What's new

The Accountant - Oct 14, 2016 (Ben Affleck) (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I were invited to an advance screening of 'The Accountant' for tonight (Monday, October 10). Kinda of fun to see a movie before reading a single review. I hope it's worth the trouble because we'll have to deal with some rush hour traffic to get there (about 20 miles away).

I'll be back with my impression/rating late tonight.

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'The Accountant' is not only the best action film I've seen this year, it's one of the best action films I've seen in the last 10 years. A gripping story that is intense, violent and supremely entertaining. I was glued to the screen from beginning to end.

Every lover of action films along the lines of Jack Reacher, James Bond, and Mission Impossible should go and see the film this weekend. Don't wait for video. Get to a theater with an awesome sound system and multiple subwoofers. There are scenes in the film where you FEEL the action thanks to some very powerful bass at certain moments. It's freakin' awesome!

The Booth Bijou gives 'The Accountant' 5 out of 5 stars!

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been looking forward to this film for a while now after seeing the first trailer. I'm happy to see it's a really good film so I'll be there on Friday.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I should clarify, although I compared the film to action staples like Reacher, Bond and Mission Impossible, 'The Accountant' definitely isn't non-stop action. The film is absolutely in the suspense/drama genres, with plenty of action thrown in.

But, for me, the action was so compelling and so well done, well, I gobbled it all up like a 7-year old tackling a 3-scoop ice cream cone on a hot summer day! The fact that it's NOT "non-stop" action makes it a better film. The suspense/drama elements were also very well done, plus a little humor thrown in too.

I found it to be a HIGHLY entertaining film from beginning to end.

Mark

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
'The Accountant' is not only the best action film I've seen this year, it's one of the best action films I've seen in the last 10 years.

I should clarify, although I compared the film to action staples like Reacher, Bond and Mission Impossible, 'The Accountant' definitely isn't non-stop action. The film is absolutely in the suspense/drama genres, with plenty of action thrown in.

I wondered about your first description, as none of the trailers seem to describe an action film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I stand by my earlier remark, it is one of the best action films of this year! The fact that it isn't non-stop action or isn't primarily an action film isn't a concern. It DOES contain a good amount of action and quite pleasingly so.

Mark

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Mark! Much appreciated. My wife and I are looking forward to seeing this over the weekend. Can never have too much JK Simmons.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the venue where we watched the film was an upscale theater in La Jolla, CA (The LOT). You know, leather recliners, tables at each seat, and in-theater food and beverage service (the servers stopped serving once the movie started). The best part was the Warner Bros. security personnel in the theater. They stood on either side of the theater (unobtrusively so) and kept on eye on the crowd to make sure nobody was shooting video of of the film. They were SERIOUS about this. One guy was using his phone to finish a text message or email just as the film started, The burly security guy closest to him told him to turn his phone off, loudly enough for everyone in the theater to hear it. The guy complied instantly. Nobody dared pull out their phone after that! :)

EVERY theater needs two of these guys at EVERY screening! A good side entertainment would be watching someone get physically thrown out of the theater by a burly security guy for using his phone during the movie. The crowd would go wild! :)

Mark

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for your thoughts, Mark! Now I'm really looking forward to this. Sounds like Jack Reacher where the action was awesome, but lots of drama/mystery in between.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It appears the critics that didn't enjoy the film are the first ones to publish their reviews. Earlier today, the Rotten Tomatoes critic score was at 24%. It has risen (at this writing) to 27%. But we are still in the early going, and I'm VERY confident the score will continue to rise. I also expect, come Monday, to see an audience score in the 80s.

This review by Chris Stuckmann nails it, in my humble opinion. He gave the film an A-.

As Chris mentions, 'The Accountant' isn't a mindless action film. It requires the viewer to pay attention and do more than just sit there with his brain on pause. THAT is one of the most attractive things about the film, it's not mindless action. This is most definitely NOT a Michael Bay film.

Mark

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
What intrigues me about this movie is that Ben Affleck's character is said to have Asperger's Syndrome, which is the same autism spectrum disorder that I have. That makes the movie fascinating to me. When most people think of autism spectrum disorders in movie characters, most people automatically think "Rain Man". I'm looking forward to seeing a different portrayal of autism on camera.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Who knows where this might lead next for portrayals on autism on screen?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, a great film!
I guess the brother surprise when they had their initial confrontation on the street.
I hope it does well at the box office because I want a sequel.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
'The Accountant' is not only the best action film I've seen this year, it's one of the best action films I've seen in the last 10 years. A gripping story that is intense, violent and supremely entertaining. I was glued to the screen from beginning to end.

Every lover of action films along the lines of Jack Reacher, James Bond, and Mission Impossible should go and see the film this weekend. Don't wait for video. Get to a theater with an awesome sound system and multiple subwoofers. There are scenes in the film where you FEEL the action thanks to some very powerful bass at certain moments. It's freakin' awesome!

The Booth Bijou gives 'The Accountant' 5 out of 5 stars!

Mark

Mark,
Saw it yesterday and I COMPLETELY agree with your review. Additionally it gives us a very good insight on that variant of autism which is Asperger's syndrome. Saw the review on Roger Ebert's page where the reviewer gave it barely only 2 stars and I think he must have seen a different film than me.

Raul

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Raul! Yeah, it almost seems like critics were shown a different film than I saw! Go figure!

That said, the Rotten Tomatoes critic score has risen to 52%. So, more than half of the critics liked it. But, more importantly, the RT audience score is currently sitting at 85%!!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_accountant_2016

Sweet validation! :)

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks, Raul! Yeah, it almost seems like critics were shown a different film than I saw! Go figure!

That said, the Rotten Tomatoes critic score has risen to 52%. So, more than half of the critics liked it. But, more importantly, the RT audience score is currently sitting at 85%!!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_accountant_2016

Sweet validation! :)

Mark
Another example of movie critics and the general public not agreeing as to what constitutes an entertaining and good film.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ok, just saw this. Thumbs up! Very entertaining. The action was good, good little bits of humor, and even though the ending (you know what I'm talking about) was predictable, I liked the outcome.

The movie has its flaws, but I'm a sucker for the genre so I was hooked throughout. I'll definitely buy this one when it comes out for the sound of that sniper rifle!

Good stuff, and glad I didn't wait for the home release.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I also saw this weekend and wow this was a fantastic movie. I thought it and a very John Wickish feel to it. At least the action scenes. This could be one of Ben's best movies ever. I hope it gets a UHD release because it is on my must own list. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks