What's new

The best speaker for home theater for $0 - 10000? (1 Viewer)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Just get a hold of Erik or let me know and I'll come and get you... mornings are better if you have any off...
Miles
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
I agree Martin Logans are excellent speakers, as well as many others mentioned in this thread.

Alan Markow

Agent
I had no idea that the Meridian's were that expensive ($45K per pair). Of course, the pair includes a powerful, high quality amplifier inside each unit, so that brings the price down to simply outrageous vs. obscene. But they did sound good. I suppose they'll remain my dream speakers as opposed to my real ones.
Alan

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Alan,
Actually, :) there are eight amplifiers in each 8000 and the speakers are software upgradeable. With a pair of Meridian digital speakers all you need is a CD player with a digital output. You can forget the rack and all the accompanying equipment that is needed for an analog setup. Regards.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I agree Martin Logans are excellent speakers, as well as many others mentioned in this thread.
I love Martin Logans, however your going to half to get pretty close to that $10,000 if you want good dynamics, and control out of them.
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Bill Lucas,
That was me who posted the vote for the Revels and I soooooooooooooo agree with ya on the poor performance of the C30!! I would be looking to buy a used Ultima Voice to complete the system!! Is it me or are there VERY few speaker manufacturers who make a quality center to match their excellent mains? IMO B&W is the biggest culprit!! The Nautilus series is AWESOME but that $2k center is HORRIBLE!!! So not worthy of the B&W name!! MY $200.00 Cambridge Soundworks sounds better to my ears!! (Oh there I go starting a war!..lol)..Just me venting! I think the BEST speaker maker to make a great center is Aerial Acoustics! The CC3 sounds just as good as the mains!
Mike

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The M&K 150 series speakers have a center speaker that match the "mains" because it is exactly the same speaker, but slightly tilted (if you order that configuration) to accommodate placing it either below or above the viewing area. I use the former now that I have a 110" projector screen and used to use the latter when my RPM what my main monitor.
To me it is absolutely essential to have three identical speakers (or identically performing ones) across the from soundstage when viewing movies. It really shortchanges things (especially the dialogue) when you spend a sizable amount of money on the L & R speakers and then prop up a less than adequate transducer at center stage. For most of the time the main speakers are sitting there underutilized while the weakest link tries to carry the soundtrack.
My 2 cents.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Mike,
Dynaudio's center speaker are voiced very well to tonally match the accompanying series speakers but overall I agree with RAF. The best front soundstage is three indetical speakers. Even then you will not have perfect tonal match due to different placement issues (i.e., center channel on the TV or in a cabinet).

Danish

Auditioning
I chose a Martin Logan HT system - SL3 in front, Logos center, and Magnepan SS1 for surrounds until I get some extra cash - had to buy an engagement ring a couple weeks ago - ouch! Would like to move the SL3 to the rear and get some Ascents or Odysseys in the front.
Instead of leaving it like that, I'll try to explain WHY I chose them. I think the soundstage and clarity they have are incredible, I can hear every detail in a seamless wall of sound, whether it be on movies or music. Yes, they are a little harder to position due to the bipolar nature, but a little patience is all that's required.
On another note, I've heard an all Nautilus theater with 802s and the bigger center in front, 805s in the rear, and the big $3k sub. It was also very impressive, in fact, I used to own a pair of 802s. The price point of the Nautilus theater, however, is much greater than my ML theater - I actually still prefer the MLs.
Another good setup is the Monitor Audio. I've heard a really good system involving a set of the silvers, an Anthem AVM2, and Audio Refinement amplification.
My system:
Fronts - ML SL3
Center - ML Logos
Surrounds - Magnepan SS1
Processor - Classe SSP25
Amp for front - Audio Refinement Multi 3
Amp for surrounds - Marantz THX monoblocks
Subwoofer - SVS 16-46CS w/ Samson 700 amp
DVD - JVC X501 (soon to go also)
Speaker cable - Goertz MI3 and AQ Argent+
ICs - Homemade silver ICs based on Chris VH recipe

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Have you listened to the 250's?
What do you think?
Henry,
I'm going to try to listen to them when in L.A. with the HTF meet this month if I can free up some time. They cost more, but some people say they also do more. My 150's (+ 350 Sub along with an SVS 16-46PC Sub) are fine for my environment. Anything more would be overkill for me.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Nathan Ivey

Auditioning
I have Martin Logan Odysseys and I'm not going to say there the best but they are in the top 10 IMO.
For me with my tube pre-amp and humble 350 watt solid state amp (acurus a200) feed by the Sony 333 SACD player I'm very
happy.
I will say that the Martin Logans are very Forward sounding and if they aren't paired with the right equipment some people may find them harsh. Placement is more difficult and room treatments are critical. If you're willing to try and solve the puzzle you may end up with more than you'd expected this is my case and I'm still working on the room treatments.
I was told by several people that I should focus on room treatments before upgrading my pre-amp. I ignored them and bought the Rogue 99 Magnum tube pre-amp. This has completely changed the sound of my system. I was a tube critic in the past I always thought it was BS but now I'm a convert.
I know the question was whats the best ht speaker, well lets just say if a speaker can perform well on music everything else falls in place. I haven't added a single room treatment yet and my room is not very big but the sound I have is close to what I wan't.
Now to address the room and maybe get a better power amp. I guess I'll vote for Martin Logan, and will second Steve because I've noticed he's done some serious listening and owning of speakers.
Try out the new Aeons and you may be shocked. I'd suggest getting electronics that are more to the warm side if you have the ML's.
Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks