The simultaneous theatrical releases are reserved for the higher-priced ad-free plan. So if you want to watch at home, you've got to pay $15.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Yeah I probably fell victim to that trailer that said theaters only, and didn't play close enough attention to the HBO thingy. I wonder if that means it will hit streaming here in Canada. That happened when HBO did the Snyder Cut of JL, it ended up on Crave at the same time. I really would like to see it in a theatre regardless, unless COVID has something to say.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if that means it will hit streaming here in Canada.
I read somewhere that Dune got a theatrical window in Canada fairly recently. So it would make sense for Matrix to follow the same pattern.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I read somewhere that Dune got a theatrical window in Canada fairly recently. So it would make sense for Matrix to follow the same pattern.

Not sure what you mean. Yes, Matrix will be in theatres here. Do you mean the theatrical window precludes simultaneous streaming?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks