What's new

The Marantz SR5200 Questions Please Help? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Marantz sr5200 great receiver. The manual absolutly sucks it doesn't explain anything. I have a couple of questions for people who have this receiver. Ok, First, How do I change my AB speaker function, their is no function on the receiver or remote on how to change this function?. Second, Thier is a red light on the receiver that looks like a picture of a speaker thats in red lighting how do you turn that off and what is the function for that symbol? again no montion in themanual what that function is. Also I can't get On Screen Display on my TV, What I do is connect a standard video cable from my Monitor video in, into the monitor video out on my receiver that should give me OSD but it doesn't. The only way I can get on screen display is if I take my S-Video cable thats connected from my DVD to the TV S-Video and Unhook the one end of the S-video from the DVD player into the S-video Monitor out thats how I get On screen Display but then I dont have Video to play my dvd player, do I have to get another svideo or what. this receiver is a great receiver though, its just that the manual sucks and the remote sucks even more. Please Help

Chris M

Second Unit
I just found out what the red speaker icon on the front of my receiver (SR5200) is. It's just to indicate that the receiver is using it's speakers. Ie. try plugging headphones into it and it'll go away.
As for a second set of speakers, I don't think it supports that, but I may be wrong.
AS for OSD, I have both an S-Video cable AND a composite video cable going from Monitor out on the receiver to the same input selection on the TV. (ie. both to input 1).
Try that and see if it works.
Thanks,
Chris.
[Edited last by Chris M on September 21, 2001 at 03:59 PM]

GregJ

Agent
Hello Scott,
I've had my SR5200 for a week now and it has been a trial & error learning process here to. Chris is right the red speaker light shows they are active, I guess if the volume is down. There is are no A-B speakers, only one set of speaker terminals on the receiver. As for the On Screen Display you can use either a standard RCA cable or a S-video cable (if your TV has a S-video input) from the monitor out (#7 on page 4). The trick to use the OSD is that you must push the AMP button on the remote followed by the MENU button, this is explained on page 10. My only issue so far is how much volume (how far the knob must be turned) must by used to get sound. I'm using 8 ohm JBL speakers and I'm wondering if there is a selector setting between 4 & 8 ohm speakers I can't find. Other than that it's a great receiver.
Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My only issue so far is how much volume (how far the knob must be turned) must by used to get sound.
Seems odd at first, but you will get used to it.
Have you set reference level with test tones and an SPL meter? Using the speaker level adjustment in the OSD, you have quite a bit of adjustment to tailor where your reference level is for a given volume.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

GregJ

Agent
Hi John,
The manuel does say that if you use S-video monitor out that the composite jack is disabled. The TV on the other hand may default to one or the other so it may need to be set ( I don't know which model TV is involved). No I haven't used a SPL meter yet, I have to use a friends. The volume issue is the same on the Onkyo and Harman receivers I'm just used to the Technics receiver I replaced, at half 50% it would blast you out of the room.
Greg

Chris M

Second Unit
I find that this receiver is a bit quiet myself, but the sound is phenomenal. It's weird, that at 0dB (reference) Movies are loud, but not TOO loud, and at it's highest level +15dB I can still listen to it, though very uncomfortably. I usually listen to movies at -10dB or so.
Is this pretty much the norm?
Thanks,
Chris.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, I tend to listen to movies right in the area of -10dB also.
I'd say the reason why one can turn this receiver all the way to +15dBb is that the power is so clean. No clipping or distortion all the way up. I'm very impressed. I only turned it to +15 once, with some vocals and I was amazed at how clear it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks