What's new

The Animatrix thoughts? (1 Viewer)

chrisMCG

Agent
Hey folks, I've picked up the Animatrix and by far this is one of the coolest collection of shorts I've ever seen. I've got a review online here, but the long and the short of it is pick this sucker up!

Anyone else check this out yet?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'm not an anime fan by any stretch, in fact I generally can't stand it, but if I can find this for $15 tomorrow I'm buying it...otherwise I will rent it...either way I will be viewing it tomorrow. I'm on a Matrix kick, and some of the shorts sound great.

Eric F

Screenwriter
It's really, really good. If you're deep into The Matrix, The Second Renaissance should answer lots of questions for you. It's the best part of the disk with a few other excellent shorts, some OK, and 2 just so-so.

I went into the movie having already seen it, and I was a step ahead. Still, it's a pretty unique experience, and worth owning just because it's the first of its kind.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Some theaters were giving out 5 dollar off coupons towards this disc at Best Buy with purchased tickets for Reloaded. I'll be getting it for $9.99 then...that's if there's no "wait till regular sales price for coupon discount" loopholes.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Geez it's going to be like $30 in Canada :frowning: If it's $22 I'll pick it up, comes with a CD as well.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
James, Amazon.ca has it listed at $20.99 CDN or $26.59 CDN with the CD. Future Shop.ca has it going for $22.99/$27.99 I believe. I'll probably take a trip by Wal-Mart in the morning. I'm not really that interested in the CD so I'll just see about the regular one.

Jonny K

Second Unit
I checked it out. I'd say rent it, not buy it. Some of the shorts are pretty cool, but I can't see myself going back and re-watching them over and over.

Also, you can check out a few of them here (if you didn't know)

http://www.intothematrix.com/

Jonny K.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I bought it, and after watching it, I kinda wish that I hadn't.

I thought that Program was cool, and I had seen Final Flight of the Osiris attached to Dreamcatcher. I thought that Detective's Story was good also. But other than those 3, I thought that the rest ranged from "not good" to "utter crap."

It's nice to see these shorts to enhance your knowledge of what's going on in the trilogy (somewhat), but I think this disk is a much better rental than a purchase.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think it all comes down to how much you like Anime and how much you like THE MATRIX. If you're a big fan of either or both, then by all means purchase it. If you are a marginal fan of either, then rent it. If you can't stand either, then it's not for you. Yes, it's uneven, but even the worst segments are a hoot.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to watch this DVD last week. Overall, I was VERY impressed! The audio/visuals were top notch...

my individual impressions...

The Second Renaissance> Both parts were excellent! It was great seeing the 'history' of what made man and machine clash. I loved the 'visual references' including that Vietnam 'execution' and the Tienamen Square (sp?)

Final Flight of the Osiris> Very good. Loved it in front of Dreamcatcher on the big screen and loved it here.

Kid's Story> I thought this was ok. The animation here definitely sets itself apart from the rest of the shorts.

Program> Not bad. Not much of a story here. The animation was great...the early visuals w/ her riding on the horse deflecting the burning arrows was great. Also loved how the slain warriors 'dissolved' into the matrix code.

World Record> Very stylish animation, but i found the story to be kinda blah. Wasn't impressed as much here

Beyond> LOVED this short!!! Very simple story, yet i thought it was handled beautifully. Neat idea that 'haunted houses' are locations where the matrix has glitched. Loved the fact that the kids were just fooling around w/ the glitches.

Detective Story> Loved the crime noir feel of this. Almost felt like 'Brazil'. Would have been nice if the story was more tense, but this still was effective I thought.

Matriculated> I need to watch this one more. After my first viewing I really didn't get alot out of this one. Maybe since I knew this was done by the Aeon Flux creator, I was thinking it was going to be a little different. I will have to give this one more time.

Anyhoo, those are my thoughts...

~Jason

Eric F

Screenwriter
Question about Kid's Story- Is this about the kid in Zion who idolizes Neo? Much of what Neo said to him in Reloaded matches up to what happened in Kid's Story.

ChrisChap

Stunt Coordinator
FYI - BB does honor the $5 off coupon on top of the $14.99 sale price, so I just got mine for $9.99 there.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Question about Kid's Story- Is this about the kid in Zion who idolizes Neo?
Yep. And according to the featurette on 'Kid's Story' they used the actual actor as the reference for much of the animation in this episode (which looks fab). 'Matriculated' is by far the dodgiest of the shorts IMO, but even then there's a certain style to it. I just wish it had a bit more substance.

Lane_S

Agent
Rushed over to Best Buy, came back to work, closed my door and watched 3 shorts and the history of anime extra as I ate lunch.

Loved what I saw and can't wait to see it all tonight in glorius 5.1. Well worth spending $15 for if you are interested in the world of the Matrix, animation, or like me - both.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm pretty excited about going through The Animatrix. Is there a certain kind of continuity to each of the films, watching the films in a particular order?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It's only 14.99 at Target...I was thrifty today, and only picked up T2 and Die Another Day, but after renting Animatrix, I'll definitely be picking it up in the near future. I dunno if it is worth $20, but definitely $15, and considering the local Hollywood Video got literally 30+ copies (and my town isn't that big), you should be able to find it previously viewed for around $10 in a couple of weeks (not to mention in a keepcase with a good insert instead of a garbage snapper).

Highly recommended for Matrix fans. I really enjoyed the two-part The Second Renaissance. Final Flight of the Osiris is total fluff, but good eye candy. "Beyond" is a really neat little side story, and while Kid's Story isn't all that enthralling, the animation style is quite cool. Haven't watched the rest yet. The anime documentary is really quite good, except for the first few minutes, which falsely makes you think it's just going to be Joel Silver and other anime directors babbling over how great The Matrix is.

A great disc, and this is coming from someone who generally can't stand anime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks