What's new

The Animatrix thoughts? (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ok I picked it up at Wal-Mart for 22.63, but I think I will return it. It doesn't really sound like it's worth the cost. I'll pay the $5 and rent the darn thing. I hate it when I impulse buy.

I would rather spend the $$$ on About Shmidt

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I loved Matriculated, they saved the best for last, fantastic animation and the odd one out of the lot. I'm a huge fan of Aeon Flux (where are the DVD's dammit!?) and knew from the first few shots that it was the guy who did Aeon. Weird stylish and trippy! :emoji_thumbsup:
In order of preference...

1)Matriculated
2)Second Renaissance 1-2 (superb)
3)Final Flight of the Osiris (fabulous CGI)
4)Program
5)Kid's Story
6)Detective Story
7)Beyond
8)World Record

9 mini posters?????? Didn't know there was such a thing.
yeah, the store where I bought it from, www.cnl.com , were giving away free mini posters to the first few in-store buyers today. I was expecting (and actually hoping) to get an Osiris poster similar to the Aki Ross bikini poster that I got with the Final Fantasy DVD. :) Unfortunately, it wasn't but I was surprised to get 9 instead based on each short. They look great and can't wait to put them on my wall. They also gave away 9 smaller 4"x6" cards. You can see pictures of them at the Animatrix website. Just click on each episode and click on the Card link.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Man, I guess I missed out on both the the Animatrix and the Final Fantasy DVD posters. :frowning:

Final Flight of the Osiris was amazing. It's the only segment I've seen so far, but I watched it 3 times.

-Dave

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I don't really like the Aeon Flux feel, but I do enjoy watching these kinds of shorts once in a while. I just don't get into them because I can't afford to get into them. Although they are not comparable to the movies, they're still something cool to watch once in a while, plus some of them have some neat info in them. I'll probably watch them all again, but some of them only to see if I can understand it better. Here's how I'd rate them:

1. Beyond: Was this animated people drawn on real streets and in real buildings? It sure seemed like it! Plus a really cool concept.
2. Program: Great fight scenes. Anymore, I will not say, watch it and find out.
3. Second Renaissance 1-2: all your pre-matrix questions are answered here.
4. Final Flight of the Osiris: Pretty cool, awesome fight scene, super realistic CGI, and it ties in with the movie. But I have a thing against anime being "sexy." It's bad enough when they do it in the Movies.
5. Kid's Story: How did Neo "save" him? Or did he really save himself?
6. Detective Story: Good Story, definitely too short though.
7. Matriculated: I think I liked it, but I didn't really understand how they did what they did, or what happened at the end.
8. World Record: So-so. Might watch one more time to try to see if something else is going on in it. Can anyone give me a hand here?

The ones I liked a lot, I wish they were a bit longer so you get a better feeling for the characters, but I guess shorts can't be too long. And my other main objection to anime came into play which is that some of the shorts seemed to end when the story was not over by any means. I've been told that this is because people in the U.S. like to have more of a closing for their films though, so maybe I fit into this cateogory of people a bit.

Overall, definitely worth the US$10.70 I paid, I thought I was going to be paying $15, but found out it was on sale when I got to the register.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed every minute of it. The great thing about the collection is that it is comprised of such a wide variety of styles masterminded by a handful of top-rated anime producers.

Many of them are dense with details visually and aurally. I look forward to re-viewing them to capture such details missed the first time around.

I'm glad I opted for the gift set. The soundtrack is the perfect companion to the dvd for music lovers such as myself.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Loved it. It's almost a no-brainer to plunk down the extra 4 or so bucks to get the cd/dvd set for 19.99 instead of just the dvd if you like techno.

The music's great but if you hate techno obviously just go for the dvd alone.

I see myself watching this many times and showing it to several friends of mine so that's why I purchased it. At least give it a rent.

Howie A

Second Unit
The hole package was very good. What was with that
cheesy iron on animatrix patch that came with it though?

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I watched The Final Flight of the Osiris last night, and that was one stunning piece of CGI animation! The characters looked very photo-realistic at times, and the effects action looked like it could have come right out of The Matrix itself. The only problem I have with it, though, is the ending. No spoilers revealed here for anyone who has not seen it, but it just had a very flat end to it, at least that's what it came off like to me, no real conclusion to it at all.

EdR

Second Unit
but it just had a very flat end to it, at least that's what it came off like to me
Overall I loved this disc, every one of the shorts was intriguing, raising questions and settling others.

And the quiality of the transfer is absolutely top-notch.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The video game picks up right where Osiris leaves off.

I didn't like the animation style on world record (those agents were odd looking), and the movement of the characters in Osiris seemed kind of unrealistic. They need to work on a better skeletal/musculature model, or something.

The Second Renaissance parts 1 and 2 is arguably the centerpiece of the disc. The rest of it is okay, I particularly enjoyed matriculated. It played to some thoughts I had when watching the part of Reloaded where Neo and the councilman had a chat on the engineering level.

Sean Frost

Stunt Coordinator
I've already seen 4 of the shorts online at the matrix site, so I don't know if it's worth $15 for 4 more shorts in a snapper case. The Second Renaissance Parts 1 and 2 were great though.

Jose Robles

Agent
Up here in Canada, I noticed that Future Shop's website says that you can get a mail-in free movie ticket to The Matrix Reloaded. I ended up purchasing my copy at HMV and was disappointed to find that it included no such mail-in offer. Is this something unique to Future Shop only?

BTW, I got the DVD version only.

Jose

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I believe you get a mail-in movie ticket offer to see Matrix Reloaded if you purchase the Matrix dvd now, not Animatrix. At least that was my understanding. I notice a lot of EE unfortunately, but the transfer still looks nice. The EE reminds me a bit of the Castle In The Sky dvd release with it around each and every part of the character's face and showing prominently around the character's mouth making it look like they have a mustache.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm only a so-so fan of the Matrix movies (haven't seen reloaded yet), but I bought this yesterday anyway because I love animation. I really got into Beyond & Detective's Story. As short as they are I thought they were worth the price alone.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I've really enjoyed this compilation of short films. Just remember that short films are often more like poems than novels. More emphasis is given to imagery and themes that complex plot. I feel the Matrix world is now far deeper and richer for having viewed these short films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks