What's new

Pre-Order The Abbott and Costello Show Season One (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Started watching my Blu Ray and Bob and Company outdid themselves with this restoration.
I've only had time to spot-preview bits here and there, but I agree just from what I see. Need to slog through two more days and I can have a nice long break and dive in!

I don't know which episode it is or what season, but there is one episode that has a canned laugh track that repeats and there's this one guy, this one guy steadily going, "Ha-HA-ha-HA-ha-HA-ha-HA-ha-HA-ha-HA.." and it repeats for so long it becomes funny (to me) just because of the repetition!

I intend to make a ringtone out of that. It will be the second most annoying ringtone I have, next to the 30-second loop of the Toppic video logo mystery song! (It's a Youtube thing)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The laughter that you are hearing on the restored season one release is a live audience watching the film and that’s how it was done in 1952. Bud’s sister Olive had a very hearty laugh and is prominent on the track.
Some episodes were subsequently sweetened by various distributors but we have gone back to the original first generation live audience reaction.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Bob over the past week I've not only been watching the episodes but listening to the audio commentaries, something I have mostly neglected to do in the past as they generally put me to sleep. These have been fascinating. Thanks again for this superb release and Merry Christmas!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The laughter that you are hearing on the restored season one release is a live audience watching the film and that’s how it was done in 1952.

I read once that the Car 54, Where are You? show rented out a theater in NYC and showed the episodes to audiences to get the laugh track. Is that what they did for The A&C Show?

In one episode of the "Car" show it sounded like the audience was laughing about something else going on in the theater, rather than the episode. In the post Robbie made above, it made me wonder if that person was trying to laugh in a way that he'd recognize it when he watched the show back on TV?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just ordered this set. It's a blind buy for me, but my Grandma was a big A&C fan, so I'm trusting her judgement on this one!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW Season 1 Blu-ray set that I ordered December 17th finally cleared Canada Customs this afternoon!!
:dancing-banana-04:
:drum:
:banana:

CHEERS! :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
“Undoubtedly the best looking and sounding presentation of a 1950s television series ever released on home video.”

Loving the set and the work that went into this some serious TLC, yes I heard Car 54's laugh tracks were due them being shown to a live audience in a theater, I think Burns and Allen showed episodes to audiences too although I might be wrong. I was lucky enough to see The Cosby Show being filmed at Astoria Kaufman a few times one week Danny Kaye was the guest star. Got to see "Cosby" many and they would always say the audience was miked up so our laughs could sweeten the canned laughter.

Last edited:

brynmill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
mark bale
There were certainly some canned duplicate laughter on the A+C shows on the initial DVD sets. These were looped laughter played again and again in most episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks