What's new

The LFE pad? (1 Viewer)

Sebastian

Second Unit
When using VE to calibrate your sub what should this be set at? I have searched for a few post and seems like it is supposed to be in the max position. Which I believe on my rec (onkyo) it is 0 for DD and +10 for DTS.
Up until I calibrated it was 18dB hot. Keep in mind I never listen at reference level.
Well anyway, I adjusted it to 85 dB (10 dB hot) and I feel if I adjust it any lower to 75Db to match the other channels, I would not even hear the LFE!
I have yet to do so because of time constraints.
So this might be a premature post but suffice to say I think I will be lucky to hear the sub adjusted correctly.
Any advice? the meter is set up correctly and has been moved around just as VE advises.

Yes, the speakers are set to small and subwoofer to yes.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You got it! Set the LFE pad to max and lower your sub output level to less than half (1/4 if you listen at reference levels), then bring up your amp gain/level control to achieve propper reference.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sebastian,

We need to first be clear that there are two controls on your receiver which can effect bass level. There is LFE pad setting, which only has an effect over bass material contained on the dedicated LFE track of 5.1 soundtracks. There is a second overall subwoofer level control which controls the entire output level to the sub, including both the LFE signal and the rerouted bass from the main speakers (if you set your speakers to small).

Your LFE pad position should be in the highest position possible. This will make it so the LFE level is boosted appropriately and will match in level to the rerouted bass from other channels. You will then use the sub output control to adjust the overall sub level while monitoring the meter. If you match this sub tone at 75db with the other speakers- you will have calibrated level.

I'm not sure about your opinion that you will unable to hear the bass effects. I might offer that if this is true, you have been listening to your system with far excessive bass for a bit too long and have grown accustomed to a way out of wack setting (this actually is pretty common).

However, even if this is the case- I'm not sure how the correct/incorrect position of the LFE pad would have any effect. Regardless of your percesption of overall bass levels- the maximum position on the LFE pad will make it so that the rerouted bass and the LFE bass are at the same output level and at which point if you choose to boost both over and above ref level (using the subwoofer output control)- this would be your option.

-V

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Well anyway, I adjusted it to 85 dB (10 dB hot) and I feel if I adjust it any lower to 75Db to match the other channels, I would not even hear the LFE!
That is the point. You calibrate all the speakers to the same level so they blend in. You do not want to hear any one speaker over the other, including the sub. Properly calibrated, you are not hearing the sub, but the low frequencies in the material.
I agree with Vince that most people have way too much bass. The sub is there to produce the low frequencies that the main speakers can not, not to add bass.

Sebastian

Second Unit
I understand where you guys are coming from and come to think of it, I remember reading an article on how a HT should sound. They mentioned that no channel should stand out and the only way that someone should tell that you have a sub is when you disconnected it and “something” would be missing from the material. I heard my buddies SVS that is calibrated 5 dB above ref and his bass is waaaay over powering and waaay loud.
I know it’s not fair to compare my 10” sub to his but I feel if both subs are calibrated the same, they should have the same loudness when watching DVD’s. A 115 dB peak should sound just as loud between the two subs, right? Now what the bass actually sounds (deep/better) like and the oomph is a different story.
I felt like his SVS was calibrated 20 dB high or something but he said it is only 5 dB high
Now when you buy a sub like an SVS aren’t you paying for a lower freq response and more head room, the capability to go 20 dB louder and not have any clipping or distortion?
Am I correct here?

Vince, I have two sub adjustments, one for the LFE and one adjustment to level the sub to the rest of speakers. The LFE adjustment (attenuation) can only be adjusted when I am watching a DD or DTS source. The other adjustment, the subwoofer adjustment can be adjusted listening to any material from -12dB to +12dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks