What's new

Thanks guys! My new JVC 500BK is on the way! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Is there one that will properly convert pal to ntsc to a standard ntsc tv or would he need a multisytem tv as well?
The Apex can't do a proper conversion. You'll need either one of the recent models from JVC, Malata, Conia, Classic and one or two other brands which I can't remember at the moment. It needs to have the Mediamatics chip to do proper conversion. The above brand names all have models using this chip.

Jeff

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit

Thanks a lot for the info. So which model numbers in particular of the above mentioned brands have this mediamatics chip? I've looked at the ones at the laser exchange site and it doesn't say.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I'm a little bit more confused now. I looked at that site and the only one JVC model listed there goes for about $900.

Basically all im looking for is someone to point me in the right direction of any affordable region free player that will properly display the appropriate picture with out alterations as the apex does.

If the ones laser exchange sells i.e. the JVC XV-S500 would do the job than that would be great. If there is another model recommended I welcome the suggestions. I'm just apprehensive of spending that much money and having the same problem my friend had with the apex.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
. . . :emoji_thumbsup: WOW ! ! ! :emoji_thumbsup:
...now there's a site that really deserves to be bookmarked!
. . . :D . . .

Eujin

Supporting Actor
I second the recommendation for JVB--excellent service. And for the record, I actually think the JVC produces a better picture than even the players with the Faroudja chip--particularly the Panny RP56 and RP82 (I've owned both).

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I ordered the JVC-500 over the weekend and just got it today. I am so amazed at how great of a player it is and overall it's the best i've ever owned.

My only regret is not knowing about it sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I purchased mine from hkflix.com they offer it for $265 with free ups ground shipping. I upgraded the shipping to next day though since i couldn't wait.

I think that is the cheapest you will find it most places i've seen it for went over $300 not including shipping.

It is definitely worth the investment.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I think the difference is that the hkflix has been
modified to play all regions and convert PAL discs
to an NSTC format that US TV's can play.
I have checked with others that will modify your
existing JVC play and they want $80 for the modification
and $20 shipping. So the $100 over market prices for
a JVC 500 is still in line with what hkflix's price.

The question is, do you NEED multiregion play-ability?

I have several discs that are Region 2 UK - PAL discs.
I can only play them on a computer or a multiregion
machine that will convert the signal from PAL to NTSC.

(P.S. I plan on getting a JVC, my Apex is a piece of junk)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
No it's not. That's why I was asking if it could be had anywhere else for less than $243 shipped. HKFlix is $265 shipped.
I've done extensive researching over the internet this weekend and I really don't think your going to find this model that cheap. hkflix has it for $50 cheaper shipped than what laserexchange is selling it at and I had no problems using them but it's not that im telling you to order from them its just my opinion. Everywhere else I looked was anywhere from $289 and up before shipping.

This is a definitely a high quality player and you will get your moneys worth out of it.

Hope this helps.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Order Date: Wed Nov 20 15:51:46 2002
JVC XV-S500 DVD Multi Region Built-in Converter -Color
Black $ 229.99
Sub Total: $ 229.99
Shipping: $ 15.00
Shipping Method: UPS Ground
Tax: $ 0.00
Grand Total: $ 244.99

I'll post the e-tailer after it ships. I am being a guinea pig right now. That's $20 less than HKFlix.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Good Luck Chris.

I'm very curious to know where you got it from. I wish I could have saved some money but i didnt want to wait anymore.

I may order another in the future so maybe if you have a good experience with this place i'll order as well.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Sure thing. I am just waiting for some sort of tracking number or proof it's in stock and on it's way. I am getting this as an X-Mas present, since I already have a Malata 996 and they don't sell those anymore (and the 520's and 3600's seem to have less features and a lot of buggy units out there so JVC is the way to go for now).

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Make sure you check which firmware you're getting before you buy the JVC. I know the ones shipping from HKFlix have been modified to be set at Region 0 while some vendors are still selling them that requires the region to be changed manually. It's just a few keystrokes but I like the fact that I never have to bother with it on the one I got from HKFlix. Also, there are supposedly some out there with an ICOS mod which has added X/Y scaling, although I don't know who is selling this version....but they do exist.
Also, the JVC's that come from HKFlix can do the fade-subtitles which are necessary to properly play both of the Star Wars films. Some of the earlier 500's have an older Mediamatics chip which will not.
I see 220electronics.com has this player for around $230 also. I don't know which firmware they have though.
Jeff

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
Also, the JVC's that come from HKFlix can do the fade-subtitles which are necessary to properly play both of the Star Wars films. Some of the earlier 500's have an older Mediamatics chip which will not
Make sure even if you buy from HKFlix that you check that it WILL play the subs. I bought one just a few weeks ago from them and it will NOT play the subs. I guess that if I had waited a couple of weeks it would have but the strange thing is that some people who placed orders before me are reporting no problems. They even have serial numbers that are lower than mine. It is not that big of a deal but would have been nice if it could play them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks