What's new

The Forbidden Zone (1980) on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
This movie is what I am referring to.

Having finally seen the film, I am convinced that this cult classic is a surrreal, fantastically bizarre pieces of cinema that deserves a DVD release.. and I'm entirely convinced that this Richard/Danny Elfman collaboration deserved a place in the annals of underground cinema.

However, it has never been on DVD. Some of its content could be (justifiably) seen as controversial, perhaps even exploitative. But this is [rant]not[/rant] a discussion I wish to get into, nor is it appropriate for this thread, or for the HTF. I am simply wondering if there are others who have seen this film and whether it will ever see the light of day outside of $50 deposit VHS rentals at savvy video stores.

My question is, who has the rights to this film? Will we ever see this released again?

Joseph

Ron Morgan

Agent
Here's Richard Elfman's site. I seem to recall that he holds the rights to it, but the website has been updated and I can't get past the front page with my webtv.

I love this movie and would be ecstatic to see a DVD released. I cherish my VHS copy, which I picked up for fifteen dollars way back in the late eighties simply by asking the owner of the rental store if he wanted to sell it. I've thought that a neat extra to a DVD release would be to have Mr. Elfman prepare a colorized version. (Note I said extra- a pristine print from the B&W neg would be a necessity- or at least from the best source possible) Done with really wild colors and no attempt at a natural look it could be quite fun. Hey if Criterion could release some John Waters on laser, why not FORBIDDEN ZONE ?

Oh...banana oil...

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Ron. :)

The print I saw was a somewhat worn VHS tape from a video store. It looked awfully washed out. I would be curious about the condition of the source material.

I'll check out the website and see if I can ask the webmaster whether it is possible to ask Mr. Elfman about the rights status of this film.

I think a colorized version would be very, very interesting... as long as, as you said, the original B&W were available.

update: There is a trailer for 'Forbidden Zone' on Elfman's (graphics intensive) website. There is no way to contact anyone affiliated with the site unfortunately. There is also no mention of the status of any of his films, all which sound fascinating.

Joseph

Ron Morgan

Agent
Actually, on the bottom of the front page there is an email address:

Elfman.com address

I wonder if the store you rented the tape from was renting out a dupe and keeping the original safe under lock and key. The copy I have was probably only rented a few times before I bought it and the image looks a little soft, but certainly not washed out.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I wonder if the store you rented the tape from was renting out a dupe and keeping the original safe under lock and key.
That's certainly a possibility, since the footage on Elfman's site was a considerable improvement over what I saw (then again, I was watching Forbidden Zone on a 52" rear projection screen).

In any case, I'm sure it's recognized that this is a cult classic, and deserving of release. I'm sure there is a money or rights issue (it always comes down to either one or both of those things) preventing a release.

Thanks again for the information! Nice to know there are people out there who appreciate such lesser known cult classics.

Joseph

Real Name
Arthur Dent
Richard Elfman had the same idea you did - back when it was originally released. He wanted to have it shipped out to China and colored by hand, but this was too expensive.

So, anyway, the film has been digitally colorized under Elfman's authorization by Legend Films, is currently being screened in San Francisco, and will be released on DVD at the end of the month.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It is on DVD, from Fantoma; released 2004, and still available from Amazon. I haven't seen it in years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks