What's new

3D The Bubble (1966) (3D Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes!

And I would have made it but the writer said the quotes from Godard's cinematographer bumped mine.

I'm not complaining!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The article included John Ford among the directors who "gave 3D a whirl". I don't believe that Ford ever made a 3D movie. Are they confusing him with John Wayne who starred in a 3D film?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
387.jpg
Kino Lorber Releases the Groundbreaking 3-D Sci-Fi Classic The Bubble Fully Restored by the 3-D Film Archive

Available in 3-D Blu-ray edition on November 18thpacked with special features

1407.jpg

"REMARKABLE is the word for Arch Oboler's futuristic space-age movies." - Chicago Daily News
NEW YORK, NY - OCTOBER 30, 2014 - Kino Lorber proudly announces the release on its Kino Classics label of Arch Oboler's thrilling and groundbreaking 3-D sci-fi classic, THE BUBBLE, in a special 3-D Blu-ray edition, packed with bonus features.

1408.jpg
Originally released in 1966, THE BUBBLE was a milestone in the history of 3-D filmmaking, being the first production shot in the Space-Vision 3-D system, an innovative new process that revolutionized the way 3-D movies would be made for the next 30 years.

Now, this landmark film is back for new viewers to see in its original, groundbreaking Space-Vision 3-D on Blu-ray, restored from the original 35mm negatives by the 3-D Film Archive. The Blu-ray edition of THE BUBBLE will become available onNovember 18, 2014, with a SRP of $34.95, presented in 3-D (requiring a 3-D player, television and glasses, but which will also display in 2-D on regular setups).

Bonus features include an essay by noted film preservationist Bob Furmanek, founder of the 3-D Film Archive; screenplay excerpts that detail deleted scenes from the film; trailers; a stills gallery; an alternate opening (presented in both 3-D and 2-D); and a restoration demonstration (presented in 3-D and 2-D).

The new 2k digital 3-D DCP restoration will also have its world premiere at the Museum of Modern Art's "To Save and Project" festival in New York, with screenings on November 7 and November 9.

In addition to being a pioneering work in 3-D film production, THE BUBBLE is also a classic of the sci-fi genre. It tells the thrilling tale of a young couple who find themselves stranded in a most unusual town, one in which the populace exists in a kind of zombie-like state. They soon realize, to their horror, that the entire town is enclosed under a giant dome, with the people trapped like insects, and the young couple must make their escape before they too become permanently trapped in this strange place.

Now fully restored by the 3-D Film Archive, this Blu-ray edition will give classic movie buffs, genre fans and 3-D enthusiasts alike the chance to experience this sci-fi classic on their home entertainment systems in the way it was meant to be seen!

https://thumbnail.constantcontact.com/remoting/v1/vthumb/YOUTUBE/310a61ed80064356bfa0d64638d3edd2 THE BUBBLE - reissue Trailer in HD for 3-D Feature

SYNOPSIS:

THE BUBBLE is the "eerie and enjoyable" (Los Angeles Times) science-fiction spine-tingler that sicked audiences and revolutionized the cinematic world of 3-D! The eye-popping thrills and chills begin when a plane carrying pregnant Catherine (Deborah Walley) and her husband Mark (Michael Cole) is forced to land in a mysterious remote town. The townspeople are quite strange, indeed: they repeat certain phrases and movements ceaselessly and stagger through the streets like brain-dead automatons. Then there is an even more terrifying discovery -- the zombie inhabitants live under an impenetrable dome, trapped like insects in a jar. Can Catherine, Mark and their newborn baby escape or will they become mindless drones trapped in a human zoo?

THE BUBBLE introduced the groundbreaking Space-Vision 3-D system, which pioneered a new way of both shooting and exhibiting 3-D film. These single-strip 35mm stereoscopic techniques were used in almost all major 3-D features for the next 30 years, making THE BUBBLE not only an "amazing" (Hollywood Reporter) sci-fi thriller, but also an important milestone in the history of cinema. Now fully restored from the 35mm negatives by the 3-D Film Archive.

THE BUBBLE
Written and Directed by Arch Oboler​
Starring Michael Cole, Deborah Walley and Johnny Desmond​
Genre: Science Fiction​
Blu-ray Street Date: November 18, 2014
Blu-ray SRP: $34.95​
Blu-ray UPC: 738329132224
Technical Specs:
1966 / English / Color / 91 mins. / 2.50:1 / Mono / DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

Bonus Features:
3-D (Requires 3-D player, television and glasses - will output in 2-D on regular setups)
Essay by Bob Furmanek
Screenplay excerpts of deleted scenes
Trailers
Stills Gallery
Alternate Opening (3-D and 2-D)
Restoration Demonstration (3-D and 2-D)​

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The last I heard, they feel it may be a full house!

If so, there is a second show on Sunday, November 9.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unfortunately work obligations won't allow me to attend the screenings, but congratulations and best of luck to Bob, Greg and the rest of the 3-D Film Archive team at the MOMA event. Sounds like it will be a blast!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Ordered! This will be future-proofing for me, as I don't have a 3D-capable TV yet, but this should be a real trip anyway, as I haven't seen this since the "FANTASTIC INVASION OF PLANET EARTH" retitling, both flat and P&S on local TV back in the late 1970s! :cool:

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Whilst I have nothing but admiration for Robert Bernier's 3D photography I'm not labouring under any delusion that this is a good movie.
The sets and props appear to be whatever was lying around or just happened to be within walking distance, the acting is woeful and the story makes no sense at all. I went to see it twice in the 80s, the second time taking my then girlfriend along. "The Bubble" may well be one of the reasons she's now my ex-girlfriend.
Like the critic said about "Daredevil", "this movie isn't suitable for children . . . or adults.". I'm definitely going to buy it. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I respectfully disagree.

The film has recently gotten some very positive reactions from those that have seen the restoration, including the film department at MoMA and Nicolas Rapold at the New York Times. It's an interesting script, the acting is very good and the 3-D cinematography is superb.

In many ways, it was ahead of its time.The original 1967 reviews were generally quite good. It was the re-issue in 1976 - with a totally inappropriate ad campaign - that gave it a bad reputation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/movies/godard-tries-out-3-d-in-goodbye-to-language.html?_r=0

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I placed an order at a second online shop, hoping they ship early like they used to. I can't order as many discs as I used, and as I want to, but this one is must-buy that I've been looking forward to since you started talking about it, Bob. :)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Furmanek said:
I respectfully disagree.

The film has recently gotten some very positive reactions from those that have seen the restoration, including the film department at MoMA and Nicolas Rapold at the New York Times. It's an interesting script, the acting is very good and the 3-D cinematography is superb.

In many ways, it was ahead of its time.The original 1967 reviews were generally quite good. It was the re-issue in 1976 - with a totally inappropriate ad campaign - that gave it a bad reputation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/movies/godard-tries-out-3-d-in-goodbye-to-language.html?_r=0
I remember when "The Bubble" was first shown in the UK in 1967, the Daily Express film critic gave it a thorough kicking.
I don't think it was shown much, if at all outside London and a few major cities, so I didn't get to see it until 1983. By that time I suppose it must have been the slightly shorter version that was in circulation, although it was still called "The Bubble".
Could it be that "The Fantastic Invasion of Planet Earth" title was only used in the US?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Arch Oboler was four-walling the film in 1967 so it's very possible it only played in a few UK theaters.

I'm not sure if the re-issue played outside the U.S. That's a good question.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It's always very special hearing from the people that created the work which you have restored.

I just got a beautiful, heartfelt message from Michael Cole. He was 21 when he starred in THE BUBBLE.

"This is very exciting and very emotional...It brings back a lot of good memories..I'm very happy. Thank you."

Cole.gif

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bob Furmanek said:
Arch Oboler was four-walling the film in 1967 so it's very possible it only played in a few UK theaters.

I'm not sure if the re-issue played outside the U.S. That's a good question.
Is it possible that the 1983 screening could have been the original version? If so the print was in good condition as far as I remember.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I suppose it's unlikely a print of the original would have been kept in the UK for over 15 years without someone noticing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks