What's new

The Lord of the Rings Symphony to Play Chicago! (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Saw the afternoon performance in Atlanta last week, and it was amazing. Shore just gets into it hardcore, just jumping all over the place, throwing Chi around as I like to think. The 200 person choir was amazing, as was the orchestra. My only complaint about it all was that when they played "Foundations of Stone" they cut off the choir part and transitioned into the next section. That made me really mad as the choir part of Foundations is one of my faves. But Shore redeemed it by adding another part onto the Return of the King section. At the beginning of the last movement, he added "Fields of the Pellenor" which is my fav track from Return of the King. All was forgiven:)

Dont pass up seeing him. It is truly amazing. I have some pics from my show as well, can post if needed. I was fourth row in to the side.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if there are plans for a DVD release of one of these concerts, I'm probably not alone on this one :D

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

I got (for Friday, Oct. 8) main floor (Orchestra level), Row K, Seats 301 and 302. That's 4 rows back from Kim. (Seating chart: http://www.auditoriumtheatre.org/files/SEAT01B.pdf) We didn't want to be way way back, and the only balcony tickets were kind of off to the side.

Is it October yet?? Those of you who have seen this have gotten me psyched up with your reports. Thanks!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

Your thread and others that have reviewed previous concerts get me pumped as well Vickie!

Can't wait until this comes to Toronto!

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The Columbus concert review that I posted is over in Music. I mentioned the two or three tracks that are in the show but, for whatever reason, haven't been included in the program in any of the performances that I've been aware of.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Wow! It'll actually be in Ottawa on July 22nd and 23rd! That's just two hours away from Montreal by bus! And the bus stops just across the street from the NAC! Howard Shore (a former Canadian) will actually be in town for the event.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Wow! It'll actually be in Ottawa on July 22nd and 23rd! That's just two hours away from Montreal by bus! And the bus stops just across the street from the NAC! Howard Shore (a former Canadian) will actually be in town for the event.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Vickie,

I am envious that you didn't have to pay ticketmaster charges.

My husband and I are totally psyched.

See you there!

- kim

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Vickie,

I am envious that you didn't have to pay ticketmaster charges.

My husband and I are totally psyched.

See you there!

- kim

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
It's tonight! I've had these tickets so long that I forgot about them until this morning. Much better than remembering tomorrow.

- kim

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Heh, good thing you remembered, Kim. It's a great experience.

By the way, where's Vickie been? I haven't seen her on here in months.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I went to the Hartford show last month, I loved the first half (all FOTR). However, there were a couple of negatives:

Howard Shore bailed on us, he cancelled his appearance a couple of weeks before. Some other guy conducted.

I felt shortchanged by the second half, it had the sequels crammed into it the same time frame. I know some themes from FOTR are rehashed in the sequels, but should be enough new material to warrant a more even distribution.

The artwork featured none of the characters, except Gollum quite prominently, and perhaps the Witch King and Arwen.

Other than that, beautiful stuff :emoji_thumbsup:

--
H

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
I totally expected Vickie to update this thread before I got to it.

I've never met Vickie (or anyone else from HTF) but I will definitely look for her tonight.

I honestly thought the concert was next weekend. Whew.

- kim

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah now that you mention it Vickie hasn't posted in a couple of months. I hope nothing is wrong. Maybe they are busy traveling, new job, etc which sometimes happens.

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
"I saw Shore conduct this last Saturday night in Atlanta, and it was FANTASTIC!"

Howard Shore finally walked on the stage after the concert was over. Standing ovation. Highlight of the evening. Seriously.

"Do not pass this up if you are the least bit interested.. it was something truly special."

If Howard Shore is conducting, don't pass it up.

"But who the heck is the World Festival Orchestra - a pick-up group?????"

Yes. I'm convinced that it had to be. I almost felt as though I were attending a practice session two weeks before their first performance.

During intermission I turned to my husband and said that part of their practice should have included seeing the freaking movies at least one time. They played without heart They played without soul. Their playing was technically okay with a mechanical delivery. They were just playing the notes. And they made so many mistakes that _I_ noticed.

It was not all bad. Sometimes the music hit the right tone and it would make me smile and remember the movie.

"Our show lasted almost 2h30m including intermission..and we didn't want it to stop."

I wondered if I would go back in after the intermission. Then I remembered how much money I had spent on tickets. And my husband and I were meeting up with Vickie and Chris after the show.

- kim

P. S. Vickie has been busy but she's still seeing movies. She's almost convinced me to go see Sky Captain. She'll be back posting soon.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the report, Kim. Sorry to hear that it was disappointing, and that you didn't get to see Shore in action, as I did in Columbus, and others did elsewhere. Also good to hear that Vickie hasn't vanished! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks