What's new

Pre-Order The Anne Bancroft Video Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
11069_tn.jpg

Don't Bother to Knock (1952), The Miracle Worker (1962), The Pumpkin Eater (1964), The Graduate (1967), Fatso (1980), To Be or Not to Be (1983), Agnes of God (1985), 84 Charing Cross Road (1987)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wow! This collection contains all of the performances that earned Anne Oscar nominations (and her one win) apart from The Turning Point. She also won BAFTAs for 84 Charing Cross Road and The Pumpkin Eater, the latter of which also won her the Cannes Best Actress prize.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The Pumpkin Eater is my favorite and three titles I already have on Blu-ray but I might buy this if it goes on sale at a lower price.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Wow! This collection contains all of the performances that earned Anne Oscar nominations (and her one win) apart from The Turning Point. She also won BAFTAs for 84 Charing Cross Road and The Pumpkin Eater, the latter of which also won her the Cannes Best Actress prize.
We’ll never ever see THE TURNING POINT. FOX doesn’t want it released. EVER.

I wonder, are these new transfers? As I recall, Mr. Harris wasn’t to thrilled with THE MIRACLE WORKER.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I wonder, are these new transfers? As I recall, Mr. Harris wasn’t to thrilled with THE MIRACLE WORKER.
Why doesn't Fox want "The Turning Point" released? Furthermore, it's now Disney's decision to release titles in the future.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I wasn't thrilled with it either. As usual, MGM had done very little in the way of clean-up for their HD master.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Why doesn't Fox want "The Turning Point" released? Furthermore, it's now Disney's decision to release titles in the future.
I’m just being over-dramatic, but it was only released by Anchor Bay (not even FOX themselves) years ago and only for a short time. Never been released again.

You think SOMEONE would have released it by now. (In North America.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SHOUT! FACTORY CELEBRATES
THE DAZZLING ANNE BANCROFT
ON DECEMBER 10, 2019 WITH
THE ANNE BANCROFT COLLECTION

0d7a2fbc-a86f-45f8-9ad2-eee6872983a4.jpg

Los Angeles, CA – Celebrate the extraordinary film career of actress/writer/director Anne Bancroft in the first-ever collection of her most iconic performances, The Anne Bancroft Collection, on Blu-ray™ December 10th from Shout! Factory. From Annie Sullivan to Mrs. Robinson, and from Helene Hanff to Anna Bronski, this Oscar®-winning* and profoundly versatile actress delivered some of the most poignant and sharply comic characters in modern film.

The collection, curated by Bancroft’s husband, the inimitable writer/director/producer Mel Brooks, includes the films Don’t Bother To Knock(1952), The Miracle Worker (1962), The Pumpkin Eater (1964), The Graduate(1967), Fatso (1980), To Be Or Not To Be (1983), and for the first time on Blu-ray™, Agnes Of God (1985), and 84 Charing Cross Road (1987). Beautifully packaged with a wealth of bonus features, The Anne Bancroft Collection also includes a new 20-page booklet with an essay by film writer Alicia Malone, that delves into Bancroft’s childhood, early career, and her most profound work.
Born in the Bronx as Anna Maria Louisa Italiano on September 17, 1931, she had an early flair for entertaining a crowd. Taking the stage name Anne Bancroft, she made her silver screen debut in 1952 alongside Richard Widmark and Marilyn Monroe in Don’t Bother To Knock, earning praise for her turn as a lounge singer.

In 1962, after playing Helen Keller’s beloved teacher Annie Sullivan on stage, Bancroft reprised her role on film, winning the Oscar® for Best Lead Actress.* This was Bancroft’s first Oscar® nomination out of five, and would be her only win, although she would also garner three BAFTAs, two Tony Awards and two Emmys during her career.
It was around this time when Anne Bancroft met her future husband Mel Brooks, whom she would marry in 1964. In 1967, at the age of 35, she appeared on the big screen as the sultry Mrs. Robinson, across from Dustin Hoffman. The Graduate was her first bona fide box office hit, and the now-iconic role won Anne Bancroft a third Academy Award® nomination.* She then appeared in the Jack Clayton-directed The Pumpkin Eater, in which she played a depressed housewife and earned the film’s only Academy Award®nomination*.

In 1980, when female directors were very scarce, just 16 in the years between 1967 and 1980, Bancroft wrote and directed her first feature film, Fatso. A heartwarming comedy about a man caught between his health and his appetite, starring Dom DeLuise, Fatso was produced by Brooksfilms, the production company owned by Mel Brooks, who had been looking to produce movies that were a breed apart from his signature comedies.

After taking some time off to raise her young son, Max Brooks, Bancroft decided to tackle a wide range of genres and characters. There was the hilarious WWII themed To Be Or Not To Be with Mel Brooks, Agnes Of God in which she played a Mother Superior across from Jane Fonda and Meg Tilly, and 84 Charing Cross Road, in which Bancroft played Helene Hanff, a New York writer who becomes pen pals with a London bookseller.

An overdue tribute to a trailblazing artist, The Anne Bancroft Collection houses all of these films, paying homage to one of the greatest talents of her generation.

The Anne Bancroft Collection Bonus Features

Don’t Bother to Knock
  • Isolated Music Score (DTS-HD Mono)
  • Theatrical Trailer

The Pumpkin Eater
  • “Jeremy Mortimer on Penelope Mortimer”
  • “Dinah and Fergus”

The Graduate
  • Audio Commentary From 2007 Featuring Director Mike Nichols In Conversation With Filmmaker Steven Soderbergh
  • Audio Commentary From 1987 Featuring Film Scholar Howard Suber
  • Interview From 2015 With Actor Dustin Hoffman
  • Conversation From 2015 Between Producer Lawrence Turman And Screenwriter Buck Henry
  • Interview With Film Writer And Historian Bobbie O’Steen About Editor Sam O’Steen’s Work On The Graduate
  • Students Of The Graduate, A Short Documentary From 2007 On The Film’s Influence
  • The Graduate At 25, A 1992 Featurette On The Making Of The Film Featuring Interviews With Actors Dustin Hoffman And Katharine Ross, Producer Lawrence Turman, And Screenwriter Buck Henry
  • Interview With Mike Nichols By Barbara Walters, From A 1966 Episode Of NBC’s Today Show
  • Excerpt From A 1970 Appearance By Singer-Songwriter Paul Simon On The Dick Cavett Show
  • Screen Tests: Tony Bill And Jennifer Leak, Robert Lipton And Cathy Carpenter, Dustin Hoffman And Katharine Ross
  • Trailer

Fatso
  • Looking Back On Fatso With Producers Stuart Cornfeld And Mel Brooks
  • Interview With Film Historian Maya Montañez Smukler
  • Image Gallery
  • Press Kit

To Be Or Not To Be
  • “Brooks and Bancroft: A Perfect Pair”
  • “How Serious Can Mel Brooks Really Get?”
  • Profiles
  • To Be Or Not To Be: That Is The Trivia!
  • Mel Brooks Trailers
  • Trailers
  • Isolated Score Track (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1)

*1962: Best Actress in a Leading Role, The Miracle Worker; 1964: Best Actress in a Leading Role, The Pumpkin Eater (nominated); 1967: Best Actress in a Leading Role, The Graduate (nominated); 1977: Best Actress in a Leading Role, The Turning Point (nominated); 1985: Best Actress in a Leading Role, Agnes Of God (nominated)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The Turning Point is viewed as a bit of an embarrassment by some within Fox, as it received mixed reviews, 11 Oscar nods, and was completely shut out of the awards in 1978. That being said, the film is 42 years old and probably due for a reappraisal.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Shout!
Please put out "The Pumpkin Eater" as a stand-alone;
as I already own the others of worthy importance.
Other than that, though, its a great set.:thumbs-up-smiley:
The Turning Point is viewed as a bit of an embarrassment by some within Fox, as it received mixed reviews, 11 Oscar nods, and was completely shut out of the awards in 1978. That being said, the film is 42 years old and probably due for a reappraisal.
Taking your word upon this, one has to wonder why on earth any studio would be embarrassed to have one of their films nominated for a whopping 11 Academy Awards. Adding to this, 20th Century-Fox also had "Star Wars" and "Julia" up for Best Picture. That's 3 of their films taking up 5 of the Best Picture slots for 1977. "Star Wars" received 10 nominations, 6 wins and 1 honorary. "Julia" received 11 nominations and 3 wins. Two Fox films are bound to cancel out the other within the voting tally; not to mention the likely inner studio campaigning that most assuredly took place. And then one has to factor in the other two films, which were "Annie Hall" and "The Goodbye Girl".

Just for the star power and duel Best Actress nominations for Anne Bancroft and Shirley MacLaine, alone, should be enough justification for releasing "The Turning Point" on Blu. Truly, there's not a smidgen of a thing wrong with "The Turning Point"; but for the exception of our not being able to own it. Glad to know that Stephen J H is among the supporters for this fine film.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I thought they might see it as an embarrassment. It is WAY OVERDUE for a reappraisal.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I really like The Turning Point. Anne gives a great performance as does Shirley MacLaine. I never realized Fox thought of it as an embarrassment, Oscars notwithstanding. Some great ballet footage as well. It felt like an important movie to me at the time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The film was a box-office hit, so I doubt it aroused any great embarrassment. It may be seen now as soap opera-ish, but with that fantastic dancing on display, there is nothing at all embarrassing about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film was a box-office hit, so I doubt it aroused any great embarrassment. It may be seen now as soap opera-ish, but with that fantastic dancing on display, there is nothing at all embarrassing about it.
I'm not buying that embarrassment angle as to why "The Turning Point" hasn't been released on BD. For one thing, the movie came out 40 years ago. Who was at Fox in a high management position then that would still be embarrassed and in power to prevent a Blu-ray release so many years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks