What's new

The green light came on for my ADSL! (1 Viewer)

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Paul!
biggrin.gif
I have never been so happy on the net! I have Norton 2002, and Zone, I hope nothing is getting to me.
I have a question? My son said there is a down load limit(10g or something) per month, anyone know if that is true? He told me he was already halfway there, and we have not even had ADSL for a week yet? How much we download is kept track of?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Bruce
http://bruceabar.tripod.com/theabarshometheater/

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bruce,
Congratulations!
I have aDSL for more than a year now (actually, almost 2 years, come to think of it). And it suits me perfectly! Your phone bill will be lower (if you were only a bit more than a very casual internetter).
Your speed, quality and connectivity has dramatically increased now. If you - or anyone in your household - is a big gamer: down go your bills, up your satisfaction (or: up go your bills, but even more your gaming satisfaction
wink.gif
).
As I said: congratulations!
Cees

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Bruce,
You might want to have your computer checked out by http://www.pcpitstop.com IMO, this is a good way to test out a computer and fix up some of the better known security flaws. In order to use their program, you need to login and use MSIE.
Dave

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, I have Shaw @ Home (via cable) and that rumour of 10GB/month circulated around a while back (couple of years ago I think). No my knowledge, there is no such limit.
Sounds like you're getting a pretty good deal too. I think I'm paying $40/month or so for cable. Not sure if ADSL is any cheaper here though...
BTW, Hope B.C. has a fond place in my heart now. In August I was driving with a friend to the Molson Indy in Vancouver and we were running out of gas. We pulled into Hope running on fumes. Never again will I drive through the mountains with less than half a tank!
blush.gif

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
They do use the term ADSL here in the states. It's just that generally people use the generic term DSL when talking about it. Some companies provide you with the option of full DSL (SDSL, I believe) or ADSL. Some only offer ADSL.

Jim Korns

Auditioning
You are right, there are a lot of favors of DSL: ADSL, SDSL, IDSL, RaDSL, HDSL, SHDSL, to name a few. I myself have VDSL at my house from SWBT (uses a Lucent modem).
There is a lot of info and resource over at http://www.dslreports.com to help you understand, troubleshoot, optimize, or just complain about your DSL service. I also work for a major manufacturer of DSL modems (NICs, bridges, routers, etc), and have probably written some of the software that a few of you are using, but will keep that identity to myself :cool:

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Bruce - I always remember driving through Hope on the way to Tsawassen, and stopping at (Rollie's, is it?) It's not far off the highway. Not bad food if I recall.

Jim Korns - I've visited DSLReports.com before and found it quite helpful. Are there any other GOOD sites with further information on DSL, advantages/disadvantages, and comparison with cable services out there? Where also, can I go for technical aspects of DSL? Thanks.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
I've had both cable and DSL (ADSL). Cable speeds can be up in the MB/Sec, but the speed of cable seems to vary, where as DSL stays the same.

It all depends on the cable company, where you usually have one choice, that is changing now. With DSL you can choose another ISP, I have DirectvDSL (Telocity), get good speeds 1.5Mbit down - 128Kbit up, it seems to be always that speed.

I also use Norton AV, works great. I have a LinkSys router, it protects against port sniffers. It seems I get nothing but people looking for open ports on my network.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Bruce... that describes what I remember to a T... maybe that's where we went, and I just remember the sign. We went there for thhe huge portions, and it would really keep you full for the whole day. Great breakfasts there too!

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Bruce that is so weird, my ADSL has been down since thursday and I just noticed it was back on when I came home today.
I asked them if there was any other outages and they said no, LIARS.
The nerve of them to not tell me that Bruce's ADSL was also down :).
edit: hmm i thought u were saying ur adsl was down, and u just got ur adsl back :). Welcome to the world of ADSL bruce.
Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks