What's new

The 13th Warrior. I want a Director's Cut! (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Heh heh heh... I thought I was the only person who liked this movie. It was my third DVD (Blade and 8mm were my first).

I don't know how much better/differant a extended cut could make it, but even as it currently is, I much prefer the second half to the first (The final battle betwixt the Norse and the Vendol is the stuff of sword-flick greatness).

This film sits next to my copy of Event Horizon in my collection of "frequently watched mediocre movies". But not as frequently watched as In the Mouth of Madness (Do you read Sutter Cane?):)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, so I just finished watching it. I still think it never really comes together to form much. Not as much excitement as it seems it should have. Just a series of battles, travel and a few moments of comic relief. I did forget that it seems to have a bit of a tie-in to the legend of Beowulf though. The use of chiltrons has to be at least 8 centuries early, but I doubt anyone was counting on historical accuracy.

What is the name of that Norse religion those guys practiced? It's the one with Odin, Valhalla and all that other Niebelung stuff. I think I have to look it up or it will keep me awake all night.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why would anyone want to make this piece of shit longer? There's no doubting that it had the making of a great film, but the only way salvage it would be to go back to script phase and reshoot the entirety. The whole second half completely abandoned logic, IIRC.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Maybe I need to watch it again. I might have liked it just for the ideas more than the actual filmmaking. To hear some of the comments it seems like I might have glossed over the flaws in my memory.

I will say this, I went into seeing the film with the attitude that it wouldn't be good (both based on trailers and reviews), so its possible I liked it as much for not sucking as I did for it being really good. Guess I need to pull a John and stick this in the rental queue.

MikeRS

Screenwriter
Having enjoyed it twice in the theater and countless times at home, I'm definitely a "fan". Although it has the stench of compromised vision, Man I love them Vikings!! :D

Incredibly charismatic ensemble + themes of courage, honor, and brotherhood + truly scary and mysterious antagonists=

Underated flick.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, the antagonists are interesting, and then they are just dropped. I don't find much courage, honor or brotherhood in this movie, though all the groundwork seems to have been laid for them. In the end, I think it kind of gets started, kind of, but then can't decide what to do. It is so busy getting enough stereotypes and formula squeezed in it forgets to have much of a storyline.

It reminds me a lot of The Art of War with Wesley Snipes in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks