What's new

Blu-ray Review Lethal Weapon Collection Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Buddy cops Murtaugh and Riggs charge onto Blu-ray in Warner Home Video’s collection of the decade-spanning “Lethal Weapon” franchise. The technical presentation is solid across the board, though a mildly disappointing set of extras makes for a less than exhaustive release.

Lethal Weapon Collection

Release Date: May 22, 2012

Studio: Warner Home Video   

Packaging/Materials: Five-disc Blu-ray case with slipcover

MSRP: $79.98

The Films

In the decade-plus spanning the four “Lethal Weapon” movies, quintessential buddy cops Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) and Martin Riggs (Mel Gibson) have come up against some equally quintessential bad guys, villains who have represented the crime trend du jour, depending on the movie’s year of release.

In “Lethal Weapon” (1987) it was the war on drugs and paramilitary heroin dealers. In its sequel (1989), Apartheid-loving, South African money launderers. In the third (1992), the illegal gun trade and armor piercing ammunition that shared a name with rapper Ice-T’s controversial “Cop Killer” track. And finally, in the fourth movie (1998), illegal immigration and human trafficking.

The “ripped from the headlines” approach inevitably dates the films (as does the excessive amounts of jazz saxophone riffs in the soundtrack), but it’s not necessarily the plots and the aesthetics that make the movies feel a bit dusty.

In the 25 years since the first “Lethal Weapon” movie, our expectations around action and action heroes have changed, if not become more sophisticated.

In the mid-80s it was enough for Riggs to know how to do a roundhouse kick and make some oblique reference to being a Vietnam vet to be considered a credible badass (the “lethal weapon” of the title). Likewise, a helicopter could just appear out of nowhere, with no one having heard it coming, and vehicles could burst into flames after just a simple collision.

That’s not to say there aren’t “movie myths” that abound in today’s action films, but what’s considered believable has certainly changed in 25 years. In fact, in “Lethal Weapon IV” we begin to see the shift with the casting of Jet Li, a true martial arts master, as probably the series’ most convincing villain. The movie also includes some of the best action sequences of the franchise, though the scene involving an overturned coffee table on an L.A. freeway harkens back to the credibility-stretching qualities of the earlier films.

Still, realistic or not, the movies make for a fun ride if not taken too seriously, the chemistry between Gibson and Glover providing the bulk of the entertainment. The two are at their best in the first two movies, and though still game in the third, an aimless script struggling to bring things to a close makes it the worst of the four. The final film, coming six years later, redeems things nicely, giving the characters a proper sendoff without explicitly saying goodbye. That’s a subtlety the third film often lacked, and a quality that proves decidedly refreshing in a series that usually relished in going over the top.

Lethal Weapon: 4/5

Lethal Weapon II: 4/5

Lethal Weapon III: 3/5

Lethal Weapon IV: 4/5

Note: Director’s cuts of the first three films have been previously released to home video, but the  “Lethal Weapon Collection” Blu-ray includes only the theatrical versions of the films.

Disc One: Lethal Weapon

Year: 1987

Rating: R

Running Time: 1:43:37

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

VC-1: 1080p high definition 1.85:1

Standard and high definition

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French 5.1, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Castellano 1.0, Spanish 5.1, Portuguese 1.0, Czech 1.0, Polish 5.1, Russian 5.1, Thai 5.1

Variable

Subtitles

English SDH, French, German SDH, Italian SDH, Castellano, Dutch, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Kazakh, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Thai, Turkish

Variable

Video Quality: 4/5

The 1080p, VC-1-encoded transfer is framed at 1.85:1 and features strong blacks and solid contrast, and a pleasing level of textural detail in hair, skin and fabrics. Color shows decent depth and saturation, though subsequent films show a noticeable improvement in this area due to higher production values and budgets. The image does have moments of softness, likely from minor focusing errors, and there are some fluttering patterns in large background areas, but such distractions are relatively infrequent over the course of the film. The transfer also is devoid of digital processing artifacts from sharpening or noise reduction measures, issues which reportedly plagued the previous Blu-ray release from 2006.

Audio Quality: 4/5

Dialogue in the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is consistently crisp and clear. Environmental and directional surround effects are nicely balanced along with the film score, though cues for the recurring saxophone riff can seem a bit too high, depending on your tolerance for that kind of thing. LFE is essentially non-existent, becoming obvious in the film’s action sequences, but the track exhibits decent depth and fullness throughout.

Special Features: 3/5

Commentary with Director Richard Donner: From a sampling, Donner’s track seems to have a fair number of gaps, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing if the content is interesting. Unfortunately, what I heard of it doesn’t seem to meet that requirement.  

Additional Footage (29:44, HD): Includes fifteen scenes not used in the theatrical cut.

Music Video: ‘Lethal Weapon’ by Honeymoon Suite (3:22, SD)

Theatrical Trailer (1:27, SD)

Disc Two: Lethal Weapon II

Year: 1989

Running Time: 1:54:27

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

VC-1: 1080p high definition 2.40:1

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French 5.1, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Castellano 5.1, Spanish 2.0, Portuguese 1.0, Czech 2.0, Polish 5.1, Russian 5.1, Thai 5.1

Variable

Subtitles

English SDH, French, German SDH, Italian SDH, Castellano, Dutch, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Kazakh, Czech, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Thai, Turkish

Variable

Video Quality: 4.5/5

The sequel, framed at 2.40:1 and presented in 1080p with the VC-1 codec, shows a noticeable uptick in production values with slicker cinematography and what seems to be a finer grained film stock. The image continues to feature strong blacks and solid contrast, with textural details further benefiting from the finer grain pattern. Colors also seem more refined, with greater saturation and depth compared to the previous film. As with the first film, the transfer is devoid of digital processing artifacts from sharpening or noise reduction measures, again improving on the 2006 Blu-ray release by a considerable measure.

Audio Quality: 4/5

Dialogue in the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is consistently crisp and clear. Environmental and directional surround effects are nicely balanced along with the film score. LFE is more substantial in select action sequences this time around, though the track as a whole continues to exhibit decent depth and fullness.

Commentary with Director Richard Donner: The commentary for the second film plays out similarly to the first with noticeable gaps and limited contributions from the director.

Additional Footage (4:12, SD): Includes three scenes not used in the theatrical cut.

Stunts and Action (3:45, SD): Vintage featurette goes behind the scenes to show various car chase and action sequences.

Theatrical Trailer (1:28, SD)

Disc Three: Lethal Weapon III

Year: 1992

Running Time: 1:57:53

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French 5.1, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Castellano 5.1, Spanish 1.0, Portuguese 1.0, Czech 2.0, Polish 5.1, Russian 5.1, Thai 5.1

Variable

Subtitles

Variable

The 1080p, VC-1-encoded transfer features strong blacks and fine textural details, but contrast can look a little compressed at times, though instances are relatively infrequent. Colors continue to show impressive saturation and depth, and the transfer remains devoid of digital processing artifacts from sharpening or noise reduction measures.

Audio Quality: 4.5/5

Dialogue in the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is consistently crisp and clear. Environmental and directional surround effects are nicely balanced along with the film score. LFE makes a full blown appearance now, with the fiery explosion in the film’s opener and various car crashes and collisions throughout the film.

Commentary with Director Richard Donner: The commentary for the third film plays out similarly to the previous two, with noticeable gaps and limited contributions from the director.

Additional Footage (3:43, SD): Three scenes not used in the theatrical cut.

Music Video “It’s Probably Me” by Sting and Eric Clapton (5:00, SD)

Teaser Trailer (1:36, SD)

Theatrical Trailer (2:28, SD)

Disc Four: Lethal Weapon IV

Year: 1998

Running Time: 2:07:23

THE FEATURE

SPECIAL FEATURES

Video

Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio: English 5.1 / Dolby Digital: French 5.1, German 5.1, Italian 5.1, Castellano 5.1, Spanish 2.0, Portuguese 2.0, Czech 2.0, Polish 5.1, Russian 5.1, Thai 5.1

Variable

Subtitles

Variable

The 1080p, VC-1-encoded transfer features strong blacks, solid contrast, and fine textural details in hair, skin and fabric. Colors show excellent saturation and depth, and the transfer remains devoid of digital processing artifacts from sharpening or noise reduction measures. Being the most recent film, it also sports the best looking image.

Audio Quality: 4.5/5

Dialogue in the 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is consistently crisp and clear. Environmental and directional surround effects are nicely balanced along with the film score. LFE is the most substantial in the final film, even bordering on excessive at times, but ultimately fitting for the movie’s over-the-top aesthetics.

Commentary with Director Richard Donner, Producer J. Mills Goodloe, and Writer Geoff Johns: Bringing in some other voices, the commentary promises at least more material than what Donner can seem to provide on his own. Indeed, the track sounds like a marked improvement, making it the one to listen to if commentaries are your thing.

Theatrical Trailer (2:20, SD)

Pure Lethal! New Angles, New Scenes, and Explosive Outtakes (30:32, SD): Retrospective piece shot during production of the fourth film that features various deleted scenes and unused material from the previous three films.

Disc Five

Audio: Dolby Digital: English 2.0

Languages: English SDH, French, German SDH, Italian, Castellano, Dutch, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Polish, Russian, Thai

Special Features: 3.5/5

The contents of the fifth disc is essentially one feature-length retrospective documentary, split into four parts. Produced in 2010, the piece includes interviews with Donner, Gibson, and Glover, along with screenwriter Shane Black, producer Joel Silver, former Warner Brothers executive vice president Mark Canton, and actor/comedian Chris Rock, who had a role in the final film, and actor Rene Russo, who played Riggs' love interest. While there aren’t too many surprises to be found, it’s interesting to catch up with the directors, lead actors, and hear from members of the crew about their respective experiences.

Psycho Pension: The Genesis of Lethal Weapon (23:50, HD): Part one looks into what inspired Black to write the “Lethal Weapon” script, what made the story different than what was in theaters at the time, and how the director and lead actors got involved.

A Family Affair: Bringing Lethal Weapon to Life (29:33, HD): Part two takes a look at the major aspects of production – stunts, cinematography, and production design – with behind-the-scenes of a few key sequences.

Pulling the Trigger: Expanding the World of Lethal Weapon (29:46, HD): Part three looks at the franchise’s second and third films, their development and production.

Maximum Impact: The Legacy of Lethal Weapon (22:28, HD): Despite the title, part four really focuses on the final film’s action and stunt sequences, with only the last several minutes a reflection on the series’ legacy.

The Collection: 4/5

Warner Home Video delivers a strong multi-disc release that gathers the theatrical versions of the four “Lethal Weapon” films produced between 1987 and 1998.

Video quality is uniformly strong, with only minor issues cropping up in each transfer. Audio quality is likewise nicely rendered, with LFE increasing substantially from film to film.

Bonus material for each movie includes Richard Donner audio commentaries (most of which aren’t worth the time unfortunately), trailers, and some vintage material, though the highlight for longtime fans will likely be the 2010 retrospective documentary that reunites the lead actors with the director and includes some interesting reflections from other members of the production team.

Overall the “Lethal Weapon Collection” makes for a fine, though not exhaustive collection, as absent are the director’s cuts for the first three films, as well as any images of the franchise’s undoubtedly substantial domestic and international marketing campaigns. Though collectors interested in the films themselves should be pleased, anyone looking for something more significant in the extras might feel a twinge of disappointment.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow just saw this set at Frys over the weekend but passed on it because I thought it might just be a repackaging of the first two BDs which had a myriad of picture problems. Looks like this is going back onto the shopping list. Using the link to buy from Amazon...

John Stockton

Second Unit
Just a reminder to everyone that the theatrical versions released here, are the Director's preferred versions. The so called Director's cut that was released a few years back on DVD was not with Richard Donner's consent, and are pure marketing ploy.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lethal Weapon 4 was not a good film, i'll take the first two but by the fourth one the series had lost it's edge and was all too cosy.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FoxyMulder said:
Lethal Weapon 4 was not a good film, i'll take the first two but by the fourth one the series had lost it's edge and was all too cosy.
I know what you mean, it is a bit too cosy, but I still enjoy it. My favorite is two, I tend to look at one, & once I'm in the mood see the other three on subsequent evenings...& you have to admit, Jet Li is one hell of a bad boy!

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
FoxyMulder said:
There was a Lethal Weapon IV? :P
Glad to hear this is a new transfer; I never bought the first blu-ray because of the digital look of it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
While the latter films definitely have their problems, all I need to do is picture Riggs asking the Jumper in #1 "Do you really wanna jump? Do ya?" and it just puts a smile on my face and removes my hesitation at ordering this set. :D

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/321672/lethal-weapon-collection-blu-ray-review#post_3940336
I know what you mean, it is a bit too cosy, but I still enjoy it. My favorite is two, I tend to look at one, & once I'm in the mood see the other three on subsequent evenings...& you have to admit, Jet Li is one hell of a bad boy!

I like the opening moments of 4, those scenes still have an edge to them and then it just goes all cosy and just why do they need Joe Pesci again, he was funny in the second one but totally redundant for the fourth one, arguably redundant for the third one too. I like Jet Li for sure but Lethal Weapon 4 disappointed me upon first viewing almost as much as Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did. Maybe i can rewatch it and get something out of it now that the years have passed and perhaps my original feelings will have tempered slightly.

2 has some excellent action scenes, probably my favourite one as well but the original has a real bite to the characters, the sequel kept that but added better action scenes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
For myself, one of the biggest issues with the franchise as it continued was that characters kept being introduced and included in subsequent films which had the effect of reducing the focus on the main characters. What starts as a buddy / odd couple film becomes an (almost) ensemble piece by the time the fourth film rolls around. Also, the idea that Riggs and Murtaugh can best Jet Li is laughable and really takes me out of the fourth film.
Still, I enjoyed the series for the entertainment value it offers. In terms of favorites the order is identical to the series order with one being the best - for me.
- Walter.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel /t/321672/lethal-weapon-collection-blu-ray-review#post_3940397
For myself, one of the biggest issues with the franchise as it continued was that characters kept being introduced and included in subsequent films which had the effect of reducing the focus on the main characters. What starts as a buddy / odd couple film becomes an (almost) ensemble piece by the time the fourth film rolls around. Also, the idea that Riggs and Murtaugh can best Jet Li is laughable and really takes me out of the fourth film.
Still, I enjoyed the series for the entertainment value it offers. In terms of favorites the order is identical to the series order with one being the best - for me.
- Walter.

I agree, that's the cosy i was talking about, in the original two film's i think Riggs would have kicked Ku's ass, ( Jet Li's character ) now this is just me talking about the fictional movie characters and not about real life.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
FoxyMulder said:
I agree, that's the cosy i was talking about, in the original two film's i think Riggs would have kicked Ku's ass, ( Jet Li's character ) now this is just me talking about the fictional movie characters and not about real life.
Na, Riggs was never near good enough to take Ku. I like the way they did it in this film, in that it took two of them to take a wounded Ku (I think he was wounded, I haven't seen it for a while) & then they had to shoot him. My favorite baddie is in my favorite film (no.2), Joss Ackland with that great South African accent, & his cruel little mate is not very nice!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Billy Batson /t/321672/lethal-weapon-collection-blu-ray-review#post_3940429
Na, Riggs was never near good enough to take Ku. I like the way they did it in this film, in that it took two of them to take a wounded Ku (I think he was wounded, I haven't seen it for a while) & then they had to shoot him. My favorite baddie is in my favorite film (no.2), Joss Ackland with that great South African accent, & his cruel little mate is not very nice!

He wasn't good enough in 4 because they made him older and not as fast, but the Riggs from the first two films would have kicked his butt. ( or just shot him )

The good thing about 2 is the link with the first film as we find out that the bad guy in this film killed Rigg's wife, that's a shocker of a moment and adds much to the film

You know with Lethal Weapon 4 you have to ask why they haven't just retired already.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I preferred the first one. Riggs' story was raw and the relationship between the guys had a lot of great moments.
The second one was okay mostly for the Riggs/Murtaugh stuff and the Joe Pesci gags. It had fun moments but didn't have the freshness of the first one.
I have never really liked the third film. Too many complete cartoon bits, including the opening and closing gags. I saw it in the theater and was horribly disappointed.
I agree that the fourth one was both long in the tooth and way too top heavy with characters who didn't all need to be in the movie. The closing montage to "Why can't we be friends?" summed it all up for me.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Riggs in one or two might have taken Ku, but I was specifically addressing the fourth film. (I feel like I'm participating in one of those Enterprise vs. The Death Star debates that were popular on usenet. :) )
Josh Ackland was a great villain in the 2nd film and Roger's line at the end of the film is one of my favorite puns from the entire series. (I like a lot of the humor from the second film in terms of the dialog / puns.) Speaking of the second film, one of the other best things about that film is the music over the closing credits - Cheer Down by George Harrison & Jeff Lynne.
- Walter.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The best thing about Lethal Weapon 3 is the opening credits with Sting singing what i consider to be a great song, i saw it at the cinema on a nice big screen, great presentation and it looked superb, the problem with the latter two films is that Riggs is no longer a loose cannon, when he gets mad it's somewhat forced, in the first two you can believe it more.

I think the Enterprise would be no match for the Death Star, maybe for a Super Star Destroyer but not the Death Star.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I hope I don't have a "Beverly Hills Cop" experience with these. That series really took a tumble with the sequels. I don't even bother with the first film anymore.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The second one did have fun stuff in it, I agree. The cops betting on whether Murtaugh in a car or Riggs on foot will bag the suspect, and then the one cop trying to welch because he didn't know it was Riggs' wife's new car. Murtaugh at the South African Embassy. Murtaugh and Riggs and the latrine bomb. The cops busting the South African house and Riggs warning one of the thugs "Don't do that" when the guy's hand goes into his coat. Pretty much every scene with Joe Pesci. But overall, I felt it was retreading ground that worked fresher and rawer the first time out.
I agree the Sting/Clapton song was the best part of Three.
And it's no contest between the Enterprise and the Death Star. The Enterprise can go back in time. So it can make sure the Death Star is built with a really fatal flaw and exploit it. Or just prevent it from being built if this isn't a two-part episode. Piece of cake other than the obligatory argument about changing the timeline, which Scotty solves by saying "How do we know he didn't invent the the thing?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks