What's new

HBO Max The French Connection on HBOMax (1 Viewer)

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
The French Connection showed up on MAX and it is the original uncut version, unlike the Criterion stream and the current digital versions. No disclaimer, either.
Great news. Sad state of motion pictures that this is even a thing though. I understand the Signature Collection bluray has become a hot commodity as of late.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Figures. Just like other quiet reversals, Disney wants to pretend it never happened.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Peter,

Could you expand on your post concerning the uncut version? And does this mean that my current versions on BD are not the original theatrical cuts?

Thanks,
PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Peter,

Could you expand on your post concerning the uncut version? And does this mean that my current versions on BD are not the original theatrical cuts?

Thanks,
PMF
There is a scene early in the movie after Russo is cut by a perp in which Popeye goes on an ethnic rant about how he doesn’t trust anyone. It happens at the police station just before they go to a club when they first spot Tony Lo Bianco’s character. Disney cuts the ethnic rant out on the digital streams used on Vudu, iTunes and Criterion.

The Blu-ray releases are intact with the entire film sequence.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Appalling that the Criterion streaming would censor a show/film.
Criterion isn't the one that censor it. Now, they could've pulled it once they became aware of the situation, but the blame here is strictly on Disney. They supplied the streaming file to Criterion and other streaming services. I noticed that the Max stream had the old HBO logo prior to the film's opening credits which might indicate that their streaming file was an older one that wasn't updated with the edited stream.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
The scene in question is intact on my Filmmakers Signature Series Blu-ray (2011) from 20th Century Fox. That, I believe, is the restored color palette after the initial Blu-ray that had altered the colors.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The scene in question is intact on my Filmmakers Signature Series Blu-ray (2011) from 20th Century Fox. That, I believe, is the restored color palette after the initial Blu-ray that had altered the colors.
It has never been removed from any physical copy of the film. This was only on streaming versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks