What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony’s surprise hit last summer, The Equalizer 3, arrives with a stunning transfer on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

The Equalizer 3 (2023)

Released: 01 Sep 2023
Rated: R
Runtime: 109 min

Director: Antoine Fuqua
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller

Cast: Denzel Washington, Dakota Fanning, Eugenio Mastrandrea
Writer(s): Richard Wenk, Michael Sloan, Richard Lindheim

Plot: Robert McCall finds himself at home in Southern Italy but he discovers his friends are under the control of local crime bosses. As events turn deadly, McCall knows what he has to do: become his friends' protector by taking on the ...

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PMF

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I also enjoy the Equalizer movies and have added the newest addition to the franchise to my library. I just have not gotten around to watching it yet but I am looking forward to seeing it for the first time.

Equalizer 4K Trilogy.jpg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Can Todd or someone else who owns this in UHD Blu-ray confirm something for me?

My copy seems to have trailers that didn't engage HDR on my player/display -- is this normal, and just the way the disc was authored?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can Todd or someone else who owns this in UHD Blu-ray confirm something for me?

My copy seems to have trailers that didn't engage HDR on my player/display -- is this normal, and just the way the disc was authored?
The trailers are in 1080p.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, good action movie fare with some very nasty baddies. I preferred this to the second one, as the action started early (no slow build-up from nice guy to killing machine, he's a tough guy from the get-go) & it had an interesting look & a great looking location. I do have a big soft spot for action movies.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I actually disagree with Alan; the second one was far better than this entry, IMO.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
We all have opinions
Well, of course; that's why I mentioned "IMO."
and I agree with Alan‘s regarding my preference for this latest movie over the second film.
Interesting; can't agree in the least, given that this one just didn't have the same visceral impact as the sequel to me. First, we have McCall taking out all of the mafia don's henchmen without any difficulties at all (towards the end), when in the second film, Pedro Pascal's character at least gave him something of a fight on top of that tower during the end hurricane sequence. Where was the challenge in this third one? He basically
assassinated all the henchmen and then force-fed the drugs to the head of the family to end the story.

Secondly, Dakota's character was CRIMINALLY underused in this, especially given her connection to McCall's past (with Susan and Brian).

Thirdly, it just felt like Denzel was phoning in this performance here -- I get that he's around 69 (unless I read that wrong somewhere) so he's not going to be as agile as he was in, say, Malcom X or Crimson Tide, but there was no physical hand-to-hand combat sequences to really take this to the next level. It just seemed like they went with the "well, Denzel can't really shoot an action scene under his own momentum, so we're going to have him take these guys out quickly and without hassle" approach. I mean, there were a myriad of missed opportunities here, starting with the "Viking" character, who was kind of being set up as a physical match for McCall, yet nothing happened.

These are the kinds of things that bothered me about the narrative; while I didn't like it as much as the second, I surely didn't hate it, evidenced by my purchase of it on 4K physical media.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m not going to argue with you but I enjoyed this movie more than the second one. It thought it was a good send off for this movie series.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Argue?

Who's arguing? I merely stated what my reasons were for preferring the second over this one (basically outlining what my issues were with the third).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks