1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The "Black Man" in those reality TV dating shows...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Alexander, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Why is he there? Do the producers of the shows like "The Bachelorette" just throw them in to pique the interest of the black audience?...Or are they there for "PC" purposes? I've noticed the same thing in shows like "The Bachelor" and "Joe Millionaire" - one black woman among 20-30 women. Does the "brother" really stand a chance, or is he there just to target a certain percentage of the audience?

2. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Kevin Alexander wrote (post #1):

Question:

Rita and Donovan in the tv series Eve (current)?
    Sheri and Dean Winston in For Your Love (tv, 1998-2002)?
    Jimmy J. 'Little J' Teeters in the movie Posse (1993)?

Given the situations, why are they there? Do producers just throw them in to pique the interest of . . . a certain percentage of the audience . . . the white audience?

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The token black dude is very much alive. At least because blacks (12% of US population) are by far the most vocal minority, the token is required. Characters of hispanic ( ~ 11.5%) and other (~4.5%) origin are simply non-existent. Then people wonder why channels like BET exist, and why WET would be severely frowned upon (hint: everything else is WET).

--
    H

4. Kevin Alexander

[​IMG] Yeah...don't even get me started on those beer commercials!

5. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

The presence of a single black contestant is the subject of a running argument on, of all things, ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption." Michael Wilbon insists that the "brother" will not survive the first cut and Tony Kornheiser rubs it in his face when he does. Then Wilbon says that he would bet everything that he doesn't make to the second round, etc. They also argue about how Seinfeldcould have been set in NYC and have been an almost entirely minority-free zone. Wilbon said that this is why he never watched. Then his brother, Don, ratted him out and wrote in saying that the absence of brothers and sisters didn't keep MW from watching Melrose Place.

6. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

Rex,

Kevin was talking about REALITY TV DATING SHOWS. Not scripted television shows.

Kevin,

IMO, it is definitely a PC thing so that the networks can keep minority interest groups off of their case. Remember a few years ago when the NAACP protested the big 3 networks for the lack of minorities on prime time television. I think the networks want to avoid that situation again.

7. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

Who says "reality TV dating shows" aren't scripted. Or at least edited in a way that fits the producers script. ....sorry I went a little off topic.

8. Kevin Alexander

Since there is obviously some PC that comes into play, I wonder if there is some type of agreement that keeps the black man on the show for at least the first few weeks before he is dismissed - just so that things aren't so obvious. Personally, as a minority myself, the whole situation of the token black is kinda funny. I remember the days of the older slasher (Friday The 13th and Nightmare on Elm St. movies) movies when the black man or the latino was the first to get the axe...literally. I wonder what it would do for ratings if "The Bachlorette" actually chose the "brother".

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    What if the Bachelor/Bachelorette him/herself were from a minority? Although I can see, like it or not, it might be a ratings disaster.

I can still remember on Bachelor 2, at the second rose ceremony, the two Asian girls (one Indian, the other Chinese or Korean) walked off without waiting to get rejected.

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yeah it's a PC thing.
    If I was a producer though for Bachelor/ette,I would choose a minority title character,and try to "aim" for an interracial end.To me that would be much more interesting,then the current thing.

11. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Not all the time though. In fact, I can think of very few slasher movies where the black characters were killed right away...

In fact, in NOES 3, Kinkaid survies...even though he's killed first in NOES 4...but that's not exactly the same...

In Freddy's Dead, Doc is a survivor at the end.

In F13th part 5, the only black character to die does so late in the movie, and another one survives. In part 7 and 8 both of the black characters last a long time.

12. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

Forgive me for going off-topic even further, but reality TV dating shows absolutely are scripted to an extent. I work in TV post-production, and I've seen "unsweetened" episodes of some of these shows.

Example: On "Joe Millionaire," when the millionaire was revealing his true, secret feelings about the candidates in voiceover, this voiceover was READ BY SOMEONE ELSE FROM A SCRIPT in the unsweetened cut of the show, to be later dubbed over by Joe Millionaire. No kidding.

13. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I think it's great that they include minority contestants when the contestant is white.

I remember 15 years or so ago, it always used to bother me on shows like "Love Connection" where they would always have all white choices for white contestants or all-black choices for black contestants. I always wondered if they asked the contestant in advance if they would be open to date other races, but I had a strong feeling that that the producers just automatically did it that way to avoid any controversy. If they had asked, I am sure at least a few contestants would have expressed a desire to date other races.

14. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I think the Producers should ask if the Bachelor/ette would date other races and ask the contestants if they would date other races, then go from there. Some people are just not attracted to other races, some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons.

15. Kevin Alexander

I'm not challenging you in any way Jeremiah, I'm just curious, but what would be a right reason not to be attracted to another race?

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

In general, people are most attracted to others most like themselves. Or I should say they pursue relationships with such people, of the same socio-economic background. It has always been that way.

I certainly don't discriminate. If it has a heartbeat...

--
    H

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

[​IMG]
    Well Holadem, I can only observe that your choice of pronouns leaves a lot open here …

As for me, it was sort of like movies: I liked the action/adventure type, the long-hair art-house type, the Western girl, plenty who would fit into foreign films, a musical one or two, and … well I’m sure that you get the idea. It is possible that I ought to regret a couple that would have fit well into a film noir. [​IMG]

18. Kevin Alexander

You're right Holadem. I guess that could qualify as a right (or legitimate) reason not to be attracted to another race...if you can put it that way.

19. Scott L

Scott L Producer

As stereotypical as it is, I like the token black guy as long as he doesn't die. Imagine the Ghostbusters without Winston.

I'd like to see some more asians in the mix, being one and all, but I realize this ain't Asia. How many white guys do you see in Asian cinema?

20. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

How many asian countries claim to be melting pots?