What's new

The "better" A/V receivers... (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
What are some of the better quality A/V receivers out there. Not the mass marketed ones like Denon or H/K. But ones like Rotel and so on. I'm looking for one that goes for around $1000 USD Online. Thanks!

JackS

Supporting Actor
Arthur- Mass mkt. at 1K and above is really a misnomer. The stuff at this going rate is all well made and well designed and many would argue that these larger companies can and do offer a greater value for your dollars than some of the smaller more esoteric companies, and are almost always more expensive. These smaller companies do offer a degree of exclusivity and often a more personable attitude during times of equipment breakdown. Like country clubs cliques, the price of entry can be steep. Is it worth it? To many it is.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Try the Rotel 1055 receiver...there's a lot of people selling their Denon's to buy this unit. Rotel doesn't allow online sales though.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Jack, at that price level, I would not exclude Denon, H/K, or any of the major manufacturers.

-Steve

gregD

Second Unit
Yup... 'better' is very subjective.

You can pursue a 'better' receiver (Rotel, NAD, Arcam, B&K)... but you'll surely encounter prices beyond $1k, you'll not likely be able to buy them online, and some of them may have fewer features in the pursuit of 'better' sound.

Like everything else, you'd have to do comparison auditions to determine their worth to you.

Meanwhile, the $1k range gets you a quality receiver with the mainstream brands: H/K, Denon, Yamaha, Sony etc.

Shop around.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
In the 1k range I would probably myself purchase a HK 7200 but yet that is just me and it is an awesome reciever.

Of course other companies are always good and it is mainly up to the buyer what he wants.

chris.y

Auditioning
I faced the same question over the past few months when I was buying my new A/V receiver. I agree with the posts that say the $1,000 mark really isn't 'mass market' and that Denon, H/K and others make great stuff in this range.

I ended up with an NAD T762 for around the $1K range and I think it's terrific. When it comes down to it, unless you like receivers with tons of DSP modes and specific numbers of inputs/outputs, the real test of receivers in this range is to listen to how they sound.

On that front, I was surprised to find that the difference in sound is pretty noticeable. Not that one sound is better than another but that the sound is different.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
You know, if I went out right now and bought any receiver or pre/pro anywhere even close to this price range, whether it be Rotel, HK, NAD, what have you (all fine products for sure), I know that deep down inside that I would ALWAYS from then on still have this lingering, nagging doubt in the back of my mind wondering if I should have bought the 3803 instead for it's processing power.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Russ,
As you may have seen from my post about AVRs for under $1.5K, I am also in this same quandry. Could you elaborate a little more on your reply regarding the 3803's processing power?
Thanks,
Paul

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
What are some of the better quality A/V receivers out there. Not the mass marketed ones like Denon or H/K.
That's kind of like saying, "give me a luxury car for under $40K, but ensure it isn't a Lexus, Infinity or BMW." I'm afraid if you want a "real" luxury car, you'll have to cough up $150K for a Bentley. :D

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Paul, the 3803's processing section in very close to it's big brother, the 5803, including the "pure direct" mode. It simply has better DA converters, and DSP (the 5803 has 2 DSPs vs 1 for the 3803 though, I assume simply because of the 5803 being THX Ultra certified while the 3803 is not), than anything else even close to it's price class, at least on paper it does anyway. Now whether this would actually translate into a difference that you could clearly hear is up to debate. Bottom line though, if I personally was going to buy something new anywhere even close to this price range right now primarily for use as a pre/pro on movies, it'd be the 3803. I'm sure some will disagree, while others will agree.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm. I did get a 3803 for its processing power and I could not be more disappointed. The sound is polite and dry, but when pushed the sounds gets grainy sounding. The stereo image just breaks up. While its pre/pro section makes for a competent HT receiver, the amp section is really poor and for this amount of money, I think it is unforgiveable. It is particularly poor for 2 channel stereo music. I expect to unload it soon and get something with a much better amp section, probably an NAD 762 or 763.

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
"Hmmm. I did get a 3803 for its processing power and I could not be more disappointed. The sound is polite and dry, but when pushed the sounds gets grainy sounding. The stereo image just breaks up. While its pre/pro section makes for a competent HT receiver, the amp section is really poor and for this amount of money, I think it is unforgiveable. It is particularly poor for 2 channel stereo music. I expect to unload it soon and get something with a much better amp section, probably an NAD 762 or 763."

I started out wanting the 3803, but heard an NAD 752 (another customer was auditioning speakers with one) and was very impressed. When I had the chance to listen to them head-to-head (the store doesn't have a 762 out for demo), the 752 was far more impressive for music than the 3803. I expected more from the 3803, especially for the price, and am glad I never bought one online on one of those whims I had. I'll probably settle for the "older" 752 or 762 (as opposed to the 7x3's that are coming) when I make my purchase in the next couple of weeks.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
A H/K 7200 is an impressive machine. MSRP is $1999 but can be had for nearly half that and includes Logic7. At 20.5" deep and nearly 60lbs you may wanna shore up your A/V rack ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
A H/K 7200 is an impressive machine. MSRP is $1999 but can be had for nearly half that and includes Logic7. At 20.5" deep and nearly 60lbs you may wanna shore up your A/V rack
Gil, I couldn't agree with you more. When my 7200 arrived, it took me a few days to determine how I was going to put up a more supportive shelf for my 7200. However, I did hook it up and utilize it until it was placed in its resting place. Wow, what a performer ... with plenty of power ensuring that I won't need to add a separate power amp down the road.

It's a beast ... but such a bargain at $999.00 (plus shipping) to own a "flagship" receiver.

DarrylM

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought an NAD 742 to hold me over until I can pick up one of the new 763s. (I got a great deal on the 742, which I plan to sell later, so I won't be out too much this way.) While I haven't calibrated it yet or done any serious evaluations, I have been terribly impressed with the 742. For NAD's "bottom of the line" receiver, this thing really puts out some good, clean power. I also couldn't help but notice that it runs considerably cooler than any other receiver I've ever owned, for what it's worth. I'm sure I'll be even more impressed with the 763, when that comes out in October or November.

CurtisC

Second Unit
For 1k you get a 1k avr,no matter what the name is.I auditioned several of the avr's mentioned and found the 3803 as good as any,better than some for 1k.

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
H/K 325 is now only $600 at Circuit City (dropped from $800). I'm sure you can find it for under 500 on ebay. It has 7.1 with component switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks