What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The "Black Man" in those reality TV dating shows... (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I remember when Charles Dutton went on some talk show to promote Mimic, and the host (Leno?) asked him if he dies in the movie. Dutton just started laughing and said, "I'm a black guy in a horror movie! What the hell do you think?"

I always thought the saddest example was that movie, Leviathan, when Peter Weller, the lead actress (forget her name), and Ernie Hudson all survive and make it back to the ocean's surface. They're all happy, until suddenly the monster suddenly reappears and is seemingly possessed with a single-minded determination to destroy Ernie Hudson. And of course, it's not until the poor guy's dead that the monster finally succumbs. *sigh* Poor Ernie... :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Kevin,
When I saw the one black dude, *I* had an idea for a sequel. You are correct. There is always the token minority. My wife gets bitter at me, because I always rant when the poor guy (or girl) gets dropped.

Anyways, I wanted to get some southern princess from GA, and set her up in the exact same situation. And when the dude comes out, he'd be a brother. Hell, I'd even make him good-looking, ultra-successful, and very well-spoken. Then I'd ship them off to her family. That'd never fly, but it'd be damn funny to watch...if you had the right family ;) Some families wouldn't care...

Or make the Bachelor choose between 20 minority women or the Bachelorette between 20 minority men.

But race relations is a dangerous thing on TV ;)

Take care,
Chuck

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Expanding the subject a little...

This phenomenon isn't solely based on race. Remember how all of the casts of The Real World included exactly one openly gay member. They would even joke about it on the show during the arrival, trying to figure out which one of the housemates was the token homosexual.

I haven't watched any of the bachelor/bachelorette shows, but I'll believe that they have a realistic mix of bachelors to choose from when there is one closeted gay man to choose from as well.

"I really think Mike is a strong, handsome, and kind man, but I choose Trevor because we had so much fun shopping together and getting manicures." :D :D :D

Brad

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

I knew I should of explained a little, basically, if you are not attracted to their features, mainly facial features. I am not really attracted to Indian(middle eastern type) woman, I am just not a fan of their looks. There are exceptions(but rare imo) so maybe I just contridicted myself since there isn't a real reason to not date an extremely hot Indian, just that I rarely ever see a hot Indian woman. This is going on purely superficial reasons.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Living here in the widely diverse city of Atlanta, I see lots of beautiful Indian women. Even though I feel beauty can be found in all races, the only dating turn off for me would be a drastic difference in the 2 cultures.

But back on topic, I would love to see a reversal of the token black trend by TV and movie producers, but something tells me that it's here to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks