The Lord of the Rings Symphony to Play Chicago!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Vickie_M, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Tickets on Sale Monday, June 14

CHICAGO, June 9 /PRNewswire/ -- On Friday, October 8 and Saturday, October 9 at the Auditorium Theatre (50 E. Congress Parkway), Chicagoans will take a musical journey to the realm of Middle Earth as more than 200 musicians and singers take the stage in a spectacular performance of Academy Award-winning composer Howard Shore's "The Lord of the Rings Symphony: A Symphony in Six Movements" featuring the World Festival Symphony Orchestra, an adult and children's choir, guest vocalist Sissel, and a special appearance by Shore.

The multimedia event features music from all three films in the motion picture trilogy "The Lord of the Rings." The presentation will also feature original concept and storyboard artwork from the films by artists Alan Lee and John Howe. Projected images will chronologically align with the music as the story of the hobbits' journey unfolds.

Both performances start at 8:00 p.m. Tickets, which range from $35.00 to $80.00, will be ON SALE MONDAY, JUNE 14, and may be purchased at the Auditorium Theatre box office, all Ticketmaster outlets, http://ticketmaster.com , or by calling (312) 902-1500.

"After sold out shows around the world from New Zealand to London, we are pleased to be able to present this extraordinary event," said Steve Traxler, Jam Theatricals president. "Whether you're a classical music fan or a fan of
    the movies, the spectacle of the event will be enjoyed by everyone."

Howard Shore has composed the scores to more than 60 films and received the Oscar and Grammy Awards for Best Original Score for "The Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring." The soundtracks for "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" have sold over 3 million albums worldwide and both albums have remained on the Billboard Top 100 Soundtracks chart since their original release in 2001 and 2002 respectively.

"The Lord of the Rings Symphony: A Symphony in Six Movements" is presented by Jam Theatricals, a Chicago-based entertainment company that produces and presents national touring productions of Broadway shows in more than 30 cities. Jam has presented notable national touring productions including STOMP, Les Miserables, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Miss Saigon and Riverdance and has produced national tours for the stage, including Eric Idle Exploits Monty Python. For two consecutive years, Jam Theatricals has received a Tony Award nomination: Best Revival of a Play for 2003's Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune and Best Play for 2004's The Retreat from Moscow.
    ====================================

Whoooo! This will be a double-wonderful for me, because I've never been to the Auditorium Theatre, which is supposed to be amazing, and has a lot of history.

I refuse to pay Ticketbastard prices, so I'll be down at the Box Office come Monday morning.

I'm psyched!

2. ToddP

ToddP Stunt Coordinator

I so wish this would come to Washington to be played by the National Symphony Orchestra.

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Great news Vickie! I expect a comprehensive review. Those of us near Toronto have to wait till next year.

4. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Jam Theatricals has a presence in our community. Here's hoping they bring this in our neck of the woods. Enjoy.

~Edwin

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Heck, they are even coming to Hartford, CT.

Tkts have been on sale for a month now, for september... I have been procrastinating [​IMG]

--
    H

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

We're getting a simmilar show here in Philly. My wife got tickets for us, really great seats too. Just found out yesterday that Shore will not be conducting afterall, which is very very dissapointing. I'm sure we'll still have a good time though.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I meant to ask, never been in an actual formal concert hall, where are the best seats to look for?

--
    H

8. Alvin.G.

Alvin.G. Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I was just talking with my girlfriend about how great it would be to go to a concert like this. Can't wait! I'll be in line at the Auditorium to get these tickets.

acg

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The concert is coming to Houston as well. Unfortunately Shore won't be conducting down here. [​IMG]

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

[​IMG]

What are the top 3 spots? BTW this is Hartford, not Chicago :b

--
    H

11. Darren_Reed

Darren_Reed Extra

I saw Shore conduct this last Saturday night in Atlanta, and it was FANTASTIC! Do not pass this up if you are the least bit interested.. it was something truly special. Alan Lee happened to be there as well and was brought out during the standing ovations at the end. Shore seemed to really enjoy this, as he was beaming thru so much of it, and is incredibly animated while conducting.

As for where to sit.. I was in 5th row, dead center, and the sound was perfect and beautiful. We couldn't see the musicians behind the string section, but sound-wise it could not have been better. The performance gets SO intense sometimes, with the huge (way over 100) chorus going full-tilt! Major goosebumps all thru the show.. and Sissel does a GREAT job with Gollum's Song and Into The West..her voice is liquid gold.

Our show lasted almost 2h30m including intermission..and we didn't want it to stop.

12. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I have tickets to go next Friday at the Sydney Opera House, got some pretty good seats as well.

13. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman Second Unit

Brent Bridgeman
    I was at the Atlanta show on Saturday night, and I agree that it was FANTASTIC! My wife and I sat in row N in the orchestra section on the floor and it sounded perfect. Also, at least in Atlanta, I wouldn't have sat too close because the screens showing the artwork were hanging from the ceiling, on on either side of the front of the stage. You could get a giant crick in the neck if you sit too close. Plus, it's recommended not to sit too close at a symphony anyway due to the acoustics and the orchestra filling the entire stage, etc (I think if you sit too close, you have a chance of one instrument possibly overpowering another?). Usually, if you buy the most expensive tickets, you won't be disappointed because those are usually the best listening areas. My wife and I sat front row one year for one of Robert Shaw's Christmas concerts, and the sound wasn't as good as farther back on the floor, or in the dress circle balcony (although it was cool to get directed closely by the late great choral director Robert Shaw during the audience sing-alongs). We sat in the dress circle for Mahler's 9th Symphony, and the sound was excellent (similar to sitting about 14 rows back on the floor like we did with LOTR).

And you DO want to see the artwork, because it is also pretty spectacular.

One very cool thing for me was that I got to meet Alan Lee and have him sign my LOTR Symphony poster. I saw him when I first arrived, just walking by himself in the hallway, and I did a double-take, but couldn't place where I knew him from. Then, we found our seats and I decided to go to the giftshop to buy the aforementioned poster, and as I was exiting the main hall, he was just outside the doors signing another poster and I then put 2 and 2 together and ran to buy my poster before he scooted off. He was very polite and rather softspoken, and personalized each autograph. Only later did I think that I should have asked him to him draw a little Smeagol or something. I saw him again at intermission on my way to the restroom, and I tried to find him afterwards to strike up a little conversation, but he was nowhere to be found.

I found it pretty amusing watching Howard Shore conduct. He almost danced along with his music, much more so than any other conductor I've seen. He seemed very appreciative of the audience reaction too, which consisted of many very long standing ovations, even more than is traditional at the symphony (i.e. soloists, choir, and the conductor at least twice). I bet it is really nice for him to play this music for a live audience and be able to receive the appreciation that he normally doesn't get doing movie soundtracks, except maybe at Oscar time.

And I also agree that Sissel sounded just wonderful. It may be heresy, but I think I prefer her singing "Into the West" more than Annie Lennox. She has a haunting, ethereal voice that is perfect for this material.

Needless to say, we both had a fantastic time.

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I was in the fifth row on the far left side, so yeah I had to look way up to see the drawings projected on the screen but it wasn't that bad. The drawings were nice but there weren't so many that they popped on the screen in rapid succession, so mostly I would just glance at it from time to time. I mostly watched the orchestra, the chorus, and Shore's animated conducting, and whenever Sissel sang, I watched her (she's real easy on the eyes). There were also some moments where I just closed my eyes and listened to the music.

As you can imagine I had a really good view of First Violin, the left section of strings, and not much of anything else except for the chorus on risers in the back and of course Shore and Sissel who were front and center.

But I don't believe the strings were overpowering. I could hear the brass and winds just fine. I didn't hear anything wrong with the balance. It's possible that if I sat elsewhere it would have sounded even better, but where I sat, it sounded great to me.

15. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman
    Wayne, I didn't mean to imply that your experience was any less fantastic than my own, and if I did, I apologize. I certainly wasn't trying to minimize your enjoyment, just trying to answer Holadem's question with my own experiences. It could very well be that the first couple of rows might be the worst spots, since if I remember correctly, when sitting, my head was just barely above the stage level. Plus, like you said, you were a lot closer to Sissel, and that can only be a good thing! I was surprised by the placement of the screens, knowing that people in the center in the first couple of rows probably couldn't see the artwork at all.

Speaking of Sissel, did you get a chance to stop by the table they had set up at the gift shop where she was signing CD's after the show? My wife and I were just too tired after a long day of successfully hunting for the Boar's Nest (see my post in the "Dukes of Hazzard" thread in the TV Show Software section), attending the Braves game (another loss), and then going to the concert. Hey, I bet I'm the only person in existence who went to the Boar's Nest (now a church) and the symphony in the same day![​IMG]

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Well, I have tickets to the very first row, center isle (a gift actually, long story...). I am having a sneaking suspicion that it may not be the ideal spot, it may be too close. So I plan on doing a recon of the room well in advance (the show is in september anyway) just to make sure and exchange tickets if need be. I suspect a couple of rows further back might just be better.

--
    H

17. Brent Bridgeman

Brent Bridgeman
    Holadem, every hall is different, and depending upon the height of the stage with relation to the seats and many other factors, you may have a great seat right there in the front row. If you're able to see the hall, make sure to try to visualize where they will put the two screens. In Atlanta, they had to put them right at the front of the stage, one right and one left, and very high up. I imagine they are limited so that they don't interfere with the acoustics.

However, one way or another, you are in for a great show. And make sure to look for Alan Lee before the show, he'll probably be out and about, but not advertising it.

18. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought my tickets. Orchestra section. Row G.

- kim

19. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

Vicki, you're in for a treat! I can't believe you've never been there. The Auditorium Theater is one of the great theaters in the world - beautiful, outstanding sonics brilliant Sullivan architecture. I LOVE this place. It is magical to me.

I've heard scores of concerts there - pop, classical, rock - and I've seen many shows there including Broadway musicals as well as both the NYC Ballet and Joffrey. (I went to the Art Institute and lived in Chicago for 6 years, still try to get back a few times a year.)

For the best sound, I'd want to be about mid-hall on the main level or the first few rows of the balcony would be best. Personally, I wouldn't want to be in the first 6-8 rows of the main floor for a large orchestral concert. But in this theater, anything that's not super close on the main floor or buried under the balcony should be fine. The Auditorium also has some of the best sight-lines of any theter in the world. There are few bad seats there.

It's really the perfect spot for this concert.

But who the heck is the World Festival Orchestra - a pick-up group?????

20. Kim D

Kim D Stunt Coordinator

I have only been to the Auditorium Theatre once. I saw Miss Saigon in the nosebleed seats. I could make out the shape of faces but no detail. The sound was good but not great. I decided not to go again until I could afford better seats.

So now I can afford better seats. From what Clare writes it looks as though this time I bought seats that are too close.

Bummer. Next time I'll know better.

Although I cannot imagine how I could possibly not have a fabulous time. Soon I'll start counting down the days. Something to tide me over until the EE comes out in December.

- kim