John Dirk

Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
JOHN
Exactly. A $50 Blu-ray player might not seem very expensive in and of itself or in context to hardware thirty years ago. But of course, a $50 BD player isn’t competing for market share against thirty year old machines. It’s competing for market share in an environment where a $20 Roku or Amazon FireStick takes care of what most customers are looking for.
That's a good point. I always forget, not everyone loves this stuff the way I do. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It came as a shock for me the first time I encountered someone who was as into the actual content as I was but who cared not one bit about what format it was on. I actually - and this shows what an idiot I was being at the time - tried to argue that I, by virtue of having the disc, was actually watching the movie, while he was just watching a copy of the movie. I mean, what does that even mean? But that’s how invested I was in discs at the time, that I couldn’t see past the shadow of my collection. I felt like a moron as soon as I said it.

Reactions: BobO'Link

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
It came as a shock for me the first time I encountered someone who was as into the actual content as I was but who cared not one bit about what format it was on. I actually - and this shows what an idiot I was being at the time - tried to argue that I, by virtue of having the disc, was actually watching the movie, while he was just watching a copy of the movie. I mean, what does that even mean? But that’s how invested I was in discs at the time, that I couldn’t see past the shadow of my collection. I felt like a moron as soon as I said it.
Many years ago I came across somebody like this in my local social circles. Though not in the way you may think.

This person was one of those guys who would cycle through dvd disc subscription services very quickly, frequently using two Netflix accounts (ie. another account under his wife's name). Almost every other day a new disc arrives in the mail, he would immediately rip it to the computer external hard drive and send the disc back in the mail within hours.

It just happened this guy also lived near a public library, where he would sign out the maximum number of dvd discs on his library card and immediately rip all the discs to the computer. He had long lists of requests which the librarian would do for him via interlibrary requests.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, that’s not really the same thing. I was talking about someone who didn’t care if the movie was viewed on a streaming service or a disc; you’re describing outright theft.

Reactions: John Dirk and jcroy

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Yeah, that’s not really the same thing. I was talking about someone who didn’t care if the movie was viewed on a streaming service or a disc; you’re describing outright theft.
I actually pointed this out to him, thinking that I had a moral high ground (ie. buying actual dvds).

He admitted outright it was pure piracy plain and simple. But he still didn't care, and just shrugged it off.

:emoji_skull_crossbones:

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And this is why we can’t have nice things anymore. Why the entire media industry, whether it’s publishing or filmmaking or music, is in such trouble. They are dealing with an unprecedented amount of rampant theft from a public that simply refuses to acknowledge the consequences of their actions, and a legal system that hesitated to treat digital theft on par with physical theft of the same content. If you get caught walking out of Best Buy with a bunch of stuff you didn’t pay for, you’re going to jail for a few years. If you get caught illegally downloading content, you’ll get a letter from your ISP asking you nicely to stop.

Reactions: jcroy

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
And this is why we can’t have nice things anymore.
For the most part. Unfortunate things have come this way, but not surprising.

I first saw this widely when it came to computer software, and how the hardcore folks would just "collect" pilfered software for the sake of collecting it. Also for bragging rights amongst other hardcore software pirates.

They never actually used any of the pilfered software they acquired.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan
I still like my DVD's in my hand.
And yes! I still have VHS Tapes & LaserDisc.
Three VHS players. Two LaserDisc players.
Two 4K DVD players.
I say this. POPCORN. MOVIES. IGNORE THE WORD.

Reactions: andySu

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I also have laserdiscs- about 50 or so. My player still works too (at least the last time I fired it up).
I mainly have it for playing the original, unaltered Star Wars: A New Hope.

Reactions: DP 70 and atcolomb

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart