What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

John Skoda

Second Unit
Yes it looks a bit like a missed opportunity that they would not use the multichannel tracks for the long version.

Yes. There were two releases of the long version on laserdisc. The second release upgraded the sound to digital AC-3.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes. There were two releases of the long version on laserdisc. The second release upgraded the sound to digital AC-3.

I contacted Koch to praise them for the release and to suggest to them to upgrade the longer version to 1080p. I also asked them about why they had not used the 5.1 from the laserdisc. Never received an answer.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I went region free many years ago and have a few movies that are only available overseas.
I totally agree wowth you, there's nothing like the reedom ro be ale to buy ANY title you want with confidence!! For me, it was not being able to pocess the Blake 7 series in Region1/A...after waiting for decades from BBC America to release the series, I brock down and bought a multi regional BD player and never looked back!!! The Best thing I ever did!!

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
When I signed in to the Amazon.de account, it did take my regular Amazon password, no problem. Even though the exchange rate is good euros to dollars right now, however, the shipping estimate was high enough it was just as well or better to order this from an eBay seller who offered free shipping, and quicker than shipment from the EU. I’m hoping not to be disappointed in this release once I receive my Oppo region converter to allow it to play. The laserdisc (which I did transfer to a DVD-R) was generally fine looking for its time. Really appreciate the fine Dimitri Tiomkin score.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I signed in to the Amazon.de account, it did take my regular Amazon password, no problem. Even though the exchange rate is good euros to dollars right now, however, the shipping estimate was high enough it was just as well or better to order this from an eBay seller who offered free shipping, and quicker than shipment from the EU. I’m hoping not to be disappointed in this release once I receive my Oppo region converter to allow it to play. The laserdisc (which I did transfer to a DVD-R) was generally fine looking for its time. Really appreciate the fine Dimitri Tiomkin score.

I looked, but couldn;t find anything on Ebay less than $45 ($48 after my sales tax) -- just one seller so not sure if there was a differnet listing. I do see several of the inferior French listing and a bunch of an AUS bootleg.

Amazon.de I'm getting a bit under $42 with Priority Shipping which should come by the end of the week -- that would include my sales tax checking out in EURO with a zero fee CC (around $39.50 using slower shipping)

I'm just curious on prices and not really to order since I have the 1st release which cost around $50 from a nice German member who ordered it and shipped it privately. Normally I might suggest a group of 4 or 5 make a combined order to save on shipping costs, but it appears Amazon.de is limiting it to 2 units.
Waiting might hope for a lower price down the line, but since it's an exclusive and very likely a limited number I doubt it's going to drop very much before it sells out.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
...or they haven't gotten to it yet? Maybe, with all of these mergers and buyouts and of course Covids effects on the industry, they are regrouping and setting up thier production scheduling. We might see something in 1-4 years. Since the vertual stopage or at least major slowdown in phyiscal releases by the studios, is an opportunity for these titles to be released from legal outside sources.

The main thing is, as collectors of phisical formats, is to aquire the best HD quality edition we can, right?
So wether it's US, German. Japanese...buy it!! And if your stuck in the past, wanting only Region 1 discs, for Gods sake, break down and gift yourself with a desent multi-region player and stop limiting your options. Multi-regional blu ray and 4K players are very reasonable. So to yourself...be Reasonable!!
If read through pages of the old Alamo thread you will see MGM has had a 15+ year history of not wanting to restore this film and to pretend it doesn't exist anymore.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think my German Blu-ray arrives today.
I was wrong, my Blu-ray wasn't delivered today as something else came in. Right now, I don't have any idea where my Blu-ray is because the last update I got from Amazon.de was back on September 15th. I'm stuck in "missing item" purgatory.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was wrong, my Blu-ray wasn't delivered today as something else came in. Right now, I don't have any idea where my Blu-ray is because the last update I got from Amazon.de was back on September 15th. I'm stuck in "missing item" purgatory.
anytime you buy across the pond, issues increase...fingers crossed Crawdaddy!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
anytime you buy across the pond, issues increase...fingers crossed Crawdaddy!!
The latest update from Amazon.de:

Now expected 29 September - 7 October
B0B2KJSC7B

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. If you have not received your package by 7 October, you can come back here the next day for a refund.​

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

B0B2KJSC7B

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. If you have not received your package by 7 October, you can come back here the next day for a refund.​

What don't they get, wait weeks and if it gets lost....you get a refund? When all you want is the damn Blu ray or 4K???

Dave GR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the UK and received my "package" in the post on Monday - an empty Amazon cardboard mailer which had been torn open down the entirety of one side and the Alamo BD was long gone. Amazon.de are supposed to be sending a replacement, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm in the UK and received my "package" in the post on Monday - an empty Amazon cardboard mailer which had been torn open down the entirety of one side and the Alamo BD was long gone. Amazon.de are supposed to be sending a replacement, but it hasn't shipped yet.
Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Fortunately I received my disc acquired through eBay in today’s mail and in excellent shape. I haven’t installed the Oppo modification in order to play it yet. Details indicate the 202 minute version listed under “Extras” is in standard definition, as expected. I’m hoping it’s at least anamorphically enhanced rather than window boxed like the Twilight Time roadshow version of Hawaii (1966); I don’t see it specified on the (quite nice) packaging, which of course is all in German.
A7C53E80-3341-42F8-B073-2FEE01390C26.jpeg

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

I once bought a 3D lenticular movie poster of 2001: a space odyssey. Same thing, empty box. Idiot seller put in the description on the box what it was.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I once ordered a book from Library of America, and the package arrived having been torn open and taped up. I opened it to find not my book but a VHS tape of Hart’s War.🤷‍♂️

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

B0B2KJSC7B

I received the same message. The last bit tracking of tracking information is that the package was received at an Amazon facility in Krefeld in Germany on Sept. 15. I’m not feeling good about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks