What's new

The Leftovers (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Like Adam mentioned earlier, "utterly absurd". Hard to believe "actors" go through this and recite those lines.

It's fun, it's totally forgettable, but I tolerate it. Definitely not the type of show you'd see Meryl Streep doing, but these are "D" grade actors, so anything for a paycheck. :eek:
whaaaaaaaa_zpsm55sfg6a.gif

Stan

Senior HTF Member

It's odd how some of these actors trash their careers, but I guess by the time they do it, they're loaded with cash, so nothing to worry about.

Charlton Heston, always a "way over the top" actor dropped off my list after the "Bowling for Columbine" documentary. Same thing with Clint Eastwood after his goofy "chair" discussion.

Still enjoying "The Leftovers". It's unique, very different from regular mainstream TV, nice to see something that's doesn't follow the typical formula.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Just another episode of the silly, forgettable, popcorn show that is The Leftovers. Just a bunch of D-grade actors throwing their careers away on the most raw, real, and genuine show on TV.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just a bunch of D-grade actors throwing their careers away on the most raw, real, and genuine show on TV.
Thanks to this show and Fargo, the world got two Carrie Coon-centric episodes in one week. To quote Joey Ramone (and others), "and I think to myself, what a wonderful world".

So Nora answered the baby question differently than VW-self-immolation guy, yet both were rejected. Interesting.
It's easy to answer the question when it's only theoretical and I realize it's pretty messed up but I'd go with Nora and the VW man. I assume that bad things will now befall me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got a very strong The Vanishing (Dutch original version) vibe from this episode. How far would you go or what would you put yourself through to find out where a vanished loved one went. She even did the coffin.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jasmin Savoy Brown was spotted filming in Australia, so I knew she'd be back. The fact that she was again credited as a guest star makes me think this might be it, though. It was a really interesting development. Because one hand, obviously Daniah Moabizzi wasn't Evangeline Murphy in disguise. On other hand, seeing her on the TV led him to the TV station window, which was how Kevin Sr. knew he was in Australia and reunited him with the cultists. And the pain caused by hallucinating was uniquely targeted at isolating him from everybody else around him. So if larger forces are at work, Kevin hallucinating Evie was a means to convey him along toward his higher purpose.

But if larger forces are not at work, believing that people on television are directing special messages to you is a classic "delusion of reference" that is a hallmark of schizophrenia. And apophenia is another hallmark symptom of schizophrenia. But does it really count as apophenia if it's the people around you who are perceiving the patterns in the random noise?

Here is an English translation of the chapter of the Quran cited on Daniah's sign:
When the sun is overthrown,
And when the stars fall,
And when the hills are moved,
And when the camels big with young are abandoned,
And when the wild beasts are herded together,
And when the seas rise,
And when souls are reunited,
And when the girl child that was buried alive is asked
For what sin she was slain,
And when the pages are laid open,
And when the sky is torn away,
And when hell is lighted
And when the garden is brought nigh
(Then) every soul will know what it hath made ready.
Oh, but I call to witness the planets,
The stars which rise and set,
And the close of night,
And the breath of morning
That this is in truth the word of an honored messenger,
Mighty, established in the presence of the Lord of the Throne,

Is Patti the girl child that was buried alive? Is Kevin the honored messenger?

Still enjoying "The Leftovers". It's unique, very different from regular mainstream TV, nice to see something that's doesn't follow the typical formula.
Most of your opinions on this show are so 180 degree opposite from mine that I scarcely could believe that we're watching the same show, but on this much we agree.

So Nora answered the baby question differently than VW-self-immolation guy, yet both were rejected. Interesting.
Interesting indeed.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Most of your opinions on this show are so 180 degree opposite from mine that I scarcely could believe that we're watching the same show, but on this much we agree.

Sorry if we don't agree. I really enjoy your posts.

I've been on pain meds and steroids for a knee injury, so my recent stuff may be a bit "off". See the surgeon on Friday, knee replacement coming up this summer, so I'll be back to normal soon. :rolleyes:

Until then, I'll shut up. Been a member for almost 20 years, so I must be doing something right.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I know you're not trolling or anything, Stan. You just have a completely different reaction to this show.

Will be catching up this weekend. Had three episodes on the DVR, now I've got four.

DVRs are dangerous, they just record and record. Stuff you'd like to see, but when there is 200 hours of stuff, impossible to view it all.

DISH Network wants me to switch to their "Hopper" system. Yeah, as if I have a few thousand hours to spare. It records 16 shows at one time. Am I just supposed to become an overweight lump, living in a recliner and never moving? Watching whatever the DVR captures?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
DISH Network wants me to switch to their "Hopper" system. Yeah, as if I have a few thousand hours to spare. It records 16 shows at one time. Am I just supposed to become an overweight lump, living in a recliner and never moving? Watching whatever the DVR captures?
Signs-Point-to-Yes.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised that the orgy was rather tastefully depicted... for an orgy anyway.

The priest and the pimple joke was hilariously demented. I'll give credit to The Leftovers when I repeat it to people all week.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
It amazes me how much I enjoy this show yet I still don't have much of an idea of what's going on. It's like watching an abstract painting.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This has been a flawless season of television, with moments of pure, raw emotion, like Nora in the sprinkler at the end of last episode, or Matt talking with "God" in this episode. Every now and then something crazy happens (like the lion), but it all flows organically out of the storytelling so it never seems unnatural or forced. Then, there are punctuated instances of humour, like Matt's final comment before the end credits.

If you want to see creators at the top of their game, with the full confidence of the higher-ups (who give them reign/money), the cast, and the crew, then look no further than The Leftovers, Legion, Fargo, and Mr. Robot. Those are the types of shows that result when the studios say "yes" to the creators.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It's still hard to decipher what the creators of this show are trying to suggest, if anything, besides traditional religions are no less crazy cults than the ones like the Guilty Remnant or the Frasier orgy crew. Get your faith wherever you can, because it's all meshuga.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks