1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I own a lot of films that I've intended to watch but just didn't get around to yet. (I also watch a lot of TV, so it's hard enough keeping up with that.) I haven't "avoided" it intentionally. I also have a ton of books in my "to read" pile.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Gee, I thought he made his point. What makes him a yahoo?

Nick*Z, MatthewA and MartinP. like this.
  3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Take away the admittedly impressive visual effects and you are left with a soulless movie with a voice cast that tries hard but can't hope to match the original. Even James Earl Jones gives worse line readings than he did in the original. Ok, I regard the original as a stone-cold classic and it is in my Top 20 Favourite films so perhaps I was predisposed to not like this, but I don't think I was prepared for that fact that this was virtually a shot for shot remake with perfunctory additional moments to length it slightly (and affect the pacing too).

The lack of emotional reaction from the characters was my biggest problem with the film and I noticed it from the start but the key moment that made my switch off was the stampede sequence. Remember the look of terror on Simba's face as the camera zoomed in on his reaction, the fear as he cowered whilst waiting for his father to save him, his eyes scanning the stampede rapidly searching for his father and his reaction to finding him at the end ? That is what made that scene so good in the original, not just the technical marvel of wildebeests stampeding and that is what is lost in this one.

Im sure perhaps if you have no particular love of the original perhaps it will connect with some and Im certain children will like the cute animals and perhaps connect with them on that level, but I cannot comprehend Favreau's decision to focus on photo realism at the expense of character. He does realise he is making a film with a story, not a documentary ?

MatthewA and benbess like this.
  4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

It would've been interesting to attempt an essentially silent version of "Lion King", one that tries to act out the story in a more realistic way.

Not one that adheres entirely to how animals really behave, but one without songs or dialogue and one that tries to tell the tale in a manner that better fits the photoreal creatures...

Josh Steinberg and MartinP. like this.
  5. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    OK, so he's a correct irrelevant Youtube yahoo ;)

(that is actually a far-fetched Titanic reference, Bodine ...)

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Despite the criticism, the movie is making big-time bucks at the box office.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The fan base for the original is so huge that even if every single person who loves it went to see the remake one time and decided that they hated it, it would probably still make money. I don't think the reaction to it has been quite that negative; I'm just using an extreme hypothetical. However, I haven't yet talked to anybody who absolutely loves the new one either,. I'll be very curious to see what the hold is this weekend

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I don't know I think the tenor of this thread has been pretty negative.

holtge and Jake Lipson like this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Oh, I agree. I just meant that my hypothetical of everyone who sees it once because they like the original hating it is probably extreme. But it would make money even if that were the case. I went because I felt obligated to see what they did to one of my favorite movies, and I didn't like it much, but I still paid into the gross to find that out.

If the general public reaction is like this thread, the drop might be larger this weekend. But the only other family movies out right now are also Disney (Toy Story 4 and Aladdin) and they're both older, so Lion King will still be the default choice for many families this weekend. It's not like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is going for that demo.

10. Message #230 of 288 Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Children are going to drive this box office, not some adults that want to see how this remake of their favorite childhood film got screwed up. I think kids will have more forgiving approach to it without the emotional attachment some adults will have with the original.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t think the majority of the film’s ticket buyers are approaching it this way. I believe that the great majority of those attending were doing so because they believed they would enjoy it. And given that the film has earned an “A” from CinemaScore, I believe that that audience did enjoy it.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  12. Colin Jacobson

I dunno. Seems like hardly anybody genuinely hates the remake - or even strongly dislikes it.

Feels like the impressions have been more "watchable but pointless"...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think you guys are missing my point.

Even in the case of this wextreme hypothetical -- everyone who loves the original goes once and hates the remake -- there are enough people in the world who love the original to make the film instantly profitable just based on people finding out that they don't like it.

I wasn't saying I believe that hypothetical to be true, I was just using it to make a point. The Cinemascore would not be an A if people didn't like it, so obviously it's working for some people -- at least the ones that Cinemascore polled.

However, as noted, the reaction here seems to be generally "meh." We'll see if that has any impact on how it holds. I saw the Beauty and the Beast remake twice theatrically. I'm done on this one. But,, of course, it's the summer and it will easily appeal to kids, and there's nothing else new for kids until Dora. It's very well positioned to keep playing throughout the rest of the summer.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Your point can be said about any remake of a film that was beloved by the masses.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson

I love Jon Favreau -- I'm a big fan of Iron Man, and Chef, and The Jungle Book -- but this is a terrible way to approach a remake. "The trick is to make people feel like they saw the old movie?" Really?

We can all watch the old movie at home without having to pay for it again.

MatthewA and Mikael Soderholm like this.
  16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    From Deadline today:

Of course, the Friday number last weekend had $23 million of Thursday night previews rolled into it. But this still might be a higher weekend drop than Disney would have expected. Perhaps this indicates word-of-mouth might be a little more mixed than the A Cinemascore would indicate.

And yet...$353 million in ten days is still a huge result.

17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Jon Favreau said at the premiere that he slipped one single live-action shot filmed in Africa into the movie to see if anyone would notice it among the CGI shots.

He just posted to Instagram what shot it is.

https://www.slashfilm.com/live-action-lion-king-shot/

18. Colin Jacobson

Shoulda been a shot mid-film, not as the very first image.

Woulda been more of a test if audiences saw a difference after they got used to "Digital Africa" vs. before they'd settled into the movie's visuals...

Jake Lipson likes this.
  19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I kind of agree, but I also have to admit that I didn't peg that as a live-action shot, so he still tricked me.

20. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Sounds like this film was terrible. I'm not surprised.

MatthewA likes this.