The DVD day’s are numbered. (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Exactly. A $50 Blu-ray player might not seem very expensive in and of itself or in context to hardware thirty years ago. But of course, a $50 BD player isn’t competing for market share against thirty year old machines. It’s competing for market share in an environment where a $20 Roku or Amazon FireStick takes care of what most customers are looking for.

That's a good point. I always forget, not everyone loves this stuff the way I do. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It came as a shock for me the first time I encountered someone who was as into the actual content as I was but who cared not one bit about what format it was on. I actually - and this shows what an idiot I was being at the time - tried to argue that I, by virtue of having the disc, was actually watching the movie, while he was just watching a copy of the movie. I mean, what does that even mean? But that’s how invested I was in discs at the time, that I couldn’t see past the shadow of my collection. I felt like a moron as soon as I said it.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It came as a shock for me the first time I encountered someone who was as into the actual content as I was but who cared not one bit about what format it was on. I actually - and this shows what an idiot I was being at the time - tried to argue that I, by virtue of having the disc, was actually watching the movie, while he was just watching a copy of the movie. I mean, what does that even mean? But that’s how invested I was in discs at the time, that I couldn’t see past the shadow of my collection. I felt like a moron as soon as I said it.

Many years ago I came across somebody like this in my local social circles. Though not in the way you may think.

This person was one of those guys who would cycle through dvd disc subscription services very quickly, frequently using two Netflix accounts (ie. another account under his wife's name). Almost every other day a new disc arrives in the mail, he would immediately rip it to the computer external hard drive and send the disc back in the mail within hours.

It just happened this guy also lived near a public library, where he would sign out the maximum number of dvd discs on his library card and immediately rip all the discs to the computer. He had long lists of requests which the librarian would do for him via interlibrary requests.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, that’s not really the same thing. I was talking about someone who didn’t care if the movie was viewed on a streaming service or a disc; you’re describing outright theft.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yeah, that’s not really the same thing. I was talking about someone who didn’t care if the movie was viewed on a streaming service or a disc; you’re describing outright theft.

I actually pointed this out to him, thinking that I had a moral high ground (ie. buying actual dvds).

He admitted outright it was pure piracy plain and simple. But he still didn't care, and just shrugged it off.

:emoji_skull_crossbones:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And this is why we can’t have nice things anymore. Why the entire media industry, whether it’s publishing or filmmaking or music, is in such trouble. They are dealing with an unprecedented amount of rampant theft from a public that simply refuses to acknowledge the consequences of their actions, and a legal system that hesitated to treat digital theft on par with physical theft of the same content. If you get caught walking out of Best Buy with a bunch of stuff you didn’t pay for, you’re going to jail for a few years. If you get caught illegally downloading content, you’ll get a letter from your ISP asking you nicely to stop.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
And this is why we can’t have nice things anymore.

For the most part. Unfortunate things have come this way, but not surprising.

I first saw this widely when it came to computer software, and how the hardcore folks would just "collect" pilfered software for the sake of collecting it. Also for bragging rights amongst other hardcore software pirates.

They never actually used any of the pilfered software they acquired.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Yep. As generations evolve, more and more folks are adopting the same philosophy, "we'll just keep what we have," just as you pointed out in your chronology. It will eventually get to the point where even the "seasoned" generation of the day has never even heard of physical media, but not likely in my time.

There may not be too many advantages to getting older but this is one of them for me. I'll likely be long gone well before the demise of physical media.
Hi. You said it right. I think I will be long gone also. And remember. Old Guys Rule.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I got the hint when Oppo stopped manufacturing. Media keeps upgrading too. 4k now 8k. Even wiring your theater is temporary, and upgrades for in wall become necessary. Future is total streaming, and WIFI. What will we do when the ISP goes down? Play cards?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
[email protected] post: 4588743 said:
The DVD day's are numbered. Just like the Laser Disc,VHS Tapes. I still like my movies & TV shows in my hand...Yes I have Amazon, Hulu, Warner Archives, NetFlix, FilmStruck.
But i still buy DVD's. Laser Disc. And have over 250 VHS tapes.
But like the VHS Tapes & Laser Disc. DVD's there days are numbered.
It will be a time yet. But it will come.
Everything will be Digital.

DVDs are digital. What makes you think otherwise?

JackieT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackie
My wife is on a quest to remodel living room and over past weekend she opened up two big storage containers of dvd and some blu movies and asked why we had them still. We both agreed that we never use them since we have multiple streaming services, so we took dozens of discs and cases and put them in the trash. I think I have 2 blu rays left in the house.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'm all for getting rid of things you have no use for. That being said: Thrift stores/charities or libraries that are still open will almost certainly take donations of DVD's/Blu's - unless they're scratched/unwatchable (and they may even take them then).

People who collect physical media are always posting their finds at places like Goodwill & similar stores, etc. So, there are definitely people out there who still collect/buy these disks - and who specifically look for them at places like this.

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Just to add my .02: Charities or libraries that are still open will almost certainly take donations of DVD's/Blu's - unless they're scratched/unwatchable (and they may even take them then).

People who collect physical media are always posting their finds at places like Goodwill & similar stores, etc. So, there are definitely people out there who still collect/buy these disks.

I'm one of them. I still like the disc in my hand. And I even get LaserDisc now and then.
When I can find one I want.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
People who collect physical media are always posting their finds at places like Goodwill & similar stores, etc. So, there are definitely people out there who still collect/buy these disks - and who specifically look for them at places like this.

God bless the Salvation Army, second hand stores, Goodwill, and others. Really.

--jthree

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks