What's new

Pre-Order The Abbott and Costello Show Season One (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The MCA logo is not on the original 35mm camera negatives but it is on the 16mm negatives used for syndication prints.

When we realized that logo had been part of the show since day one when it first premiered in October 1951, I knew that it had to be included!

Thanks again, Bob. It's that type of "going the extra mile" that turns a good release into a great release. And all the Abbott & Costello stuff you have been involved in has been superb. It's so nice to have an advocate, someone who genuinely cares, in charge of restoration and release. Between you and Classicflix, the boys have never looked better.

Gary "it's reassuring to know the TV series of my favorite comedy team of all time is in good hands" O.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks again, Bob. It's that type of "going the extra mile" that turns a good release into a great release. And all the Abbott & Costello stuff you have been involved in has been superb. It's so nice to have an advocate, someone who genuinely cares, in charge of restoration and release. Between you and Classicflix, the boys have never looked better.

Gary "it's reassuring to know the TV series of my favorite comedy team of all time is in good hands" O.
Bob Furmanek and his team and partner ClassicFlix are really preserving history!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Bob Furmanek and his team and partner ClassicFlix are really preserving history!
This statement cannot be overestimated! :)

CHEERS! :)
icon_e_worship.gif

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The MCA logo is not on the original 35mm camera negatives but it is on the 16mm negatives used for syndication prints.

When we realized that logo had been part of the show since day one when it first premiered in October 1951, I knew that it had to be included!
Off topic Bob I mentioned to Andrea Kalas at Paramount the great work you do and that you would love to get the right soundtrack restored - Perspecta Sound on hopefully a 4k release of White Christmas! You should reach out to her!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I used to have access to a 35mm dye-transfer Technicolor 1954 print and ran WHITE CHRISTMAS quite often through the restored Fairchild integrator.

I know that Perspecta track like the back of my hand!
Bet the print looked great - dye transfer. Would love to hear the original track,

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
That’s wonderful, thank you and be sure to sample the select surviving episodes with non-audience tracks. They are a revelation!

Merry Christmas!
Those raw audio tracks were considered work elements and discarded when the show was finished back in 1952. The fact that some of them survive today is remarkable. Check out the featurette on disc three, Saving the Negatives.
Good morning Bob. I finally listened to the non-audience tracks. How very strange. The episodes had a completely different feel without the normal laugh tracks. I also listened to the Audio Commentary with Gilbert Gottfried and Frank Santopadre on Getting A Job. I thought they were hysterical, the best one yet. They shed new light on the A&C theme. Almost as funny as the episode itself! When Gilbert mentioned that as a child he was deeply disturbed when he first saw Joe Besser dressed as a little boy, I simply lost it!!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Last night, I viewed THE WESTERN (S01E11). It was this episode I led off from last year, when finally getting around to viewing all of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW Season 1 Episodes on my Complete Series DVD set I had purchased back in 2010. I still remember how painful an experience it was viewing this episode derived from a telecine transfer, and wishing this could look at least as good as their Universal films!

Thanks to Bob Furmanek and his team, and ClassicFlix, wish fulfilled!! :)

Shots like these not featuring closeups look especially rough on the 2010 E Entertainment Complete DVD Series release. NOT HERE!
screenshot083.jpg

Of course, with the western setting, they had to get Sidney Fields in as a character other than his usual landlord role, which he didn't play in this particular episode! (Though the first scene is the boys in their apartment building with Hillary!)
screenshot105.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just let me start by saying, I do appreciate the option of captions and/or subtitles, and I do get that for a segment of the population, they are even essential.

The only problem is captions/subtitles take time and effort to get right, and they don't come without cost. For those who may not be aware, this release was a kick starter project designed to restore an old iconic series to the best possible visual and auditory quality. The latter is something I particularly appreciate, as my hearing hasn't exactly improved with age. Unlike previous DVD releases of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW, which had to rely on sourcing from old telecine transfers, for this ClassicFlix release, the Season 1 episodes were almost entirely sourced from the original camera negatives for both visual and audio.

In short, they look and sound fantastic, with crystal clear audio. No muffled sounding dialogue, which is a bane for anyone who suffers from any kind of hearing impairment. Yes, the prior 2010 THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW COMPLETE SERIES DVD set does include subtitles, but with the unfortunate trade off of raggy looking video and far from crystal clear audio.

That said, to make this release happen obviously required keeping the restoration budget within reason. Hence, no subtitles or captioning. I for one, am really thankful Bob Furmanek and his team chose to focus on Video and Audio restoration, the evidence of which can be seen and heard. This series was in very dire need of both, and I'm greatly looking forward to the release of the second and final season of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW by ClassicFlix!

CHEERS!
icon_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks