What's new

The Amazing Race 23 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
If there's an existing topic I can't find it.

Interesting start to the race with at least two teams making crucial errors (tho the latter is arguable) if it really mattered. Unusual in the opening leg.

I only have two team comments at this point - the AfganAnimals put me straight off them in their intro package with their dancing around like fools. But when they started their... 'call' they went straight to the top of my hate list. It's worse than 'Twinnie!!'

And the father going on about arranging a marriage for his daughter...

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
The Afgananimals reminded me of the "Two Wild and Crazy Guys" that Steve Martin and Dan Aykroid use to do on SNL.

David DeJesus, the husband of baseball wife Kim doesn't play for the Cubs anymore. He was traded over the summer for prospects. They filmed their intro at Wrigly Field. She was quite the media and twitter darling durin his time with the Cubs.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Teams I liked after one episode

The Indian father and daughter (oh, well..)
The Oklahoma oil workers (I get a nice Cord and Jet vibe from them)
The football players (they seem to be having a great time)
The overachiever dating couple (forget the names- guy was great in the rowboat and the girl was very cute)
The hockey blondes

Teams I don't like after one episode

The Afghanimals (loud and annoying - Paul is right, they're worse than the Twinnies)
The bickersons (I think a lot of their fighting is just for the cameras)

Not sure about the rest yet.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof2 said:
The overachiever dating couple (forget the names- guy was great in the rowboat and the girl was very cute)
If they're the same people I'm thinking of, it's Jason and Amy.

Might bicker a bit, but if the timing with catching planes, trains, etc. works out, I see them as the winners. It always seems to be those issues that either lump everybody back into a group. or allow a really good headstart for others.

Can't believe the "doctors" misread the instructions and lost the express passes. I just got paperwork to prepare for my "colonoscopy"
which I don't need for almost nine years. I'm scheduled for a totally different procedure. Always double-check your doctor and make sure they're doing what's expected.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I finally got around to watching the premiere, as I was out of town, plus choosing to watch the "Breaking Bad" series finale on Sunday instead.
In any event, I'm glad to see this show back, though I thought the episode could have spent less time at LAX, and more time in Iquique, Chile. Though, Iquique did not look like an interesting place to visit, even less so than the western town that they started in. And when compared to its neighbors, Chile does not seem interesting.I like how the 1st Roadblock had that classic twist, that the one performing it, is the one not doing it. And this time, it had an impact on who did the 2nd one in more ways than one. Basically, this was one of those Bizarro Roadblocks. And it was surprising to see quite a few racers knowing Spanish, as the language barrier did not seem to be much of an issue this time around. A lot of sports related teams in the race, with the NFL players, hockey girls, and the baseball wives, along with a lot of eye candy. I thought Naina was the most attractive, as she seemed to have so much natural beauty to her. Only problem with her, is that Daddy is watching. Sucks that we will only see her for one leg. I would have definitely liked her, as she seemed like such a sweet girl. Hoskote, not so much! Still, it sucks to be first one eliminated, and made even worse due to a bad cab driver, who decided to take the "scenic" route.
Paul D G said:
I only have two team comments at this point - the AfganAnimals put me straight off them in their intro package with their dancing around like fools. But when they started their... 'call' they went straight to the top of my hate list. It's worse than 'Twinnie!!'
I'm with you and others on the AfganAnimals. Their intro was a major turnoff, and seeing the way they acted from the start, I was like.. "oh boy, this team will be driving me nuts". I did like it when one of them makes a sexist comment, then be basically told by one of the female racers that he read the clue wrong.
Mark_B said:
David DeJesus, the husband of baseball wife Kim doesn't play for the Cubs anymore. He was traded over the summer for prospects. They filmed their intro at Wrigly Field. She was quite the media and twitter darling durin his time with the Cubs.
Now playing for the playoff bound Rays. I guess the wives became friends when their husbands were teammates with the Royals, as I noticed Nicky wearing a Royals shirt. :)
DaveHof2 said:
The bickersons (I think a lot of their fighting is just for the cameras)
I wonder the same thing as well, with the way Marie says that this is the way they will thrive in the race. But they still give the vibe of being the worst kind of team to watch, as they will not only be nasty to each other, but to other teams as well. Like when Marie stole a cab that Jamal called for.
Stan said:
Can't believe the "doctors" misread the instructions and lost the express passes.
I knew they were in trouble when taking the cab, and when they got the penalty, I was like.. "please don't let it be bickering exes". And next thing you know, it was the exes winning the Express Passes.
Next week looks like it will get a Chile-y reception. :P

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
This episode was more interesting, and not just because the race went to a more interesting place in Santiago, which looked more nicer than Iquique. Though, there was one part in the Iquique portion that was nice to look at, and that was mainly due to the teams that chose Brining at the Detour. Lucky for the male viewers, both female teams chose the Brining task, as well as that team with Amy. :)Also... "there's was a team that got eliminated, and Bingo was their name-o!" :P That team pretty much sealed their own fate by making every possible mistake in the race. They have no one else to blame but themselves, as much as they like to blame the "devil". And hearing one of them say, "I don't want to talk, you're using my air", makes me not feel sorry for them. They seemed like nice guys, but the race was just too much for them.

Speaking of the "devil", it looks like we will be stuck with this team til the end. Though kind of funny how Tim agreed with the fact that Marie is the devil. And I'd say, it is an accurate description, with the way she likes to dangle that 2nd Express Pass, like holding food just out of reach from a dog or cat. All thanks to the doctors, because of their screwup in the 1st leg. Funny how Nicole told the she-devil that it was her 40th birthday, hoping for the Express Pass.
And that was really something with the AfganAnimals, seeing them blaming each other after coming in 2nd. Still, I loved the fact that their screwup cost them 1st place, and it went to a team that I like so far, the football players.

I also like Brandon & Adam, and will be rooting for them. Even if one of them slapped Phil's butt. The others, still too early to tell.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Whichever one of the other teams members coined the term "Pinky and No Brain" for Tim and Marie has my undying gratitude.

The bikini shots were particularly gratuitious this week, but I didn't mind as the views were pretty terrific. They don't give a lot of 'Amazing Race' slots to anyone with a b-cup, apparently.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Wow, this show has definitely fallen off the radar on this board.

This episode was definite call-back to the much earlier seasons, with the all the airport drama. Too bad that no map was shown, with Phil telling which teams followed which flight pattern, from Santiago to Lisbon. I did have a hard time keeping track of what teams were where, and took away time from showing Lisbon.What is one of the most important thing to remember in a race? That is to make sure you are with at least one other team, when it comes to taking flights. The Afgan-Animals actually had the right idea, when they tried to get the hockey girls and Oklahoma boys on the same flights. I know their intention was to save themselves and the girls, which was their original reason for "bringing along" Oklahoma, to be the team to be gone, should it become a 3-team race not to finish last.Sucks to see the football players eliminated the way they did, as it was one of those cases of, anything that could go wrong, did go wrong. They were one of the more likeable teams. At least they did win a prize, so they did not come away empty-handed. But they took a huge risk, and it ended up not paying off at all.Very smart move by the baseball wives, finding their own way to get on that standby list. Just have to love the look on the exes' faces, when the baseball wives got on the flight, and they got shut out. Too bad it did not lead to their elimination, though I have to wonder, if they got eliminated, what would happen to that 2nd Express Pass? You know, that Express Pass that Marie likes to dangle on a carrot stick?

The Magellan task did not look difficult, so either it was harder than it looked, or the Afgananimals and ice girls are just not very bright at all. :biggrin:

The ER docs finally won a leg, and one of those rare times, when the editing actually succeeded in their fake-outs, that it was neck-and-neck, and it was anyone's game.Next week - to the Arctic.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Tonight's episode was, for me, one of the most enjoyable in a long time. Beautiful scenery in both Norway and Gdansk, and the polka bits were hilarious. You could just feel that Oklahoma dude's mortification at not only dancing in that outfit, but then having to wear it for the rest of the leg. That apartment building was one of those curiosities that I would never have known about if not for this show, and it was fun to get a glimpse into the different apartments. The pastries looked good too. Everything about the episode was a reminder of why I enjoy this show.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
DaveHof2 said:
Tonight's episode was, for me, one of the most enjoyable in a long time. Beautiful scenery in both Norway and Gdansk, and the polka bits were hilarious. You could just feel that Oklahoma dude's mortification at not only dancing in that outfit, but then having to wear it for the rest of the leg. That apartment building was one of those curiosities that I would never have known about if not for this show, and it was fun to get a glimpse into the different apartments. The pastries looked good too. Everything about the episode was a reminder of why I enjoy this show.
Currently catching on the episodes (watching one per day), and I agree with everything you said, David.
Just sucks that Adam & Brandon were eliminated, as I just loved it when they said "we don't need your express pass". Speaking of which, have to give Nicole credit with way she got the 2nd Express Pass. And Tim & Marie using up theirs.About to watch another episode soon.

NolanJ

Second Unit
The doctors sure are hypocrites. They say they u-turned the Afghanis because they lied to them and thought they should play an "honorable game" and then in highlights for next weeks episode, they are trying to cheat off of the same Afghanis in a competition.

Hope karma bites them in the tuckus.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
After watching the Austria episode, have to say, I was disappointed that I did not get to go inside the labyrinth when I visited Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna, since it was closed and charged separate admission. It was a lot smaller than what looked on TV, and did not seem so difficult to figure out.Have to say, if this episode did not win more fans for the bunnies, I don't know what will. That was really something to see them decide not to take another team's cab, and just find their own. I hope this is good karma, and that they will end up winning the race, because that was just truly awesome of them to do that. Nice bounceback for Jason & Amy, though not very nice to tell Amy to shut up at the mat, after they were arguing with both Tim & Marie over the stolen cab.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Just watched the leg in Abu Dhabi, and I guess it was fitting that the Afganimals to win this leg. Abu Dhabi does look extremely hot, and according to Travis, a lot more so than Atlanta (which was unbearable for me).

So glad that this ended up being a non-elimination leg!

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Now I am all caught up!

So much for being saved on a non-elimination leg, as that Speed Bump did not look easy at all. Then again, this coming from someone who had a bad experience in such a pool at Wet 'n Wild, and ended up clinging onto some stranger's raft. :)

I was hoping the baseball bunnies would go all the way, but it was clear, with the U-Turn and Speed Bump, and getting stuck in the sand, that the odds were stacked against them. Now, I am trying to think if I like any of the other remaining teams, because I have a hard time picking one to root for.

Nicole & Travis - just seems so petty to U-Turn a team, because of some personal vendetta. I expected better from them.

Tim & Marie - I've seen racers with horrible sense of direction, but this team really takes the cake.

Jason & Amy - basically Tim & Marie-Lite, as hearing Amy's whining drives me almost as crazy as Marie's.

Leo & Jamal - been less annoying as the race goes on. But that's because the other teams have become more annoying. If that makes any sense!

Ally & Ashley - probably the most likeable left, but also, the least likely to win it all. They just seem to be there, and never seem to have any luck in the race. If not for the Afganimals, they would be really invisible.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter, I hope Tim and Marie go home this week. They get my nomination for most annoying team of the season.

Still rooting for Jason and Amy as the eventual winners.

Missed last week's episode due to DVR screw-ups and I was watching the latest Star Trek movie with friends, so got home to late to see it.

Brief synopsis anyone?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Stan said:
Brief synopsis anyone?
Hopefully, you got to see the episode, through the link that Peter provided. Better that way than me trying to recap it. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
CBS.com has full episodes. That's how I watch all CBS shows...just haven't gotten to last week's Race yet...

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Some random ramblings... :angry:What is one of the most important things to remember about this race... is read your clue carefully. Ally & Ashley did not do that, and just wasted way too much time running around the zoo before finally reading their clue properly. So I don't exactly feel like they got hosed in this leg. Though a part of me was hoping that it was non-elimination, as it did seem unfair what happened at the Roadblock.

Nicole & Travis - supposedly all about playing fair. Then Nicole tries to cheat. Not to mention, it was this leg where I see that Travis is a jerk. I did not see it before, mainly because my attention was more on the other teams.
Jason & Amy - Jason thinking the kind of people in Indonesia are Chinese and Indians. And major facepalm moment, is Amy staying behind and helping Nicole.

Tim & Marie - Good instinct on Marie's part on who does the Roadblock. Plus this has to be the first leg where I actually preferred another team to be eliminated over this one. At least, this team is more honest about who they are.

Leo & Jamal - Something must be seriously wrong if I find myself rooting for this team to win!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
Some random ramblings... :angry:What is one of the most important things to remember about this race... is read your clue carefully. Ally & Ashley did not do that, and just wasted way too much time running around the zoo before finally reading their clue properly. So I don't exactly feel like they got hosed in this leg. Though a part of me was hoping that it was non-elimination, as it did seem unfair what happened at the Roadblock.

Nicole & Travis - supposedly all about playing fair. Then Nicole tries to cheat. Not to mention, it was this leg where I see that Travis is a jerk. I did not see it before, mainly because my attention was more on the other teams.
Jason & Amy - Jason thinking the kind of people in Indonesia are Chinese and Indians. And major facepalm moment, is Amy staying behind and helping Nicole.

Tim & Marie - Good instinct on Marie's part on who does the Roadblock. Plus this has to be the first leg where I actually preferred another team to be eliminated over this one. At least, this team is more honest about who they are.

Leo & Jamal - Something must be seriously wrong if I find myself rooting for this team to win!
Haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I hope Jason & Amy are still going. As you mentioned, I can't believe Amy stayed behind to help Nicole. Seriously? They're competing for a huge paycheck at the end, I'm glad that they all seem to be nice and polite to each other, but you don't need to go out of your way to help another team.

I hope Nicole and Travis get dumped soon. Travis is a jerk. If I ever go to an ER and see him, I'll request another doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks