Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

The Lion King (2019) UHD Review
LionKing-feat-1024x576.jpeg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for your review, Todd. I don't need this version as I would never choose to re-watch it over the original. I agree it will likely be nominated for Visual Effects, but Favreau's team just won that a few years ago for using essentially the same tech on The Jungle Book. So it's possible that Academy voters might think they don't need another one. We'll see.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Fair review. It's a technological marvel but has NONE of the humanity and warmth of the original. I do differ on acting of the vocal talent. I found them to be lacking quite a bit. Even James Earl Jones comes off as flat. There is a heightened (or "animated') level of performing one has to do for cartoons, etc.., and none of that was done here. And not casting Jeremy Irons--who was so brilliant in the original--was a huge mistake.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
It reminded me of Gus Van Sant’s shot-for-shot remake of Psycho which didn’t capture the magic of Hitchcock’s original. This one works better but the entire time I kept asking myself why they felt the need to do it (aside from the cash )

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
No genitalia? So much for realism.
Also Elton John has expressed extreme disappointment in the soundtrack and said the animated drawn version soundtrack is far superior.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Also Elton John has expressed extreme disappointment in the soundtrack and said the animated drawn version soundtrack is far superior.
But as Matthew noted, I'm sure he's just fine cashing the checks he'll receive for the new film. Haven't heard him offering up that windfall to charity or anything like that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I am a fan of both versions, but I do like the animated better. But they're both 100% valid interpretations of the story and the dissing of the new (or the old, depending on who is talking) is silly as heck. Just because I like my homemade garlic bread better than my mother's doesn't mean hers is terrible, horrible or invalid. It's the same basic dish made two different ways. Same here and that will ALWAYS be the line I draw with different interpretations of the same story.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
But as Matthew noted, I'm sure he's just fine cashing the checks he'll receive for the new film. Haven't heard him offering up that windfall to charity or anything like that.

To be fair, Elton's done way more for charity than probably 99% of rock stars.

Yes, he's insanely wealthy, but I don't think it's fair to criticize him in this realm, as he's backed charities in a strong way...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Agree with the review that the 4K visuals are spectacular. The BD looks great, too, but the 4K is a clear upgrade.

There's a shot of Simba and Nala at a long distance toward the end of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight". On the BD, they're a little blurry, but on the 4K, they're tight as a drum!

Didn't experience the same disappointment with the Atmos audio. The 7.1 mix on the BD was anemic and needed a good volume boost but the Atmos seemed fine on its own.

Take that with salt if you want, as I've never been as down on Disney for their soundtracks as others. Some have seemed flawed but most have sounded good on my system!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I am a fan of both versions, but I do like the animated better. But they're both 100% valid interpretations of the story and the dissing of the new (or the old, depending on who is talking) is silly as heck. Just because I like my homemade garlic bread better than my mother's doesn't mean hers is terrible, horrible or invalid. It's the same basic dish made two different ways. Same here and that will ALWAYS be the line I draw with different interpretations of the same story.

Except this is the artist who actually wrote the score. But if you like it then good for you

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

it’s not about the money it’s about the lame interpretation felt by the artist who wrote it. And he loves the broadway show. And you may not have heard but Elton has an AIDS Foundation so he’s giving plenty of money and time to charity

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Except this is the artist who actually wrote the score. But if you like it than good for you

And the point is what, exactly? "All" he did was write the music. Elton John has a right to like or not like it. I never said he didn't. But just because he's not fond of it doesn't mean this version is any less valid than the Broadway show, the version that plays at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the original animated film.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
And the point is what, exactly? "All" he did was write the music. Elton John has a right to like or not like it. I never said he didn't. But just because he's not fond of it doesn't mean this version is any less valid than the Broadway show, the version that plays at Disney's Animal Kingdom or the original animated film.
I’m glad you like it but it’s been universally reviewed as mediocre. Sorry but it’s not a classic like either the original or the broadway show is. It’s just not.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I’m glad you like it but it’s been universally reviewed as mediocre. Sorry but it’s not a classic like either the original or the broadway show is. It’s just not.

By who? Audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 88%. 7.0 out of 10 from users on IMDb. $1.6 billion worldwide gross.

But then again, you're moving the goalposts. The original conversation was if Elton John could criticize the music. Now it's moved into "is this a classic" conversation. I never said it was classic. I said it was as valid as any other version. Big difference.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
By who? Audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 88%. 7.0 out of 10 from users on IMDb. $1.6 billion worldwide gross.

But then again, you're moving the goalposts. The original conversation was if Elton John could criticize the music. Now it's moved into "is this a classic" conversation. I never said it was classic. I said it was as valid as any other version. Big difference.

Rotten tomatoes scores, box office $$s- yet I’ve moved the goal posts? Also since when has either of those factors decided if something is quality or not? If EJ can’t criticize the music than who can. And if you’re talking $$- how many copies did that soundtrack sell compared to the original? Look that one up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I never said Elton couldn't criticize the music. Not once.

What I have said is his criticism doesn't make this movie any less valid.

I'm done.

drdave319

Agent
Real Name
David E. Gillespie II
I didn't get to see this in the theater as I had wanted so it was a no-brainer to pickup on Day One. I agree that visually it was amazing! The colors were vibrant, the contrast was on point, and everything just felt "right". The volume was noticeably lower and so I needed to turn it up a bit more than my other movies. The LFE wasn't used as much as I'd like nor were the surrounds or even the high (Atmos) speakers.
I was able to "deal" with that but the one thing that drove me nuts the whole movie was the actor who portrayed Timon (Billy Eichner). He was terrible! Wish they would have gotten someone with a more enjoyable and fitting voice for Timon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks