What's new

The Accountant - Oct 14, 2016 (Ben Affleck) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
IMO, a great film!
I guess the brother surprise when they had their initial confrontation on the street.
I hope it does well at the box office because I want a sequel.

Don't remember that scene in particular, but I figured it out when
someone referred to the Affleck character as a "freak" (IIRC) and the Bernthal character gives a "look".

I knew they had to account for the brother in some way - he's conspicuously absent in "adult-era" discussions...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What intrigues me about this movie is that Ben Affleck's character is said to have Asperger's Syndrome, which is the same autism spectrum disorder that I have. That makes the movie fascinating to me. When most people think of autism spectrum disorders in movie characters, most people automatically think "Rain Man". I'm looking forward to seeing a different portrayal of autism on camera.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Who knows where this might lead next for portrayals on autism on screen?

Does the movie specifically call him Asperger? I don't recall that term being used, but I might have forgotten.

As a child, Christian is presented as someone with "full autism", IMO...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Based on audience reviews, it appears 'The Accountant' is the film to see if you are trying to decide between 'The Accountant' and 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' for this weekend. My wife and I plan to give the new Jack Reacher film a chance this afternoon, but I'm going in with very low expectations.

Mark

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If Bruce Wayne was Rain Man... Overall, I treat this like it is in the John Wick genre of suspending your disbelief in order to propel through the film's plot points, so I went with it.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Saw it last night, and found it very good. Ben convincing as someone with high-functional autism (I think he described it), and nice to see Anna Kendrick again, haven't seen her since Up In The Air. Interesting story unfolding, definitely worth a second viewing.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I know, I looked her up after seeing this one and noticed the same thing, but apparently she doesn't make the kind of movies I see (and a bunch of TV series as well).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If Bruce Wayne was Rain Man... Overall, I treat this like it is in the John Wick genre of suspending your disbelief in order to propel through the film's plot points, so I went with it.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

So...Brain Man? Or Wayne Man? Or Brayne Man?

I agree with your assessment. Lots of "don't think too hard about this" moments, so not unlike the better Hong Kong action films where they like to pile on the coincidences. The brother subplot actually seems like something lifted right out of a John Woo film.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So...Brain Man? Or Wayne Man? Or Brayne Man?

I agree with your assessment. Lots of "don't think too hard about this" moments, so not unlike the better Hong Kong action films where they like to pile on the coincidences. The brother subplot actually seems like something lifted right out of a John Woo film.
I don't know about that as I caught on about his brother pretty early in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks