What's new

The banishment of Speedy Gonzalez (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Okay, I watch very little television so you'll have to forgive me for just now finding out about this. It seems that the Cartoon Network is refusing to air any Speedy Gonzalez cartoons using the excuse that he is a racist stereotype of Mexicans. Huh? I'm half-hispanic myself and have never thought of Speedy as that! In fact, he's my favorite of all the Looney Tunes characters! I hear that many fans, Mexicans included, are lobbying the Cartoon Network to return ol' Speedy to the air. Good for them! I understand the need to be sensitive to the feelings of others, but it really does get ridiculous sometimes. Any thoughts on this?
Please be considerate with your replies. :)

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I completely agree with you. If the networks started pulling everything that maybe mildly offensive off the air, we'd have nothing left to watch.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Your kidding right!? :confused: My goodness gracious, what's next!?
If I allowed myself to be influenced by cartoons, I would have bought everything I own from ACME, and tried to catapult myself everywhere I went, and jumped off of cliffs, suspended for a second before falling, and getting right back up again.
These people really think that we are a bunch of children don't they!? :rolleyes

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Has anyone actually confirmed this? I've heard it over and over on the 'net but I have yet to hear any proof. Just wondering. Half-truths have a way of making their way around the web very quickly.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I think that long ago they also changed The Tiajuana Toads from having a Mexican accent to a Hillybilly accent. I loved the toads and had the same concerns about the sillyness of the politically correct crowd.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I didn't find out about this on the web - I heard about it on the radio. Apparently, the Cartoon Network is the only television station in the U.S. that has the rights to air Looney Tunes cartoons. Still, can any Cartoon Network junkies confirm this?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
This seems to be a message from Cartoon Network themselves.
Link Removed
And here is an article from the Chicago Sun-Times.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-speedy03.html
Interstingly enough, I couldn't find any information about the decision on Cartoon Network's website. In fact, I couldn't find any mention of him whatsoever, not even on their "character copyright" page.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
From FOX News:

"But there is a place where Speedy can still be found regularly zipping across TV screens — and, presumably, where the crude stereotypes he embodies don't touch a cultural nerve.

That place: The Cartoon Network Latin America, where, ironically enough, Speedy Gonzales is "hugely popular," (Cartoon Network spokesperson) Goldberg said."

So why is Speedy not deemed offensive in Latin America?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Leila, thanks for the links.
"He has a group of other mice that are known as the borrachos, who drink, and most of them smoke," Goldberg said. "We would be offending a lot of people if we are showing a cartoon with characters that drink and smoke."
Wouldn't offend me - she just described my (non-Mexican, BTW) friends! :D

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
So why is Speedy not deemed offensive in Latin America?
Because Speedy isn't offensive to Hispanics. He probably pissed off some stupid special interest group made up of white (insert derogatory political term here) who lobbied the network to remove him.

It's funny that white American groups always seem to be the ones responsible for walking on glass around minorities. All of the minorities I know appreciate their heritage and want to be treated as equals. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Hispanic person who is really offended by Speedy. Really, how many Americans are offended at the whole "white trash redneck hillbilly" attitude? Personally, I find it hilarious. Makes me want to go buy a couple dozen huntin' dawgs and stick 'em under a rickety deck attached to my mobile home in Arkansas. Then I'll sit out there all day with a case of bud in one hand and a rifle in the other just so I can meet the stereotypical standards.

All kidding aside, nobody should be offended at stereotypes as long as they're all in good fun... Oh, I forgot, we're not allowed to have fun in America anymore... might offend somebody...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that white American groups always seem to be the ones responsible for walking on glass around minorities. All of the minorities I know appreciate their heritage and want to be treated as equals. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Hispanic person who is really offended by Speedy. Really, how many Americans are offended at the whole "white trash redneck hillbilly" attitude? Personally, I find it hilarious. Makes me want to go buy a couple dozen huntin' dawgs and stick 'em under a rickety deck attached to my mobile home in Arkansas. Then I'll sit out there all day with a case of bud in one hand and a rifle in the other just so I can meet the stereotypical standards.
This thread is going downhill.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Slowpoke Rodriguez?? Maybe it's because "He carries a gun".

When Sylvester picks him up, Slowpoke reaches in his shirt and takes out a large pistol.

Maybe they should replace Elmer's shotgun with a cel phone?

When Warner gives us those Looney Tune collections (uncut) I won't give two shakes about what Cartoon Network chooses to air or not to air.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Im afraid the "Frito bandito" suffered the same fate some years ago.

I believe it was indeed a "hispanic sensitivity" group that applied the pressure to remove the bandito....and speedy.

Aye yai yai yai, I am the Frito bandito

I like Frito's corn chips I love them I do

I want Frito's corn corn chip, I steal them from you.

Mike

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I remember about 10 years ago I was on vacation with a brother and friend in England. For kicks on a down evening we rented a Speedy Gonzales collection. Imagine my surprise when the little Mexican song he was singing ended with the words, perfectly articulated, "marijuanna par fumar" (translated: marijuanna for to smoke). I think we rewound that song about 10 times, not believing it. I'd love to sample that now, and I hoipe we get it uncut on DVD someday.
I wonder if Quick Draw McGraw's little sidekick Babalouie suffers a similar fate. I always loved Quick Draw and Babalouie. Of course Quick Draw, the texas horse was the moron and Babalouie was the brains of the outfit. Someone's sure to be offended because he has a Mexican accent though.:thumbsdown:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
The Sun Times article says it all: Hispanic people want Speedy because he is considered a winner. They do NOT consider him offensive. The Cartoon Network, on the other hand, will show whichever cartoons generate the most viewers and Speedy apparently isn't getting the ratings.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Cartoon Network, on the other hand, will show whichever cartoons generate the most viewers and Speedy apparently isn't getting the ratings.
That may or may not be true. Which Looney Tunes cartoons are they showing? It's hard to believe that Speedy is less popular than characters like Foghorn Leghorn and Elmer Fudd. Yeesh! Viva Speedy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks