What's new

The Big Blue (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well, I just finished watching this and I was totally amazed! Awesome show. I find Luc Besson to be hit or miss with me. Leon was awesome, fifth Element and Joan of Arc didn't really suit me. My question is though, how could Columbia let the transfer be so bad?I don't think they made any attempt to clean it up what so ever. My main point being, The Burn marks(Don't know the technical term sorry) at still there. Anyone else notice this?

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
the big blue is one of my "top 10" movies of all time!

but i think the dvd transfer is pretty darn good for a movie that came out in 1988! i didnt notice any of the burning you said, do you have a better discription of it and where in the movie does it happen?the only thing i noticed about the big blue is either you love it or hate it,and of course i love it!!

BTW i have a friend who lives in Saskatoon and she loves it too!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
When you say "burn marks," are you referring to the "cigarette burn" reel-change markers? The circular marks that appear briefly in the top-right corner of the frame every now and again?

I've never seen this movie, but it looks oh-so intriguing, and I've been dying to give it a whirl for some time now. The only version I've ever seen available for rent is an old pan and scan VHS tape. I really want to see it, though. I might just have to cave in and buy it one of these days.

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I was interested in this flick since I dig on Besson's work. So I rented it from Netflix. It did have the cigarette burns in the transfer, but it did look pretty good for being such an old flick. Chad, I guess the point of this movie missed me, but what made you think it was so good? Just curious. Because I really want to like it, but I guess it doesn't suit me.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I just read that Mayol, the person Big Blue is kind of based on, hanged himself today. Too bad.

Ron Birk

PatrickM

Screenwriter
This is one of my favourite movies. And, yes its sad that they left the changeover cues on the print but Besson doesn't really help the studio when it comes to his movies for some reason.

Anyway, even with the cues its still good to have it on DVD.

Patrick

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
So, does this mean I'm the only one who actually likes to see the "changeover cues" left intact for a DVD release?

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
When the film was shortened for American release, aparently the original negative was cut. This meant that any new transfer of the longer cut would have to come an existing release print, hence the changeover marks. A new score was added also (by Bill Conti).

The sound could easily be restored as original sound stems are completely separate from the negative and would not heve been cut physically, but in a sound studio. So the new sound mix is pristine, but the video is not because of having to use an actual print as the source.

This movie in its longer version has never looked or sounded better, and I have no problems at all with the transfer. it's top notch all the way.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Sorry to raise the dead here.
First of I love this movie. Back when I was still in school this movie was showing what seemed like everyday during the summer on HBO and I must have watched it 20 times. Great film and beautiful to look at.
I was incredibly dissapointed with the DVD. The picture quality is horrendous, honestly one of the worst that I have ever seen. I know that Besson doesn't help with the transferring of his films and I know that they had to use an old film reel for the transfer, but it is awefull!!
The "cigarette burns" don't really bother me (kinda neat actually). There is some MAJOR EE in this transfer, and I am not usually very picky about it nor do I go looking for it. There is grain and dust all over the place, the picture often looks very soft, the colors are extrememly washed out. Just terrible everywhere.
For the record I am using a Panasoic RP-91, Sony 1272Q CRT projector, line doubled, projected on a 100" 16:9 screen.
It's Columbia so I can hope and pray that they do it as a Superbit :D (yeah, like that will happen)
Just wanted to rant seeing how I love this movie and was hoping for a great looking DVD.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite movies ever! Incredibly good, in my opinion. The movie has a very unique "feel" to it, especially with the original score by Eric Serra. Many parts have an almost haunting feel to it. The movie even touches on the supernatural. And the subject matter (free diving) was unique and interesting. Incredible cinematography!

The transfer came direct from a used film reel. Apparently an original could not be located (not sure why).

Considering that the transfer was from a used film reel, with cigarette burns and all, I don't think the transfer is all that bad. Yes, there is some dirt here and there, but overall it is an acceptable transfer. I don't agree that the transfer is "just terrible everywhere", but it definitely could be better!

If only more people had seen this film, creating a bigger demand, there would be a better chance of getting a new release with a new transfer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks