What's new

The Lion King (2019) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It looks like they turned it into a True-Life Adventure with songs. Favreau's idea of realism is basically literalism. Roger Allers' and Rob Minkoff's idea of realism was detailed and elaborate yet still stylized and cartoony at the same time.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If the target under 10s could review the movie, I am sure the tone of this thread would be far different. For many, this will be THEIR version of the movie, and they will not find the original better, but probably more primitive and crude.

Every time I hear a remake of a song or movie, I feel like the first version I saw or heard was better.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If the target under 10s could review the movie, I am sure the tone of this thread would be far different. For many, this will be THEIR version of the movie, and they will not find the original better, but probably more primitive and crude.

Every time I hear a remake of a song or movie, I feel like the first version I saw or heard was better.

Every time? You've never liked the "2nd one" better???

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Colin, I guess you’ve never seen TJPC post before.
This is not an Unusual comment and he probably means it in a true literal sense.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I do! This has always been the case with me. It’s not the earliest version made, but the first version I have experienced. Now I’m sure if I first heard Beethoven’s 9th symphony on a kazoo and then heard the symphonic version, I would prefer the second, but I am talking about equally competent versions.

When I was in University, I had a huge collection of classical 78s bought for next to nothing at thrift shops. This was the first time I heard many of these pieces. These performances are still the “true” ones to me, even though I have the latest and greatest on CD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, I went to a morning showing to find out for myself and I don't agree with the level of criticism this film has received here. It's longer than I want it to be, but other than that, I thought the film was fine. I watched it in a Dolby Atmos theater so I enjoyed the music and soundtrack quite a bit.

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
I planned to see Lion King this weekend, but ended up spending time with family instead as my mother-in-law unexpectedly passed away. As such, I really don't have an opinion on the film yet. It is making quite a bit of money though, so I'm sure Disney is pleased with their investment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I planned to see Lion King this weekend, but ended up spending time with family instead as my mother-in-law unexpectedly passed away. As such, I really don't have an opinion on the film yet. It is making quite a bit of money though, so I'm sure Disney is pleased with their investment.
It's going to be over a billion dollar box office world-wide.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Sincere condolences.

Hang in there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My condolences to you and your family.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I do! This has always been the case with me. It’s not the earliest version made, but the first version I have experienced. Now I’m sure if I first heard Beethoven’s 9th symphony on a kazoo and then heard the symphonic version, I would prefer the second, but I am talking about equally competent versions.

When I was in University, I had a huge collection of classical 78s bought for next to nothing at thrift shops. This was the first time I heard many of these pieces. These performances are still the “true” ones to me, even though I have the latest and greatest on CD.

So if you'd heard Britney Spears' "Satisfaction" before you heard the Stones', you'd like it better? :blink:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If I had heard her version over and over and grew up with it probably. Actually, to take a better example for me (“Stones” were never a favourite).

I have always been a fan of Barbra Streisand. On her album — I think “What about Today”, she sings John Lennon’s “Primal Scream”. I remember her version being basically greeted with derision. I had only heard hers at the time and still prefer it.

This is not to say all versions of things I see later are crap, but the only “right” version is the first.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If I had heard her version over and over and grew up with it probably. Actually, to take a better example for me (“Stones” were never a favourite).

I have always been a fan of Barbra Streisand. On her album — I think “What about Today”, she sings John Lennon’s “Primal Scream”. I remember her version being basically greeted with derision. I had only heard hers at the time and still prefer it.

This is not to say all versions of things I see later are crap, but the only “right” version is the first.

Hey, ya like what ya like, but still... :huh::huh::huh:

I heard the "Sgt. Pepper's" movie soundtrack before I heard most of the Beatles' originals - I'd have to be more mentally ill than I already am to prefer the 70s versions! :lol:

BTW, I poked around to see what song you meant, as Lennon has no song called "Primal Scream".

You meant "Mother", which Babs did on "Barbra Joan Streisand", along with the more Babs-sensible "Love" from the same Lennon album.

Just played Streisand's version. It completely loses the emotion of Lennon's original. The song's all about internalized pain, and Babs can't pull that off to save her life. Her attempts to emulate John's wails at the end of the song are comical!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

You actually think the target audience for this film was 5-10 year olds? Seriously? The original film wasn't made primarily for single digit age children so I highly doubt that Favreau was making a film with photo-realistic lions for six year olds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks